Grand Theft Auto V

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Does Sean's Baddie Buddies Fanclub just follow him around and shit up every thread now? I didn't realize there were so many women on this forum. Wait, I hope I'm not docked a review point because this post was misogynistic.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Does Sean's Baddie Buddies Fanclub just follow him around and shit up every thread now? I didn't realize there were so many women on this forum. Wait, I hope I'm not docked a review point because this post was misogynistic.
Nope you won't be docked a point because that review was made by a guy that turned into a woman and thought it was misogynistic even though she was a man but....

Wait...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Confirmed Seanfucker?

Is Sean's pussy oh so sweet? mmmmmmmmm

What is your satisfaction level as a percentage?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Man, my fanclub has really grown from all of this. The obsession some of you have with me is immensely delightful.
Making a few posts when the opportunity presents itself is hardly a fan club. When you're not saying retarded stuff, you don't get negative posts directed at you. It's pretty simple.

On a side note, I was actually able to get in and play half a race before I got kicked. Progress.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
good man
rrr_img_44908.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
BBC Article_sl said:
"At a conservative estimate I would expect about two million players to log on to GTA Online within the first 24 hours," added Keza MacDonald, UK games editor for IGN.com, the video game and entertainment site.

"Rockstar has never done an online game of this scale before, so they are totally unproven in terms of their network infrastructure.

"And even the highly successful World of Warcraft at its peak didn't have as many people playing online at once as GTA is likely to have, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were problems."
So, I'm no network analyst whiz kid, but isn't Grand Theft Auto Online going to be basically be unprecedented in terms of the number of concurrent players? Is there another game that is even close (that's not just a matchmaking service like Starcraft or whatever)? I just don't think that there's any realistic possibility that the game would work perfect right off the bat, because no one's attempted something on this scale before. I doubt it's even a matter of money invested on infrastructure, they're probably throwing money at it. And with services like Amazon and other massive data farms, it's not like they even need to build physical infrastructure.

The only way they could realistically release something like this without huge problems is stagger the release and slowly scale it up. But I think we all know that the Sean's of this world would lose their fucking shit if they attempted that. No one flies a new jumbo jet around the world on the first go, or commissions a large ship in a day. Mega-projects like that are slowly tested out and problems are resolved as they ramp things up to full performance. Unfortunately that kind of thing simply can't be done with most online video games because of the optics of restricting access initially, and everyone loses their shit over it, when they should just damn well know better.

Honestly, has anyone released a massive online game without some initial problems, ever? Maybe it's not because the companies are greedy or awful or incompetent. Maybe it's because it's just not possible.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Interesting but hopefully not permanent glitch: My social club stats are all empty right now, as if I've never played the game...

a_skeleton_04

<Banned>
So, I'm no network analyst whiz kid, but isn't Grand Theft Auto Online going to be basically be unprecedented in terms of the number of concurrent players? Is there another game that is even close (that's not just a matchmaking service like Starcraft or whatever)? I just don't think that there's any realistic possibility that the game would work perfect right off the bat, because no one's attempted something on this scale before. I doubt it's even a matter of money invested on infrastructure, they're probably throwing money at it. And with services like Amazon and other massive data farms, it's not like they even need to build physical infrastructure.

The only way they could realistically release something like this without huge problems is stagger the release and slowly scale it up. But I think we all know that the Sean's of this world would lose their fucking shit if they attempted that. No one flies a new jumbo jet around the world on the first go, or commissions a large ship in a day. Mega-projects like that are slowly tested out and problems are resolved as they ramp things up to full performance. Unfortunately that kind of thing simply can't be done with most online video games because of the optics of restricting access initially, and everyone loses their shit over it, when they should just damn well know better.

Honestly, has anyone released a massive online game without some initial problems, ever? Maybe it's not because the companies are greedy or awful or incompetent. Maybe it's because it's just not possible.
As someone who does work on large software projects such as this, in essence the answer is yes. Shaking the gremlins out of infrastructure is incredibly difficult, and every new setup is almost always different, and what you did on one project at one place though good experience, will help but only pieces of it will be similar.

I go through it with every project, and every company, and I have had really brilliant people around me and to learn from, and of course sometimes, not so brilliant people, but usually that is not the underlying issue. Large scale projects of any sort, take lots of planning and architecting and testing, and usually we are not given the luxury of time.

In a way I am happy though because it is definitely job security. If it were easy and things like 'this is the year whatever' stuff were true, script kiddies would be taking muh jerb.

Edit to add: And yes, the number of people with experience with online concurrent users of this numbers is probably very low at various key points of the infrastructure - programming, netcode, DB, hardware and they all have to play together well.

Fadaar

That guy
I got killed by a cop while standing on the side of the road calling a cab (didn't feel like driving from downtown out to BFE). Car he's pursuing flies by me, then the cop car apparently caught some air and in his pursuit took my head off with his bumper. Ouch.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Did they change Michael's loser car from red to black?

My modified red Dodge Neon is now a ... black, modified not a Neon..

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
he gets his original car back from his son, not sure if the mods are always the same but he put some gay ass dollar sign wheels on mine.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just drove up on two dudes in a mobile home having sex. They killed me.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm just past the point where the aznz try to kill mike in the meat processing plant, but he's saved by Frank. I character-switch-forced Trevor and Mike to meet face to face right after that. They just had a little convo about hating each other.