Gravy's Cooking Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You can't just set it and forget it with smoking and Sous Vide
I don't know about a smoker, because I don't have one... but I don't understand how you say a crockpot is set and forget and sous vide isn't. I mean, there was a device listed previously that turns a crockpot into a sous vide machine. Now, I'm not talking 12+ hours, but if you throw in a steak for 2 hours or 6 hours, it stay at the same temperature. There might be some change in it, but after you seal it and put it into the water bath, you don't need to pay attention to it until it's time to actually pull the thing out and sear it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Electric smokers are more or less set and forget as well, although you do need to take it out at the right time.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Gonna give a batch of Miso soup a go tonight, picked up some Kombu for the Dashi broth during lunch.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Is there an alternative to the bonito deal? I don't really feel like dealing with fish skin. And I'm trying to do this vegetarian style.

I'm thinking maybe shitakes or something.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
After watching The Mind of a Chef (David Chang) I couldn't stop thinking about all things ramen.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Is there an alternative to the bonito deal? I don't really feel like dealing with fish skin. And I'm trying to do this vegetarian style.

I'm thinking maybe shitakes or something.
It is more like dealing with pencil shavings. And no, not really, not for the same taste.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've been making this low carb pizza last few weeks and it's pretty damn good but the sugar-free pizza sauce I've been using just keeps it from being amazing. Any pros have a recipe or some tips on making it taste better?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'd like to see that low carb pizza dough recipe, please.

As far as the sauce goes, I regularly make my own with one can of tomato sauce and one small can of tomato paste. The paste is sweet naturally. The I add in the herbs, onion/garlic powder, S&P, and some red chili flakes, which are optional. Cook that on medium low for a half hour, you are good to go. This is thick sauce, so feel free to thin it with water, a little at a time.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'd like to see that low carb pizza dough recipe, please.

As far as the sauce goes, I regularly make my own with one can of tomato sauce and one small can of tomato paste. The paste is sweet naturally. The I add in the herbs, onion/garlic powder, S&P, and some red chili flakes, which are optional. Cook that on medium low for a half hour, you are good to go. This is thick sauce, so feel free to thin it with water, a little at a time.
I'll have to try that with the sauce, hopefully it really unlocks the flavor of the pizza since it seems to be the weak link. Here's the recipe.

1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 tbsps cream cheese
1 egg
3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat your oven to 425?F.

Put the mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl. Microwave it for 1 minute, stir it, then microwave for another 30 seconds, and stir it again (it'll be very hot).

Stir in the egg, almond flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper. It should have a dough-like consistency (if it is ?stringy?, then your cheese has hardened too much ? just put it back in the microwave for perhaps another 20 seconds). Spread the dough thinly and evenly onto parchment paper (*grease your parchment paper if it isn't non-stick!) on a baking sheet. Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling and place it in the oven.

After around 8 minutes, check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be. Continue cooking for a total of 12-14 minutes, or until slightly brown on top.

Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on the base and top with your desired amount of meats, veggies and cheese (I was too lazy to put together a bunch of toppings, so I just put some tuna and a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar). Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.

Edit - Using MFP to roughly calculate nutrition values (minus toppings), assuming you cut it into six slices, each slice is approx. 194 cal, 2g carbs, 16g fat, 12g protein. Or 1165 cal, 10g carbs, 94g fat, 74g protein for the entire base.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Low carb pizza dough?

You guys have changed, man. You guys have changed.

Malcolm_sl

shitlord
Anyone have a recipe for whole wheat pizza dough? I have one that uses half and half flour but I want one with all whole wheat that doesn't suck if possible.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that whole wheat pizza dough that doesn't suck is going to be a contradiction. Some stuff is just better with white flour. Some friends of mine that are sort of health nuts brought over a pie with a whole wheat crust one time. It was fucking horrible and offensive. Whole wheat crust doesn't make pie healthy, it just makes it shitty.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I think that whole wheat pizza dough that doesn't suck is going to be a contradiction. Some stuff is just better with white flour. Some friends of mine that are sort of health nuts brought over a pie with a whole wheat crust one time. It was fucking horrible and offensive. Whole wheat crust doesn't make pie healthy, it just makes it shitty.
This is my feeling, too. And while skeptical about Hekotat's crust, I'm gonna try it, I think. I'll be buying almond flour I suppose.

I feel the same about whole wheat pasta, too. Some things just have to be made with white flour.

Neph_sl

shitlord
IMO, whole wheat pasta isn't as offensive bc most of the flavor of pasta tends to come from the sauce. On a pizza or sandwich though, that whole wheat flavor is the first thing to hit your tongue

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
BJs sells these lavash:

Josephs-Lavash.jpg

They're not bad as a quick pizza crust. Let me stress, QUICK pizza crust. In no way does it beat a regular pizza crust. But that plus some turkey pepperoni and some preshredded low-fat mozzarella, you've got a very easy weekday pizza. Really high in protein too.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
BJs sells these lavash:

They're not bad as a quick pizza crust. Let me stress, QUICK pizza crust. In no way does it beat a regular pizza crust. But that plus some turkey pepperoni and some preshredded low-fat mozzarella, you've got a very easy weekday pizza. Really high in protein too.
Mr. Wing, I think we have a winner. This looks doable for sure, and they sell online. Their closest retail for me is an hour away AND a Wal-mart, and that ain't gonna happen.

Do you know the approx. dimensions of the bread? They measure a serving as half a piece.