Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No fat or connective tissue will defeat the purpose of crock pot meat.

What do people usually do with leftover steak? I want to eat it as is because it's at the perfect doneness, but I don't want to eat it cold. Heating it up will ruin the doneness.
Heating it up won't overcook it unless you take it past the medium rare temp. Put it in a low temp oven and watch the internal temp and it should be nearly as good as the first time. Steak salad is also good.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I usually just eat it right out of the refrigerator the next day. I like some cold leftover steak.

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
I saut?ed peppers, onions, and mushrooms and then threw it in that to heat up for 2 minutes at the end and put it on a roll with some scrambled eggs yesterday for my leftover London broil.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Tomatoes from the garden. Cucumbers from the garden. Add some feta cheese, some very nice balsamic and olive oil, salt and pepper, and basil from the garden.

Fresh ingredients. Damn, what a difference they make.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Went to a cookout this weekend and was horrified. My father cooked everything and after learning how to really cook myself, some of his practices were awful:

He boiled chicken prior to grilling it. I... I don't know what the reason is. I think he's afraid of undercooking it. I just.. I don't know. It was rubbery and dry as shit.

Steak tips he burned to a crisp on one side because my family eats everything well done. They tasted alright since he marinated them, but again dry as fuck.

Hot dogs. Hard to fuck up, but one side was char. I enjoyed some of them.

Burgers. Oh my lord. He kept flipping them, over and over. I sat there going "OH MY GOD WHAT IS HE DOING". They were pretty tough and grey.

Everything was on extremely high heat. My brother cooks like this too. It's insane.

In the end couldn't complain because it was free food. I'm cooking for my BBQ in a couple weeks and I am certain people will be blown away. Already had a ton of compliments at our memorial day cookout.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
People like that will not compliment your food. They will either just have salad or ask you to ruin some meat for them.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
People like that will not compliment your food. They will either just have salad or ask you to ruin some meat for them.
This is true, sadly. I love my wife and in-laws, but everything is "medium well to well done" for food. They always joke about my taste for rare/medium-rare, though they humor me by at least trying to "undercook" a steak. I'll have the last laugh though, as I'm teaching my kids that over-cooked bacon isn't right and that steak has to have some pink in it.

On another note, said in-laws told me about my Xmas gift... 1/3rd of a cow and 1/3 of pig. We (in-laws, wife & I, and brother-in-law) are splitting a whole cow and a whole pig. So I'm going to need some new recipes for it. I'm hoping I can actually start doing some jerky from some of it, but I have no idea how we're going to clear out our freezers for all of this meat.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just made a salad with rhubarb, tossed with honey and left on a cookie sheet under the broiler for about 4 minutes, Anise, and cabbage. Toasted pine nuts. Balsamic/olive oil dressing. lightly salted, plenty of pepper.

I like it. We'll see what the troops say.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
How do you overcook bacon without burning it?
463.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Went to a cookout this weekend and was horrified. My father cooked everything and after learning how to really cook myself, some of his practices were awful:

He boiled chicken prior to grilling it. I... I don't know what the reason is. I think he's afraid of undercooking it. I just.. I don't know. It was rubbery and dry as shit.

Steak tips he burned to a crisp on one side because my family eats everything well done. They tasted alright since he marinated them, but again dry as fuck.

Burgers. Oh my lord. He kept flipping them, over and over. I sat there going "OH MY GOD WHAT IS HE DOING". They were pretty tough and grey.

Everything was on extremely high heat. My brother cooks like this too. It's insane.

In the end couldn't complain because it was free food. I'm cooking for my BBQ in a couple weeks and I am certain people will be blown away. Already had a ton of compliments at our memorial day cookout.
This is so fucking sad. I have a really hard time with well done eaters. I kind of hate them. It's so disappointing to go out to eat with someone you like and find out that they are a well done eater.

And boiling the chicken breasts before you grill them???? WHAT THE FUCK? I want to kill your dad now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

All of that is pretty terrible...except flipping the burgers constantly. That's actually a good practice(but you still want to stop before they are well done and dry)

The Burger Lab: How Often Should You Flip a Burger? | A Hamburger Today

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually apologize to people over at my house when I cook burgers anything more than medium. I think my extended family ate my pink burgers because they didn't want me to feel bad. Once they realized they wouldn't get sick when their burger had a little red in it, now I am the only one asked to grill because I don't make hockey pucks or totally dried out, overcooked chicken.

I overcooked some thicker burgers the other day because I wasn't trusting the feel and the time/temp I knew they were on, but because they didn't look cooked enough. Big mistake; burgers sucked.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i did a grill test with a friend, i bought the steaks, brought my sous vide over. i vacuum packed the steaks (i have an easy pump vac) with a bit of salt/pepper (i don't use butter or marinade), threw it in the sous vide and we chilled for a few hours. it was time for dinner, he started cooking/grilling and he was done. normally i'd take out my torch to finish the sous vide steaks, but there was already a piping hot grill, so i gave him the steaks, he said it looked disgusting, i said, i know, just sear each side for 1 min.

he was amazed at how juicy it was, i told him to cut both steaks down the middle and we basically had this picture

rrr_img_70849.jpg

he's probably gonna get a sansaire now, i think sur la table is selling them in store.

don't get me wrong, he's a serious griller, grilled asparagus, lamb chops, blah blah, he just always thought his steaks were awesome.

I think sous vide frightens may hardcore grillers. The fact that an amazing piece of steak is cooked in a water bath kinda freaks them out.

But they'll learn. Oh yes, they'll learn.