Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the kitchenaid with the vertical handle is awesome if you can get that one on sale, i got the el basic like 10 years ago on one of those 180$ deals. (plus it has metal attachments instead of the white plastic i see on the newer ones)

i've finally been able to make good 5minute bread.

it took like 3 batches, i think the issue is the cooking time. they say 30mins at like 450, but that produces super hard bread, and the dough is kinda doughy and always has a raw dough line.

i adjusted it to 325 at 50mins, and the crust is actually nice to eat, and the it's fluffy.

it still doesn't compare to the 5$ fresh baked artisan bread i buy at the stores though.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
$5 ? What about the crazy fluffy with crispy outside amazing fresh French bread all the grocery stores sell here for $1 or so. Man, that stuff is damn good.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i can get fresh spanish rolls for a dollar and change, (i kinda don't wanna jog to the spanish neighborhood, it's right next to martin luther king blvd, and we know how safe that street is!) but so far, really good fresh bread (hours baked) will cost me 5bucks. theres also supermarket bread from the bakery... eh, that just seems like fresh production bread to me.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the larger one, and the larger bowl is worth the money in my opinion. This is something you're going to buy once, so spending a bit more for an appliance you're going to use for thirty years doesn't strike me as a bad idea. The motor is heavier, and likely to last longer on that model, too.

I found the 6 quart one in a store north of Chicago I happened across. The had factory refurbished ones with the same warranty as brand new, and it was about 250$. Apparently that store gets about 300 rebuilt units once a year around Christmas, and they generally sell out of the rebuilt units in about 3 days.
I would definitely buy the 6qt at 250 bucks refurb'd. I'll be keeping my eye out for deals once I'm back from vacation. My plan is to get one by end of summer. There's too many recipes I want to do that would be much easier with one.

Gonna' do skirt steak on the grill tomorrow. Any suggestions for some marinades? Last time I made it, I made the marinade based on Alton Brown's (Skirt Steak Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network). It was good, but I'd like to try something else.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I always marinade skirt steak in chipotle peppers, adobo spice, paprika, olive oil, pepper, and lime juice. It is always amazing.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Best Steak Marinade in existence?! Well now Ihaveto try that one.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Best Steak Marinade in existence?! Well now Ihaveto try that one.
Looks very similar to something I do for Thai Satay chicken skewers, subtracting the curry and ginger of course.

I'll probably give this a shot this weekend as well.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bought the wife this one:Amazon.com: KitchenAid KP26M1XOB Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Onyx Black: Kitchen DiningBack in 2011 for Christmas. We hardly ever use it, but while the 6qt is nice, it's not often that we make that much. I don't think we calibrated it that well though, because the whisks and other attachments don't get to the bottom of the bowl at all.

Moving up to Portland OR in a few months, and will be around all my hippy in laws, that hand make everything, so I'm hoping that we can get some use out of it then. haha

Edit: Now I want to try that marinade too... best ever? What could go wrong?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Bought the wife this one:Amazon.com: KitchenAid KP26M1XOB Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Onyx Black: Kitchen DiningBack in 2011 for Christmas. We hardly ever use it, but while the 6qt is nice, it's not often that we make that much. I don't think we calibrated it that well though, because the whisks and other attachments don't get to the bottom of the bowl at all.

Moving up to Portland OR in a few months, and will be around all my hippy in laws, that hand make everything, so I'm hoping that we can get some use out of it then. haha

Edit: Now I want to try that marinade too... best ever? What could go wrong?
You do know you're supposed to move that handle on the right side to move the bowl up, right?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Made homemade pizza on the BBQ grill last night. It was...interesting. It actually turned out really well, the only difficult part was getting the raw pizza dough onto the hot grill without it falling apart or getting horribly misshapen in the transition.

Basically slathered up one side of the raw dough(pre-made from Trader Joes) with olive oil, slapped it oil-side down on the grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes, it browned up nicely(good grill marks too) and didn't really get too misshapen. Took it off the grill(that was a pain, needed 2 spatulas) moved back to a cookie sheet now with cooked side up to put topping on, and oiled-up raw side down to be cooked. Moved entire pizza back to grill, closed lid for about another 5-7 minutes and pulled the whole thing off the grill. Tasted really damn good, like a good wood/coal-fired pizza oven.

Only big advice I would give is the smaller the pizza, the easier it is to deal with. The first one we just made one big 12-14" or so pizza, and it was a huge pain in the ass to move around. Next time we split the dough in half and just did 2 6-8" pizzas and that was WAY easier to deal with.

Anyways, nice alternative for making pizza in the summertime when you don't want to get the oven going on a hot day indoors.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I was going to say "You need a pizza peel" but then I remembered that I don't have one so I guess my comment is "I need a pizza peel".

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Do you have a pizza stone? I'd think about leaving it on the grill to get hot, then transfer the pie to the hot pizza stone. Won't get your propane grill marks that way, though.
smile.png

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I've made pizza on the grill a few times. Sticking to small pizzas is far easier. I just spread the dough on tin foil then toss them with topped onto the grill with the lid down. Once the bottom cooks a bit you can slip the foil out from under them.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Got a couple lbs of skirt steak in that "Best Ever" marinade since last night. Looking forward to firing up the grill in a bit! The marinade has lemon juice and they've been marinating for quite a while. The recipe says you can marinate up to 8 hours, but it will be close to 18 - 20 by the time I cook them. Hope that didn't fuck 'em up.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Got a couple lbs of skirt steak in that "Best Ever" marinade since last night. Looking forward to firing up the grill in a bit! The marinade has lemon juice and they've been marinating for quite a while. The recipe says you can marinate up to 8 hours, but it will be close to 18 - 20 by the time I cook them. Hope that didn't fuck 'em up.
I'm gonna bet that it's delicious.

I can't recall grilling skirt steak; do you have to marinate it? It's what they use for fajitas, correct? Is that how you are having it, or you just like the meat grilled?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
No, you don't have to marinate it. I have another strip I'm just going to salt/rest and then grill as well. Just going to grill it medium rare, then slice it thin and serve with some fresh baked bread and rice/veggies.