Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I find most regular casserole dishes too shallow for just about everything the way I make stuff, so have been thinking of going the route of roasting pans with higher walls that can be used as casserole or lasagna pans.

Have thought to just do several smaller lasagnas in bread loaf pans, too. Able to do more than one type easier and cook faster.
The problem I have is if I'm going to make it I'm making a bunch. I guess if you squared down the amount of ingredients you had on hand, you could easily use just a small loaf pan and have maybe one or two meals out of it. Still though the Misen place it's going to be pretty much the same, so it's do you go through the effort to make this dish small, or do you make enough to eat on it for a week. Cutting a half onion versus a whole onion or bell pepper etc is literally seconds.

I still am very interested in that three tub tray. That could be a lot of fun with just using up whatever ingredients you have and trying out new concoctions.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone have any experience or opinions with one of these air fryers?

View attachment 527595

View attachment 527596

View attachment 527597

Any thoughts on any of these?
I have a Cuisinart, that's not a big model and I'm not certain which deal it is, but I find that we're using it constantly. I'm very happy with it especially for the fact that we got it free from one of our neighbors who never used it. It makes everything taste so much better.

IMG_20240505_105924760_HDR.jpg

If I had to hazard a guess those larger models are probably pretty amazing. I have a feeling here in the future I'll probably upgrade to something more sizable like that. I just never thought I would end up using ours as much as we do but I find it so convenient, and I like the fact that I'm not having to turn the oven on to heat up the entire house.

Cuisinart doesn't fuck around. I got a food processor back when I was in college for Christmas, and that thing is a tank. They really make consumer/professional grade equipment, or at least that's my experience. Take it with a grain of salt or whatever, but I think it's a safe purchase.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a Cuisinart, that's not a big model and I'm not certain which deal it is, but I find that we're using it constantly. I'm very happy with it especially for the fact that we got it free from one of our neighbors who never used it. It makes everything taste so much better.

View attachment 527608

If I had to hazard a guess those larger models are probably pretty amazing. I have a feeling here in the future I'll probably upgrade to something more sizable like that. I just never thought I would end up using ours as much as we do but I find it so convenient, and I like the fact that I'm not having to turn the oven on to heat up the entire house.

Cuisinart doesn't fuck around. I got a food processor back when I was in college for Christmas, and that thing is a tank. They really make consumer/professional grade equipment, or at least that's my experience. Take it with a grain of salt or whatever, but I think it's a safe purchase.
does your cuisinart stay on for 1hour? my ninja stays on(fan) for 1hr afterwards to expell the heat

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
does your cuisinart stay on for 1hour? my ninja stays on(fan) for 1hr afterwards to expell the heat
No, it seems to cut off right after the designated time period within maybe 10 seconds or so. I know the damn thing is basically a convection toaster oven, but I do find when I'm heating up certain things or maybe roasting a little bit of vegetables as a side dish, it's wonderful.

I never thought I would use it but the white brought it home because the neighbor was going to pitch it, and I'm finding more and more uses for it.

I really have thought about trying to get a bigger model and if I was going to go with anything I would probably get Cuisinart, because any piece of cooking equipment I've had by them is not ever shit the bed.

I wonder if yours just gets maybe a lot hotter and if it's a cool down phase.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, it seems to cut off right after the designated time period within maybe 10 seconds or so. I know the damn thing is basically a convection toaster oven, but I do find when I'm heating up certain things or maybe roasting a little bit of vegetables as a side dish, it's wonderful.

I never thought I would use it but the white brought it home because the neighbor was going to pitch it, and I'm finding more and more uses for it.

I really have thought about trying to get a bigger model and if I was going to go with anything I would probably get Cuisinart, because any piece of cooking equipment I've had by them is not ever shit the bed.

I wonder if yours just gets maybe a lot hotter and if it's a cool down phase.
yea i even thought about leave the door open after i'm done to expel the heat faster, but my clumsy ass would probably find a way to smash into it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea i even thought about leave the door open after i'm done to expel the heat faster, but my clumsy ass would probably find a way to smash into it
Does it not do an auto shut off? The pretty bare Bones one that we have is basically a cooking timer. It seems that within the last few minutes of the cooking cycle it ramps down the airflow as almost so cooling off period.

I took a little bit of time to just kind of figure out what the appropriate temps were, cook times, etc. but I'm still amazing how useful it is.

My wife uses it all the time to just take some broccoli or sweet potatoes and roast them in 15 minutes and throw over some quinoa. I don't like that but I do like those things, but when she's just wanting a simple lunch or dinner if I'm not going to cook, it does a bang up job.

I'm finding that I probably use it at least a few times a week, and it is extremely wonderful for heating up leftovers specifically if something has a crust to it, such as chicken or fish.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Countertop ovens are one of the few things I always get the protection plan. There's usually something wrong by three years, or the thing is just getting too dirty inside, especially with air fryer splatter, and I just claim it doesn't get to temp anymore.

On my 3rd one where I just rent it for 2-3 years for $15 or $20. Amazon just credits a gift balance directly these days I believe. Have to save the box or they make it a hassle and can pretend it was damaged in return shipping.

Edit: we use one daily for reheating, breakfast bacon or potatoes, or just if the main oven is being used at a different temp or if it's something small. Great appliances. Really want a rotisserie one next.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Does it not do an auto shut off? The pretty bare Bones one that we have is basically a cooking timer. It seems that within the last few minutes of the cooking cycle it ramps down the airflow as almost so cooling off period.

I took a little bit of time to just kind of figure out what the appropriate temps were, cook times, etc. but I'm still amazing how useful it is.

My wife uses it all the time to just take some broccoli or sweet potatoes and roast them in 15 minutes and throw over some quinoa. I don't like that but I do like those things, but when she's just wanting a simple lunch or dinner if I'm not going to cook, it does a bang up job.

I'm finding that I probably use it at least a few times a week, and it is extremely wonderful for heating up leftovers specifically if something has a crust to it, such as chicken or fish.
yea it autoshut off, just seems like it takes hours for temp to wind down

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It's about as Mexican as apple pie but you have to admit they're pretty tasty.
I still get a hankering for them at times. I'll keep cans of chili and the pantry to do things like Frito pie, chili cheese fries, or a chili cheese baked potato when I'm feeling lazy about dinner.

Trader Joe's actually has some like pretty decent Frito chips that are relatively large, but they're wonderful for scooping things like hummus or other dips you can make. They're also probably the best to stand up to chili for the perfect Frito pie

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users