Gravy's Cooking Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This local BBQ place that is now long gone used to have the BEST vinegar-based coleslaw in the goddamned world. It had poppy seeds in it, and it was absolutely incredible, I've never had coleslaw before or since that was as good. We used to go there all the time just for the slaw, it was that good. The BBQ was average at best, but the slaw made it worth it.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There are two camps of potato salad in this area.. warm German type, and sweet chilled type. I like 'em both, but I grew up with the sweet, mayo/Miracle Whip based type, so that's what I made.
Actually there are even at least two types of German style potato salad, one would be with mayo and one made with buillon.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
My late grandmother has made this vinegar based coleslaw for as long as I can remember. No idea where she got it, or if she made it herself, but I love it, especially over a BBQ pulled pork sandwich.
coleslaw doesn't go on BBQ sammiches though

Gravy

Bronze Squire
No, no it doesn't. Goddamn North Carolinians.
A couple places in Memphis do it, too. I'd rather not have it on a sandwich, but I've had worse things. At least the places in Memphis don't look at you like you're gonna get shanked on the way out if you ask them to leave it off the sandwich.

They have so many other reasons to shank you.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You need to slaw on your sammy for texture broz.

A nice cold crunchy layer on dat pulled pork sandwich.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Made paella tonight. Spanish rice, prawns, chicken, chorizo, clams, and muscles. Cooked up real good with chicken stock and dry white wine.

Smoked paprika for the win.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I can't imagine kids eating paella? You've got them trained well. Also, I can't eat anything called a 'prawn' any more.

I'm making sirloin tips in homemade onion and mushroom gravy. I think I'm gonna make rice to go with it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My kids fought over the mussels and clams. They love rice.

It helps that they help me prepare food. Some of them are involved with cooking every night, so they see what ingredients are, and how things get made. They're pretty willing to try just about anything, and if they try it, and say they hate it, they know I'm not going to make them eat it. So long as they gave it a good try, I'm happy.

Generally, when they try the food in front of them, they like it enough to make dinner of it. They also know that they need to be able to fake down enough of anything so as to not insult the people serving them dinner if they're in a social situation. This wasn't one of those instances, however. We scraped the pan clean.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I did steamed fresh mussels last weekend in white wine. That shit is so easy and so good. Do you have the paella recipe, dirk?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I go roughly off this recipe from Gordon Ramsay (of course). Vary it with the ingredients you have.

Gordon Ramsays Perfect Paella Recipe from Ramsey
You have a Gordon Ramsey anime pillow, don't you?
biggrin.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I have a package of like 5 chicken breasts I need to cook up tonight. What do you guys suggest? I need something different.