Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We have new neighbours, the dude is a head of chefs in the local culinary school. Hopefully he shares tips pro bono.

smile.png

Make grapefruit and mint ice cream with coconut milk and paste. That shit's crazy tasty.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The worst part of that picture is the raw red onion, that's all you'll taste.

But...risotto is rice.
i'm asian so you know, rice is in my blood, second to plain white rice (i like short grain rice, in marketing terms sushi rice) i don't mind risotto. what i mean by i don't mind is it takes your full attention to make, and i probably went through 3 lbs of it b4 i was good at it. for that i'd recommend this

Amazon.com : Roland Superfino Arborio Rice, 11-Pounds Bag : Arborio Rice Produce : Grocery Gourmet Food

25bucks for 11lbs of risotto rice (arborio), it's basically 2 bucks and change for 1lb of risotto rice, which is a deal if you just buy the 1lb plastic box version in the supermarkets for 6to7 bucks.

i usually don't have seafood around so it's mostly just basic mushroom risotto.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The worst part of that picture is the raw red onion, that's all you'll taste.

But...risotto is rice.
I guess I always think of risotto as something different than rice, since its generally so mushy and creamy. Typical steamed rice(white, brown, wild, whatever) is almost always a completely different texture than risotto.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
PSA: Don't boil water with glass baking dish. I'm down two baking dishes, I have cuts all over my hands and body and my garbage can and vacuum are full of glass.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I had "not eve pyrex?" typed out before reading the article. Hah! I wonder how much cheaper one is vs the other.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Too bad you aren't an engineer, you could have saved yourself a lot of pain.
What's funny is I learned about how Pyrex changed technologies. ConsumerReports shattered 10 out of 10 of their dishes at 450 degrees, but found some decades old dish and couldn't shatter it at any temperature they used with the same test.

Maybe if I was an engineer I could've built a model of how able my dishes would be able to withstand the heat transfer process based on my knowledge of the material's thermal expansion, youngs modulus etc. Then I could've ran some simulations and got a confidence interval of having to spend the rest of the night picking glass out of my drywall and skin.

Or I could just not be a dumbass and remember what my cousin demonstrated to me when I was a kid and we were camping and he threw his beer bottle into a fire then showed me he could make it explode by peeing on it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are there idiots that actually put stuff directly from oven to freezer without allowing it cool to room temperature first? They deserve the broken cookware and the huge amounts of wasted energy.

But that link says temperature changes of 99 degrees...did you boil your water with a bunsen burner?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, essentially, yes, a bunsen burner(I'm assuming you have gas?).

I'm curious of the context. Were all the pots dirty? What were you making where it was more convenient to boil water in glass cookware?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I was a security guard in college I came upon a coffee pot that someone had left on and the coffee was just some bubbling slime in the bottom of the carafe. I pulled it out and ran water on it and got a similar reaction but luckily it was mostly contained by the sink. Like any other conscientious 19 year old minimum wage employee I just switched off the coffee maker, backed out of the break room, and left the mess in the sink for someone else to deal with.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So, essentially, yes, a bunsen burner(I'm assuming you have gas?).

I'm curious of the context. Were all the pots dirty? What were you making where it was more convenient to boil water in glass cookware?
No, not gas.
electric_range_accessory_parts.jpg.jpg

Glassware was more convenient because I was making flann. Our flann recipe involves putting the mixture in glass cups, then putting the glass cups in ~170degree water and baking everything.

199.jpg

The biggest dish we have is the glass baking dish, so it's most convenient to use that.

What I'd really like to do is use
muffin+tin.jpg

but I don't have anything it can fit into.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Supermarkets usually get their meat in as primals that they butcher themselves. So if you don't see a particularly style of cut out, feel free to ask and they can do it for you. I buy a lot of unusual cuts. Sometimes they'll tell you they can't do it today (either they cut up everything that would work already or they are to busy), but to come back. So go when it is quiet and maybe even call ahead.
Yep they'll generally do whatever you ask. I used to get ground beef from sirloin tips or other various parts of the steak. They charge you accordingly.

Source: Worked at a grocery store for 13 years.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, your thought process was to boil the water, then transport really hot sloshing liquid into the oven with the uncooked flans? Instead of just putting the cookware and water in the oven while it preheated and just come back in ~45 minutes to add the custards?

Half sheet pan might hold enough water for your custards, depending on how thick they are. But have fun removing a cooked custard from a muffin tin. There's a reason most cooked custards are baked in ramekins.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We have a sheet pan but it's not deep enough for our muffin tin.

Yes, baking the water probably makes more sense. Thanks.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm, sounded a bit condescending there, sorry. Anyway, if you do give that another try, remember to leave the vessel in the oven while it cools. Springform pan wrapped in foil might work too. I know a lot of people use that for cheesecake to prevent water from getting in.