Grand Forks, North Dakota

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I couldn't tell you about that town specifically, but in general 18-24 year olds living away from home for the first time aren't most people's first choice as renters and that describes a lot of military folks.
I suppose in some areas, but typically the kids fresh out of basic/tech school etc are forced to live in the dorms on a base. Unless you're married, of course.

As for the weed use, that makes sense. Is it that big in North Dakota, though? I'm from Northern California and went to school at University of Oregon so I'm definitely no stranger to college kids and weed :p Figured it wouldn't be as popular/easily obtainable in a place like Grand Forks, ND, though. As for parties: military people are pretty big into partying from my experience, haha.

I'll check out the ROTC people, didn't even think of that.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't agree with you at all. Up here in Alberta, everyone plugs their cars in during the winter, diesel or not. Because when it's -20C or colder at night, if you don't there's a good chance you won't even be able to start your car the next day, and if you do, it will make some pretty horrible sounds for the first minute or two. I don't know if we're all that much colder than Montana or North Dakota in the winter. There's no reason to NOT plug your car in other than the utility costs, and it will make a significant difference in the longevity of your engine.
Yeah, when it's been -30 actual here my car has a pretty hard time and it's a 2013. I started plugging it in and poof, issue went away.

When I lived up north where it was routinely -65+ windchills you either had a block heater or you stayed home until it was warm enough for your car to start.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Damn, other people actually live up here? I've lived in Bismarck ND my whole life, so the cold winters up here are all I know. I had a lot of shitty older vehicles growing up, and even then I can say I can only remember plugging in any of them about 10 times tops and never had a problem even on the coldest days. My wife has to plug her current car in every night in the winter, but thats the only vehicle I've ever owned that won't start in the cold, and that's mainly because it needs a new starter and battery.

Get used to frigid ass cold spells and snowstorms in the winter though like others have said. And it's a lot different here when we get storms. Down south and whatnot, if they get a couple inches of snow, everything shuts down for days. Up here, it's not irregular a few times a year to have a 12-18 inch snowstorm over the course of a night, 50-60 below with windchill etc, and the emergency routes are opened up by morning and everyone is on their way to work as if it's just any other day. Just stock up on some food, turn the heat up, and expect to hole up for the weekends when there are storms. Roads get pretty quiet on blizzard weekends. As someone else said too, the snow doesn't melt here until spring. Snow plows have lately been literally piling snow into ours and others front lawns because there is just no where else to put it all. In 2009, Bismarck had 100.2" of snow. That's over 9' of snow that doesn't melt until spring. Floods get bad when we get a fast warm spell in the spring and everything melts all at once. That was the year they had to shut down Garrison Dam for the first time in its history and we had a 100 year flood.

When it comes to driving, any front wheel drive vehicle is fine up here. They are good at keeping roads cleared up here, and I can't think of a single time I ever got stuck driving many 2WD's in town. You're more likely to spin on the ice due to shitty tires. Also, they don't salt the roads here in ND which is nice so you don't have to deal with rusting out your vehicle early, but they do put a lot of sand on the roads so your vehicle will get dirty more often. If I can say one thing though, stay off the highways after snowfall unless you absolutely have to take them. 95% of the winter accidents happen on the highway. Always people in ditches after a storm. The few times I have had to take the highway the morning after a storm, even like 5 miles, I've seen multiple cars in ditches. Pileups happen on occasion too on the highways.

Enjoy cheap prices though. Rent is cheap, food is cheap, etc. Out west by Dickinson is a different story, but even in Bismarck it hasn't gone up real crazy yet. Too far driving that the oil field workers don't get out this way a whole lot. Grand Forks has a lot of frat houses and is a college town so there is somewhat of a decent night scene. The people up here are as others have said pretty laid back and nice. It's nothing like the Fargo movie/show, and there really aren't that many Norwegian's up here unless your talking only about 80 year olds. It's pretty much like anywhere else, you've got Germans, Irish, etc. Very few Native Americans, and very few minorities though. June is a good time to come up here though. You'll get a pretty nice summer and maybe ease into the shock that is ND winters.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So this is a long shot, but I'm looking to buy a house up here in Grand Forks instead of rent since it's cheap as fuck up here and I can get a decent, newer place with a mortgage that will be lower than rent (plus could then rent a bedroom out and really save some money).

Anyone have any real estate expertise for the area?

Sterling

El Presidente
Grand Forks is still really that cheap? That shit is crazy. Out west it's retarded. Williston has the highest rent in the country now.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm literally in Dickinson, ND at the moment. Leaving today though out of Bismarck. People up here drive 5 miles under the speed limit and it's irritating.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This thread has really made me miss ND. If my wife and I hadn't committed to staying near our parents while our little girl grows up, I would be going all in on convincing her to move out to Fargo. I've lived all over the country and I am not certain I've ever enjoyed a place more than I enjoyed the ND, cold ass superwinters and all.