Gravy's Cooking Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
wife found a piece of glass in her flan. This is the slowest I've ever eaten anything.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Hmm, I do have a couple dishes to replace, I'll have to see if I can't find some stuff at thrift stores... But how do you tell it's borosilicate?

edit:
hmm
Amazon.com: Arc International Arcuisine Borosilicate Rectangular Roaster - 13.75 Diningc
Amazon.com: Marinex 2-1/3-Quart Rectangular Baking Dish, Gift-Boxed: Pyrex Rectangular Dish: Kitchen Dining
The fake stuff either says "Not intended for stovetop or broiler" or says "Microwave and oven only." It is embossed on the bottom. The real stuff says "Pyrex" and basically nothing else. Or you can order it from an importer (that is what those Amazon things are and why shipping isn't free). I think it is even possible to order it from the EU Amazon site and ship it to the US, I know a guy who did that, apparently the shipping was an issue but he contacted Amazon directly and worked it out.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The flann I make is the best flann I've ever had.
Tuco, this is what you need to make.

I've looked up homemade versions (guess it's really a custard?) but I've never been able to force myself to go all the way and make one of the "from scratch" versions (instead of paying a fuckload for the imported version in a bucket).

h2505B243

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My official argument against sous-vide steak
YGhX6nB.jpg

KC Strip, grill cranked as high as it will go(temp in lid reads about 700 degrees) 1.5 minutes on each side

Damn tasty medium rare steak in 3 minutes. Yeah, maybe there is 10% less pink meat than sous-vide, but it's also 98% less cook time. I'm done eating with the dishes done and the grill put back away before the sous-vide is even halfway ready.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Season that steak, you heathen.

Yeah... after Tuco's story, I'm throwing my fake Pyrex shit out.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Tuso should just make himself a bomb robot for the kitchen and cook remotely from the living room.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
KC Strip, grill cranked as high as it will go(temp in lid reads about 700 degrees) 1.5 minutes on each side

Damn tasty medium rare steak in 3 minutes. Yeah, maybe there is 10% less pink meat than sous-vide, but it's also 98% less cook time. I'm done eating with the dishes done and the grill put back away before the sous-vide is even halfway ready.
Yeah, it might take sous-vide "longer" but my active cook time is less than yours on a sous-vide steak. 60 seconds to vacuum seal and put it in the crock pot. Then another 60 seconds to sear it.

That does look pretty tasty though. Now do the same thing with a 3" thick ribeye.

Also here is my sous-vide setup.

STC-1000 Temp Controller($17.10)
Electrical Outlet($1.14)
Power Supply out of old computer (Free)
Crock Pot (Free or very cheap at Goodwill)
rrr_img_71743.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Season that steak, you heathen.
I just go with copious amounts of salt and garlic powder, and slap a pat of butter on it right when it comes off the grill to melt through it while it sits under foil for 5-10 minutes

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The "fake" Pyrex is fine if you don't use it like that. Don't think of it as "fake", but just handicapped.
I think I have actually poured boiling water into mine before, numerous times. It didn't explode leaving me a torn, shell of a man. But it could have!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, it might take sous-vide "longer" but my active cook time is less than yours on a sous-vide steak. 60 seconds to vacuum seal and put it in the crock pot. Then another 60 seconds to sear it.

That does look pretty tasty though. Now do the same thing with a 3" thick ribeye.

Also here is my sous-vide setup.

STC-1000 Temp Controller($17.10)
Electrical Outlet($1.14)
Power Supply out of old computer (Free)
Crock Pot (Free or very cheap at Goodwill)
rrr_img_71743.jpg
Doesn't the lack of circulation impact the effectiveness of the sous vide method? Or does it not really matter? I just wonder why they would bother calling it "immersion circulation" if the circulation wasn't mandatory.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think I have actually poured boiling water into mine before, numerous times. It didn't explode leaving me a torn, shell of a man. But it could have!
While still possible, hot water spreads the heat out much more than a burner would. I'm betting temperature differential over the cookware, even if the burner itself heated evenly, is what shattered it. The temperature might have been secondary.

Doesn't the lack of circulation impact the effectiveness of the sous vide method? Or does it not really matter? I just wonder why they would bother calling it "immersion circulation" if the circulation wasn't mandatory.
Sous vide just means "under vacuum", circulation is not required.

This might be a dumb question but can you make ribs that are good using an oven?
Depends, how low can your oven go? If not that low, you can still cheat and just crack it open the whole time, but have fun wasting energy.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The "fake" Pyrex is fine if you don't use it like that. Don't think of it as "fake", but just handicapped.
Most people who grew up with the real stuff prefer to think of it as fake. There was a case with an old woman who was using her new Pyrex pan under the broiler, took it out... and it shattered as she was holding it. It shredded her feet, cut her into her ankles, severed tendons.... she was permanently crippled. Now, granted, the product said no broiler use, but the product also said "Pyrex" and she'd been broiling safely in Pyrex for over 40 years before the company changed their product. And this wasn't an isolated incident. I don't know if is still around, but there was a website that collected just fake Pyrex horror stories and it had tens of thousands of them.

Oh, also they have a lab supplies division. That is still real Pyrex, even in the US. So if you really want a beaker in your kitchen or something, you can get that as Pyrex.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The thermal mass is small enough in a crock pot where temperature striation is at a minimum and not impactful to the process. On a larger scale circulation is necessary.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
just read all the scary reviews on "fake" pyrex and you'll wanna get the real stuff too

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pyrex Bakeware 4.8 Quart Oblong Baking Dish, Clear

this is my view on sous vide. I've eaten more steak and cooked way more fish for my wife than ever. my steaks are always perfect and wife says fish is spot on.

it's basically push button, almost microwave like, except instead of nasty tasting tv dinners, it's actually restaurant quality temp.

i haven't tried to sous vide veggies yet, i have no idea why anyone would want to. the same goes for sous vide eggs, why?

but beef/pork/fish sous vide? sure. i even did ribs.

i mean if you're a grill master and you can tell the doneness of the steak with the thumb/finger test sure skip sous vide.

but sous vide could turn "cheap cuts" into awesomeness cuz they're just being cooked and broken down for so long, but only at your desired temp.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
It's actually not technically sous vide, or maybe it is I dunno, but a camping hack that I use a lot is I bring all the omelette makings pre-prepped (or scramble, or whatever you want to call it), have everyone in camp get a ziplock and put eggs and whatever fixings they want into their ziplock bag, write their names on it then throw it into a pot of boiling water, and out comes a delicious omelette/scrambled/whatever about 5 minutes later. Just need to make sure those bags are sealed tight. Always a huge hit camping and super easy.