Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Mr. Wing, I think we have a winner. This looks doable for sure, and they sell online. Their closest retail for me is an hour away AND a Wal-mart, and that ain't gonna happen.

Do you know the approx. dimensions of the bread? They measure a serving as half a piece.
9.5" x 12.5"

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Believe me I want nothing more than to eat real pizza, once I get to my target body fat % I'll start eating glorious real foods again. First thing I'm going to do is make my own homemade pizza and get a god damned Blizzard.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Late to the skirt steak convo, but I made some last week. I used 1/4 cup Fish sauce, 1/4 cup thai chili sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil and a few cloves of garlic and a tablespoon of fresh ginger. Marinate overnight. Grill 5-6 minutes each side on high heat.
rrr_img_68635.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I making meatloaf today.

I'm also making homemade pimento cheese, which I think will be my first time making it. Now that I think about it, itwouldhave made a great filling for the meatloaf. That's about how my day is going.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've fooled guests into thinking i'm good at thin crust pizza. now i was born and raised in brooklyn when pizza was 25c a slice, so i've grown up eating that much pizza, this isn't going to play well with a new yorker, but this thin crust pizza, ain't half bad, and the ingredients are lazy.

i get mission flour tortillas, prego sauce and fresh moz cheese. bake it in the oven (pizza/baking stone is a must) for 10mins, ppl think it's thin crust pizza.

i've tried to use whole wheat, but that's just too "bready", a stone is a must b/c it keeps the tortilla from being soggy.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I really like baking stones. It's damn near impossible to burn cookies on them. They'll overcook, sure, but it takes a monumental amount of neglect to burn one.

I've also made the tortilla pizzas before, and they are good enough if you need a pizza fix.

We went to the Global Market yesterday and bought some chickpea flour to make a pizza crust. I have no idea how that is going to turn out.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Can anyone tell me the differences between coconut milk, coconut oil, and coconut paste? I have recipes calling for all three, and I don't think I've ever seen coconut paste before. Is that really a common thing? I do periodically use coconut oil along side coconut milk in curry recipes, but wtf is coconut paste?

Coconut. (I wanted to work it in one more time in this post.)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Coconut milk: liquid from the meat of a mature (brown)coconut.
Coconut water: liquid inside a young (green)coconut.
Coconut extract: alcohol soluble flavors of coconut.
Coconut oil: oils pressed from the meat of the coconut.
Coconut paste: no idea.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'd like to add to the conundrum. Coconut water.
Well, fuck you, man. Fuck you.

But seriously, coconut water is different enough that I'm not so confused about it. Give me SOME credit.

Coconut milk: liquid from the meat of a mature (brown)coconut.
Coconut water: liquid inside a young (green)coconut.
Coconut extract: alcohol soluble flavors of coconut.
Coconut oil: oils pressed from the meat of the coconut.
Coconut paste: no idea.
Yes. You are now where I'm at. Welcome!

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Thanks Deathwing!

I see several strange 'pastes' when I shop Middle Eastern/Indian foods. I'll keep an eye out for coconut paste.
My favorite that I've tried is the ginger/garlic paste. Holy mama, that shit is pungent, but really adds in the flavor.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Coconut paste is just toasted coconut that you've ground down in a mortar and pestle till it becomes a paste. Primary effect is changing the flavor from the browning and changing the moisture content, plus it integrates into batters instead of just being flakes of coconut. If you want that coconut texture, don't use paste, just use toasted coconut. If you run whatever it is through a blender, you can just add flakes of coconut, run it through a blender, and it'll turn into coconut paste as just a part of the recipe.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I really like baking stones. It's damn near impossible to burn cookies on them. They'll overcook, sure, but it takes a monumental amount of neglect to burn one.

I've also made the tortilla pizzas before, and they are good enough if you need a pizza fix.

We went to the Global Market yesterday and bought some chickpea flour to make a pizza crust. I have no idea how that is going to turn out.
I really like silicon sheets for baking cookies, we just have some silicon rolls that you put on top of a normal cookie sheet. They look like a giant placemat made of plastic. The cookies always bake perfectly, the bottom never, ever gets any browner than the top. The cookies always stay chewy.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Coconut paste is just toasted coconut that you've ground down in a mortar and pestle till it becomes a paste. Primary effect is changing the flavor from the browning and changing the moisture content, plus it integrates into batters instead of just being flakes of coconut. If you want that coconut texture, don't use paste, just use toasted coconut. If you run whatever it is through a blender, you can just add flakes of coconut, run it through a blender, and it'll turn into coconut paste as just a part of the recipe.
Well, you are called The Master for a reason, I guess! Thanks for that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't forget that there's also coconut cream! It's kind of like the condensed milk version of coconut milk. Only thing I've used it for is pina colada's though.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I love the taste but the texture is like eating paper. I don't understand how people eat that shit is they aren't stranded on a desert island.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I don't like the texture, and the flavour has to be paired with other things, but it's healthy and the kids like it.

I made a coleslaw yesterday that even the kids liked. It was shredded cabbage and carrots with tart apples and craisins. The dressing was a wasabi and mayo and garlic and lime juice, and such. Making cabbage tasty is a small victory.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Making homemade beef enchiladas with red sauce tonight. I'm actually going the lazy way tonight and just layering them instead of rolling them, tastes the same.

I really like coleslaw/cabbage, Dirk. Cooked, too, actually but not as much. I like that you put the craisins and wasabi together, I bet that was good.