Grand Theft Auto VI

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I remember in the mid 90s there was a game that cost a whopping $1 million to develop. Can't remember what it was, but people wondered how they would ever recoop the costs. Now we have $2 billion dollar games. And you know they are not just going to earn it back by box sales. It's going to be monetised to hell. Still, crazy sums.

You sure it was the 90s? FF7 cost around $50 mil back in '97 and goes past $100 mil if you include marketing

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, these games are getting so advanced that I don't see how AAA games continue to move forward without becoming prohibitively expensive.

Imagine an open world Elden Ring scale game on the PS6 built ground-up in whatever the latest version of UE5 is by then. Sure it'll sell gangbusters, but it'll cost so much to make that a lot of dev studios are going to either fall by the wayside or go all-in with the "retro" market and making games that look like NES games.

At the rate AI is going, though, it might be the saving grace for AAA development. If they get it to where AI can do a lot of the heavy lifting, maybe things continue progressing and we don't end up in a nightmarish hellscape of NES-style beat 'em ups and a couple actual advanced AAA Ubisoft games.
Keep in mind GTA is now a basically GAS game that lasts a decade or more. Is monetized with cash shops and DLC and they keep releasing content and freshening up the game. and im sure the monetization of GT6 will be cranked up to 11 this time around. This is not really a single player game anymore as the earlier iterations of GTA were. So in reality they are spending the $2bil upfront but they have ways of getting people to shell out money long term. supposedly this game has the biggest open world in a game of its kind as well. It will definitely set standards as far as content goes. I think this is not really setting a precedent on cost of game, but more like is one of a kind franchise. BG3 cost like $100 million and look at what we got.

There isnt too many of these types of GAS games on the market but ones like Warframe, Destiny 2, make hundreds of millions of dollars each year. And they have no where near the unit sales that GTA5 had which is like almost 200 million units sold since 2013.

GTA V is the second best-selling video game of all time with over 185 million copies shipped across different platforms. Additionally, with about $8 billion in worldwide revenue, it is one of the most financially successful products of all time.

So it just seems like they are cranking shit up to 11 with everything about GTA6. Including their revenue projections. IF this 2 billion dollars to make is even true. I would like to hear this from the source rather than rumors and innuendos because it is a figure that is orders of magnitude greater than anything before it and kind of hard to believe. If it holds true the dev costs per year over the span of development from 2014 to 2025 is something like $165 million per year, which is crazy. Its like making a AAA title game every year.

Last edited:

Rude

Potato del Grande
Any potential faggotry aside, the GTA Trilogy "remaster" was a steaming pile of shit. That alone will make sure this isn't a day one purchase for me.

• 3Like
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Have a link of all the info? I know about the "hack" and the leaked images, possible female protagonist, etc. But I didn't know it included info that GTA 6 has an op ex cost of 2 bil. Considering that even Star Citizen has only spent 400m, I find that really hard to believe. But if you have the deetz, link 'em.

A bit later some folks stated (and the hacker too) that the 2 billion was the total budget earmarked. So going back to that this would include everything. Development, DLC, online seasons, marketing, print, distribution, music licensing, etc for the duration of the life of GTA6. Total of 2 Billion.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Elden Ring cost about $200M and BotW about $120M per the inter webs. I believe the ER. Not so much the BotW bc Nintendo is woefully inefficient.

If $2BN for GTA6, maybe this will be a death for bloated AAA games but it won’t kill the entirety of AAA development.

Fuck, even Jedi Survivor is purported to have cost around $300M.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My guess it will be filled with woke nonsense and instead of being able to kill anyone you choose, the alphabet NPCs will be invulnerable to any type of violence and if you continue to attack them you'll be lit up by a flying alphabet mob like chickens in Link to the Past.

• 2Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 3 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I love how the actual evidence for shitting on Kirun Kirun about the budget is not actual financial documents but the analysis and integrity of a hacker saying the budget is $2 billion dollars -- which even then doesn't mean that 2 billion has been spent or will be spent and includes no timeframe or breakdown.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
The "budget" could just be a forecast of it's life cycle costs since they're going to be maintaining an online portion of the game with regular content updates for several years after the initial release.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I love how the actual evidence for shitting on Kirun Kirun about the budget is not actual financial documents but the analysis and integrity of a hacker saying the budget is $2 billion dollars -- which even then doesn't mean that 2 billion has been spent or will be spent and includes no timeframe or breakdown.

Well, in previous posts I mentioned it came from the data leak. Later folks analyzed the dollars budgeted (Assuming it was high level) and saw that it correlated across the entire project scope from where it was initially thought to be development for just the launch. Which the hacker later admitted was read wrong. So it's been toned down to $2 billion total project scope budget for the entire life of GTA 6. So that will include Pre-Production, Ramp, Development, Mainlining, Launch, Marketing, licensing, localization, etc. From there Development/launch of the online component in conjunction with PC (usually 3rd party). Then seasonal content and live teams for the GaaS component, development teams for both seasonal and DLC, and then all the buckets of costs listed in launch all over again - on what was initially from 2014 to 2025; an 11 year launch cycle combined with massive inflation we have seen and a rather unique labor market currently. Over a 10 year budget lifecycle that really isn't too hard to imagine. Meaning this budget spans 21 years.

On the flip side, it was a slack hack, however be it able to access source code. So since he accessed source code, accessing budgetary data for a game being developed (Along with all the clips we saw) is easily done. But I do say slack hack because he could have just seen some low level designer talk about budget in a space message, an IM, or high level executive chatter. From what he pulled was a graphical. Maybe a combination of the two.

Either way, no one should be shocked that with economic factors, labor factors, and inflation and GaaS mainstream that projects have much longer budgets planned. Couple the fact that $265 million is $340 million today in just a short ten years, it makes sense depending on the output which we haven't seen yet.

And that key critical component - this is (More than likely but speculation at this point) a 21 year budget.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The "budget" could just be a forecast of it's life cycle costs since they're going to be maintaining an online portion of the game with regular content updates for several years after the initial release.
Yeah, that all seems plausible. Just worth noting the original comment about this said SPENT, not budgeted, and that's what led to the doubting response.

Just like Star Citizen has only spent hundreds of millions thus far but is budgeted for approximately one quadrillion by the time the future generations actually develop galaxy spanning space travel and no longer require the game.

• 1Worf

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Plus. We all love to parachute in the dog pile with half baked facts and arguing the wrong point. This is a way of life.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The outrage seems to be a viseral reaction to them accurately portraying what Florida and the US are like. Brown and proud.

• 1Picard

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The outrage seems to be a viseral reaction to them accurately portraying what Florida and the US are like. Brown and proud.
Aint no one wanting to see shawkneeqwas twerk as a marquee advertisement.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Aint no one wanting to shawkneeqwas twerk as a marquee advertisement.
But you don't know if it's satire making fun of it or wokeness celebrating it.

It's placement amoungst Florida man memes suggests the former, though it's American made media so I see why you assume the worst.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

It's placement amoungst Florida man memes suggests the former, though it's American made media so I see why you assume the worst.

Either way, I expect to be able to shoot the bitch in the ass and steal her $40.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I read it on the internet and it confirms my ego invested opinion, so therefore it must be true. Also, 17 year old hackers are notoriously 100% correct. And if you want hard facts, you're straight trolling dawg.

2 billion is over half of Take-Two's 2022 fiscal revenue, almost 5x their operating cash on-hand, and roughly 7.5% of the company's entire market cap.

Even if the 2 bil has been walked back(probably because people realized it's total bullshit and doesn't line up financially, so they moved the goalposts to be "right")as a "lifetime" expense, I still find that amount tough to believe.

• 1Hodjing

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Theres absolutely nothing that gives me faith this incarnation will be remotely "even handed".

Chris

Potato del Grande
Theres absolutely nothing that gives me faith this incarnation will be remotely "even handed".
Gaming has moved on in the last 10 years, the game is going to be CoD/2k Sport tier normie shit, it'll make money and be unsatisfying for hardcore gamers who have been spoiled by Elden Ring/Cyberpunk/Baldur's Gate 3.

It's not worth being upset about

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I read it on the internet and it confirms my ego invested opinion, so therefore it must be true. Also, 17 year old hackers are notoriously 100% correct. And if you want hard facts, you're straight trolling dawg.

2 billion is over half of Take-Two's 2022 fiscal revenue, almost 5x their operating cash on-hand, and roughly 7.5% of the company's entire market cap.

Even if the 2 bil has been walked back(probably because people realized it's total bullshit and doesn't line up financially, so they moved the goalposts to be "right")as a "lifetime" expense, I still find that amount tough to believe.

You should probably be looking at this:

Specifically tied to loss of operations. Page 3.

Also liquid cash and equivalent is over 700 million so not sure where you are getting 5x the discussed 21 year budget.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>

Except I didn't make the claim that the $2B number was definitely correct. I expressed incredulity at the claim, and asked the thread for verification while mockingly comparing the claim to overbloated defense contractor budgets. Which you took and ran with in your breathless idiocy as sperging and listening to social media in a confirmation bias inspired red mist of seething hatred.

Let me be clear, I am expressing indifference and mockery at Rockstar's potential wokery and incompetence, not hatred. As myself and others have mentioned the wokery might be there but also might be mocked as in past games, and that's fine. The $2B might be worth it because it makes back 10, or 15, or some other crazy number. Who knows at this point?

But to exaggerate any criticism -be it well-reasoned or wrong-headed- into the equivalent of someone having a spittle-flecked meltdown in an attempt at shaming and deflecting away from any issues the game may end up having is just hurting your own credibility as a poster.

• 1Truth!