Grand Theft Auto V

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wonder when we'll ever see a large online MMO-style launch that actually goes off flawlessly?

You'd think that at this point, there would be enough information and experience within the industry that things would go smoother, yet they never, ever do. Doesn't matter how large the company, whether it's Blizzard, Rockstar, Maxis, whatever. They all screw it up to varying degrees.
Why should they bother? The internet is apparently now full of raging assholes who white knight for these large corporations and call everyone who dares to expect a working product "entitled". It's all over every big forum, just as it was when FFXIV's problems were at their worst. There's no reason for anyone to ever argue with their bean counters about delivering far less server capacity than is actually needed for a service.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Here's the question you ask yourself. If they don't buy enough servers (or even rent enough) to deal with first week capacity... Will it stop you from buying and playing the game? If the answer isn't "yes" then we are going to have to just deal with this situation being the norm.

Needless

Toe Sucker
009e22b5_beating_a_dead_horse.jpeg

You bad.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That doesn't really excuse it. All that says is that that they're not willing to take a few coins out of their Mega-Money Bin to make things run properly. With the amount of money and resources Rockstar has it's pretty obnoxious that they would do this. They already spent like $265 million to make the game, what's a little more?
Nah, they said straight up there would be growing pains, and I'm fine with that. I don't think it has anything to do with them not wanting to spend money on it, its their first foray into such a large MMO type scape, there's going to be troubles. The thing is, I can't care because it costs me nothing. GTA Online is a free bonus for buying GTA 5, essentially.

If I was paying a sub, or bought a box copy and couldn't register it and play, then I'd have a reason to bitch. As it stands, this is going to be around for awhile, cost essentially nothing, and is purely a prototype for a real GTA MMO it looks like, so I just can't bring myself to care.

Give them time, it'll work.

Think Red Dead had some MP issues when it launched too.

will experience growing pains according to Rockstar - National Console Gaming | Examiner.com

September 25, 2013

The launch of Grand Theft Auto V's multiplayer component, Grand Theft Auto Online, is just a few days away and Rockstar Games gave a preview Wednesday of what players should expect at launch on Oct. 1. While discussing the features that will be available at launch the developer also warned PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers to expect growing pains.

GTA V has already had a bit of a rocky launch as buyers of the game have experienced issues connecting with the Rockstar Social Club and iFruit app. The developer says that this is due in part to the number of people trying to connect which it expects to be even worse when GTA Online launches.

"One thing we are already aware of, and are trying to alleviate as fast as we can, is the unanticipated additional pressure on the servers due to a significantly higher number of players than we were anticipating at this point - we are working around the clock to buy and add more servers, but this increased scale is only going to make the first few days even more temperamental than such things usually are," Rockstar wrote on its website.

Those that run into issues have two ways to inform Rockstar Games of their trouble. The first is the email address,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */, which will be available on Oct. 1 when Grand Theft Auto Online launches. The second is by heading to the GTA Online Forums at the Rockstar Social Club and making a post there.

"There will be the typical growing pains for an online game, including but not limited to crashes, glitches, crazy bugs, gameplay modes and mechanics that need re-balancing and other surprises!" Rockstar explained.

"Even in GTAV Story Mode, some of you may have seen a few odd and even amusing little glitches out there last week. This sort of thing is inevitable in a massive open-world game and there'll surely be lots more unexpected oddities like this in the Online world next week - rest assured we'll be monitoring and actively doing all we can to smooth such things out as they happen, but we need your help to find them, as well as your feedback to help fine tune all of the game's systems so everything is perfectly balanced."

khalid

Unelected Mod
As others have said, the reason that MP always is a clusterfuck initially is its really impossible to plan around the HUGE influx of people you will have initially compared to the much much lower numbers you will have after the first few days.

It is free and extra to one of the best SP games this generation. Ain't no thing.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't like that you can find all players on your server using the map.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
awww cant even get the first street race to load, anyone else stuck on that shit? just stuck on launching session foreverrrrrrr.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
awww cant even get the first street race to load, anyone else stuck on that shit? just stuck on launching session foreverrrrrrr.
I had the same problem. Created my character, was picked up from the airport and then the street race was stuck on the loading screen for about 10 minutes. No big deal. I haven't beaten the story yet so maybe online will be stable by then.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
working for me now, is there anyway to aim your gun/weapon while driving WITHOUT it shooting constantly?

i tried looking at all the options in game controller setups nothing came up.

Anyone else on xbox? add me asleepdanzzz

Sean_sl

shitlord
Uh, no, that patch you downloaded today was GTAO, bro.
Lulz, yes, a 38 meg patch is totally GTAO. My bad.

Seriously though, no one should consider this a "free bonus". It is all content that you own and paid for and it's pretty absurd that it's been locked forweeksand still doesn't work.

MattEnth_sl

shitlord
Uh, no, that patch you downloaded today was GTAO, bro.
Got it. So what you're saying is that GTAO is 38 MB downloaded, andnoneof it is on my disc?

I'll admit that GTAO is at least a little bit more gray as the genre has traditionally been single player. But at the same time, it does feel alittlerushed. At first, I thought the GTAO delay was there to try to combat used games - hold back some awesome content to intentionally delay people from reselling the game early. Now, it seems like they just weren't ready initially and needed the extra time.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Got it. So what you're saying is that GTAO is 38 MB downloaded, andnoneof it is on my disc?

I'll admit that GTAO is at least a little bit more gray as the genre has traditionally been single player. But at the same time, it does feel alittlerushed. At first, I thought the GTAO delay was there to try to combat used games. Now, it seems like they just weren't ready initially and needed the extra time.
I'm saying that GTA Online is a fucking bonus MP tacked onto a single player game and that it wasn't even accessible when the game launched, so pretending you've been ripped off by not being able to access GTA Online the very second it comes online and play as if it has been running for a year worth of bug patches is a hysterical overreaction to the situation which cost you nothing more than what you would have paid anyway to buy GTA 5 whether it had a multiplayer component or not, as evidenced by the fact that you did buy the game a full two weeks before the online component became active, and almost certainly played a large portion if not all of the single player in the meantime.

Its like complaining that the free popcorn you got with a movie ticket didn't have butter on it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sean may have gone full retard in the last thread, but he's absolutely right this time.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm saying that GTA Online is a fucking bonus MP tacked onto a single player game and that it wasn't even accessible when the game launched, so pretending you've been ripped off by not being able to access GTA Online the very second it comes online and play as if it has been running for a year worth of bug patches is a hysterical overreaction to the situation which cost you nothing more than what you would have paid anyway to buy GTA 5 whether it had a multiplayer component or not, as evidenced by the fact that you did buy the game a full two weeks before the online component became active, and almost certainly played a large portion if not all of the single player in the meantime.

Its like complaining that the free popcorn you got with a movie ticket didn't have butter on it.
Idiots like you are why consumer rights are being destroyed. It's product we bought and paid for and it's on the disc we own. It is not some free bonus and you are abad personfor thinking like you do.