Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
You sear the frozen steak then finish it in a 275 oven. Takes longer than an unfrozen steak, but maintains 9% more liquid. And the browning line is similar to that of a sous vide steak.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The general theory being that you can sear the shit out of the exterior of the steak without the inner part of the steak getting much of the grey/well done area because it starts off so cold inside. You end up with a well seared exterior and an almost completely pink interior, with little to no ring of grey.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
They claim the frozen method tasted better than thawing to room temp. I'm skeptical as well, but I may try it once.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Or you could be civilised, let your steaks come up to room temperature, and then cook them properly.
I prefer doing it this way, but sometimes if I forget to set the steaks out, or it's impromptu, I thaw them in hot water. I know I get demerits for this.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Isn't freezing steak, in general, bad for the meat? I've heard that normal freezers create large ice crystals which rupture the cell wall because they don't freeze food fast enough. Ruptured cell walls = bad texture. I mean, this is a good tip if you're a hunter or you shop exclusively at Costco / Sam's Club for your meat.

But I tend to buy only what we can cook in a week, and I assume other people shop differently.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I buy half a cow at a time, and as much as I love me some beef, I don't think I'll get through it in a week. And, if done right, beef comes out of the freezing process pretty well. Don't be surprised if the fresh beef you buy at the grocery hasn't been frozen at one time or another.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I used to have a summer job unloading trucks at Associated Wholesale Grocers in KC, they are a wholesaler to independent grocers in the MidWest. The beef came in as primal cuts in refrigerated semi's and were at least partially frozen.

We also knocked open a box of pig heads one day (4 to a box) and used one as a soccer ball, and I had one mounted on the top of my forklift. Pretty sweet day.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Isn't freezing steak, in general, bad for the meat? I've heard that normal freezers create large ice crystals which rupture the cell wall because they don't freeze food fast enough. Ruptured cell walls = bad texture. I mean, this is a good tip if you're a hunter or you shop exclusively at Costco / Sam's Club for your meat.

But I tend to buy only what we can cook in a week, and I assume other people shop differently.
If there is a difference, it's not enough for me to care versus how annoying it would be to have to buy fresh meat every time I wanted steak.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't be surprised if grocery store meat was frozen at one point, but I assume they have freezers that can freeze things faster than mine. My only point being, I try not to freeze my meat, but if you do, then that video seems like it'd be pretty useful.

Also, they mention in the video to freeze the steaks flat and uncovered on parchment, wrap them in plastic wrap, and put them in a ziplock bag. I'd imagine that would constitute 'freezing meat right'.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I prefer doing it this way, but sometimes if I forget to set the steaks out, or it's impromptu, I thaw them in hot water. I know I get demerits for this.
You mean thaw them under cold running water, right? Right? Because it is faster?

It looks exactly like a sous vide steak. One more method of getting to the same ideal place.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
5 kinds of kebabs for dinner tonight. Also having cucumber, tomato, mozzarella cheese salad (cuc and tom picked today), lettuce salad (picked today, along with most of the other ingredients in it), fruit salad, home made bread dipped in garlic and basil infused oil. Finish with watermelon and lime coconut ice cream on top of just baked chocolate chip cookies.

NRGP5AW.jpg

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wow, to have that time, and energy, and resources to be able to eat like that even just once a week. Nice job dirk, looks and sounds amazing! I'm envious.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Just finished making a three layer semifreddo. Pistachio, raspberries, vanilla. Never made one before. Dessert for tonight, can't wait to see how is turned out.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Those look good, I've never used olives on a kabob.
The stuffed olives were all I had, or I'd have used better ones. They do really well when put on the grill for a while. I recommend it.

Wow, to have that time, and energy, and resources to be able to eat like that even just once a week. Nice job dirk, looks and sounds amazing! I'm envious.
I get my kids involved, so it doesn't take all that much time. I get all the ingredients ready, and then all the kids put them on the sticks. Easy and fun for everyone. I ate so many of them tonight...

And, Master, your dessert sounds outstanding. I love pistachio and raspberries together. That sounds divine.