Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Fook you, ya prick. But yeah, you got it right.

Continuing on with the Feast of Meat, and since it's a beautiful evening, I'm gonna grill some burgers and have some in-laws over. I scratch made potato salad, baked beans, and bread pudding with lemon sauce.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Interesting that you say the slow cooked heaven was the "side" and the potatoes and mayo were the main.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
French fries and mayo combined with kids.

That's the main. Everything else is like, "yeah, I might have some of that. After the french fries."

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've tried to make homemade mayo a few times, and it never turns out. I used a blender, which I had seen used before on some TV show, but mine didn't look like mayo.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
One of the best dinners I've made in a long time. The sweet chili sauce on top of the fish is probably one of the best sauces I've ever tasted in my life. Also my first time doing saffron rice and I'm fucking hooked.

rrr_img_62404.jpg

Peanut-encrusted Tilapia with sweet chili sauce.
Red Mullet with Sweet Chilli Sauce - Gordon Ramsay - YouTube

Saffron Rice:
Saffron Rice Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Sesame Green Beans:
Wok-Seared Sesame Green Beans - Bon Appétit

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fook you, ya prick. But yeah, you got it right.

Continuing on with the Feast of Meat, and since it's a beautiful evening, I'm gonna grill some burgers and have some in-laws over. I scratch made potato salad, baked beans, and bread pudding with lemon sauce.
I've become infatuated with potato salad but haven't tried making it at home yet. Do you have a recipe?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
One of the best dinners I've made in a long time. The sweet chili sauce on top of the fish is probably one of the best sauces I've ever tasted in my life. Also my first time doing saffron rice and I'm fucking hooked.
Was the sweet chili sauce branded Mae Ploy? I was lucky enough to hear about that sauce on a trip to Reno about 12 years ago. Sweet, garlic heaven with a kick.

And no, I don't have a potato salad recipe, and I didn't follow one. This was actually the first time I had made potato salad, which seems odd since I cook daily. It was decent, and certainly not the worst I've had and every seemed to like it, but I'd give it a 6/10.

There are two camps of potato salad in this area.. warm German type, and sweet chilled type. I like 'em both, but I grew up with the sweet, mayo/Miracle Whip based type, so that's what I made.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
About the homemade mayo, one thing that always freaked me out is the raw egg yolk thing. I even made some aioli using egg whites before but I was always grossed out by just knowing there was a raw egg in there. Could not get myself to eat it.

On the potato salad thing, my family secret is frying up chopped onion in some butter and then when its finished and translucent, adding 1/4 cup white vinegar and then cooking most of it away. It leaves the onions tart and sweet. then just add them to the potato salad. I know it sounds gross, but try it. it gives the salad that kick that it needs.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I very much prefer the vinegar potato salad to the sweet mayo kind, really. Both have their places, though.

Hot, summer day - spending the afternoon in the sun - better put a dish with lots of mayo on the table.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My late grandmother has made this vinegar based coleslaw for as long as I can remember. No idea where she got it, or if she made it herself, but I love it, especially over a BBQ pulled pork sandwich.

Help yourself bro's...

Straight from the decades old, faded note card in my grandmothers writing...

Slice or shred one head of cabbage, green bell pepper, onion or scallions, and a small jar of pimentos - drained. (for clarification I use 1 large green bell pepper, and however much onion you like. I've made it without either one, and it's been good still as well)

In a small saucepan: Mix 3/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp dry mustard (the powdered yellow mustard stuff), 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp celery seed and 1/2 tsp mustard seed.

Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and allow it to cool down to room temp. (I do the sauce first for this reason so it's cooling while I do other stuff) After cooled, add 1/2 cup salad oil (veg oil, olive oil, don't matter), stir, and then pour over cabbage mixture.

Cover tightly and refrigerate!

You can eat it right away, however it's much better after chilling, and letting the sauce break down the cabbage mixture a bit. I usually make this at night, and then let it chill over night, and it's so amazing the next day.
smile.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire
One of my irreplaceable items is my Grandma's recipe box. I'll try that coleslaw, fo' sho'.

Hot, summer day - spending the afternoon in the sun - better put a dish with lots of mayo on the table.
Nothing brings in the flies like a little rancid potato salad!

The Master

Bronze Squire
About the homemade mayo, one thing that always freaked me out is the raw egg yolk thing. I even made some aioli using egg whites before but I was always grossed out by just knowing there was a raw egg in there. Could not get myself to eat it.
Just buy pasteurized in the shell eggs if this bothers you.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Crone my mom makes a similar cole slaw but using red cabbage. That shit is good in the summer.
Ya, I like it much more than mayo based 'slaw. Has a nice tang to it that really helps out other foods, such as bbq pulled pork! haha