Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That doesn't make sense. (Will Ferrell meme here.) You're close enough to Wisconsin...Heck I can even find a ready supply of curd in Indiana! You must try harder.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i recently bought an old hickory paring knife, i wanted to see how i'd like 1095 steel (high carbon, good edge retention, horrible rust)

Amazon.com : Ontario Knife Co. 5-Piece Old Hickory Knife Set 705 : Hunting Knives : Sports Outdoors

when i got it, it was pretty dull, i mean if i forced it at the right angle i could cut paper, but i mean come on. i spent half an hour re-profiling it, with just a x-coarse diamond stone it was sharper, but i did change the angle, i went all the way to the 10k stone, and now it cuts newspaper easily, it actually feels nice.

i needed a new paring knife since i'm dehydrating lots of peaches now, i hope it won't leave a "metallic" taste.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife bought some hickory smoked sea salt with no idea what to use it for. What should we use it for? It smells fantastic that's for sure.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Chili
Ham and beans

Is it chunky or fine grain? If it's medium to fine, I'd use it for rub, too.

The Master

Bronze Squire
My wife bought some hickory smoked sea salt with no idea what to use it for. What should we use it for? It smells fantastic that's for sure.
You should generally use salts like this, finishing salts, for seasoning of finished dishes. Don't use it during the cooking process, kind of a waste. But any smoked salt goes great on meat.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Have you been to her restaurant here in KC? Its goddamned good. Had my wedding reception there, and it was awesome. They have an all-you-can-eat pasta of the day that changes daily. It's actually 3 different pastas. One is usually something seasonal(like pumpkin ravioli in the fall, which is incredible) Its like $22, and all you can eat of all 3 of the daily pastas. I practically need someone to carry me out of there each time we go.

Lidias Kansas City

The only downside to it, is that it is in the same building as Jack Stack BBQ, which is one of the top BBQ places in KC. Everytime I go there I sit in the parking lot, debating which one to eat at because they are both incredible. #firstworldproblems
I've been there once for that deal, and I was kind of underwhelmed. Some of the sauce was really watery and I don't think any of it had any meat to it (literally and figuratively). I may have to try it again though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've been there once for that deal, and I was kind of underwhelmed. Some of the sauce was really watery and I don't think any of it had any meat to it (literally and figuratively). I may have to try it again though.
We usually tend to go a couple times in the Fall because I friggin love the pumpkin ravioli, maybe the different seasonal pastas vary quite a bit? I could see their Fall/Winter offerings being thicker and heartier, maybe Spring/Summer offerings are really thin and light? Not sure, I'm trying to remember what time of year it was the last few times I was there, but I don't think I've been there since last Winter at this point.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So I have a $50.00 off code for any of Anova's sous vide cookers. It has to be used in August. If anyone(who is actually active in this thread) wants it, let me know.

Anova Culinary | Products