Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Came across this today and was impressed. You only need to watch about 30 seconds worth to get the gist.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
could have used that to make angel food cake. might use it tonite actually haven't had angel food cake in a month, but omg all that yolk.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I predict it is the method the Japanese discovered of using a plastic bottle.

EDIT: Watched the video, called it. Yeah, it is a really cool way of doing it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Not likely any faster than just using your fingers, though. And doing it by hand allows you to squeeze off the white, stringy bits so they don't make it into your dish.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you know i was just futzing with the idea of culinary school and i saw this youtube
cordon bleu chef

omg she is horrible, i loose all respect for cordon bleu if this "chef" can graduate with those pathetic knife skills. bullshit starts at 4m, she doesn't use a stone, how the fuck does a chef not use a stone? she "thinks" her knives get sharp with the honing rod. then 10m in she's almost slicing off her finger tips with a noobie grip, and she's sawing the fucking onion, how dull is that piece of shit shun? the board is shaking and you can see she has a death grip on her knife just trying to hack into the onion. then she continues to saw her fucking onion. she's lucky she's only "slicing" it, since if she actually tried to dice an onion this way it'd just fall apart.

i just can't watch anymore, again, she's not a celeb chef, she graduated from le cordon bleu.

also, she's using a santoku, the only "chef" i've ever seen use one is miss big boobs, pretty sure any cordon bleu chef would stick with using a french chefs knive or the japanese equivalent a gyuto.

you know a few posts back, some were amazed at how much morimoto sharpened his knives in 3 years, that's cuz he sharpened them twice a day for lunch and dinner service, i don't think this bitch even knows how to sharpen.

what gets me mad is that she's teaching! on her website she has classes for 3weeks 235bucks!

The Master

Bronze Squire
Well comparing a honing steel and a sharpening stone shows an ignorance of what they are for. They do different things. Honing steels take a sharp edge that isn't pointing down and re-align to point down, so the sharp edge is actually cutting. Sharpening stones physically take material off to create a new edge. An average home cook needs a real sharpening job (with a stone, preferably by a professional) once a year.

Morimoto probably gets his knives sharpened every two weeks (like most professional chefs) or so and it was five years, so that is 26x5 sharpenings to get to the picture we saw. Pretty reasonable. He hones them 3-4x a day. Really not the same thing. EDIT: Morimoto's knive's are single bevel, you don't actually hone single bevel knives. Nevermind! Also see follow-up post.

As for a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu not knowing what she is talking about, well, very few chefs genuinely know what they are talking about. Even Gordon Ramsay says some things that are just flatly incorrect according to basic food science. And chefs specialize, her knife skills are lacking, but that probably wasn't her focus. Out of all the winners of Top Chef only one had really good knife skills. She probably still makes delicious food.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
no she still thinks a honing steel is the same as sharpening, she doesn't know what sharp is, she's using a butterknife.

no, in that post about morimotos knives he says he sharpens 2x a day, lunch and dinner service, it was an eps with ming.

well if you do graduate LCB, you come out a cook, not a chef

how do you not have knife skills and get on top chef? you're basically a home cook then, should goto masterchef.

The Master

Bronze Squire
...Yes, I know, I said comparing the two it demonstrated an ignorance on her part.

OK, I looked into it, apparently Morimoto does actually sharpen his knives twice a day (and sands the handle twice a day too, to maintain a rough grip so it doesn't get too smooth). But this is only because of the quality of the fish he is working with. Which makes sense, there is a small but noticeable difference between a freshly sharpened knife and one that has been used even 2-3x since being sharpened. If I was cutting up tens of thousand of dollars worth of fish every day with a single-bevel knife, I'd want that freshly sharpened feel too. Cheap when you think about it.

Because there is more to cooking then knife skills. You like knives, so you're very focused on that, but the reality is most chefs have middlin' knife skills. Even on Top Chef Masters none of them had the kind of exceptional quick knife skills that the 17 second chicken guy does. It is one skill, amongst dozens, that a chef needs and it is actually one of the skills that doesn't have to be all that great to create world class food.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
You don't hone single bevel Japanese knives (or any knife with a HT above 60), he really does sharpen before every service.

Edit: and apparently you agree with me from your last post, disregard
tongue.png

The Master

Bronze Squire
You don't hone single bevel Japanese knives (or any knife with a HT above 60), he really does sharpen before every service.

Edit: and apparently you agree with me from your last post, disregard
tongue.png
I do! I didn't think about the fact that Morimoto is primarily a sushi chef at his home restaurant, so of course he is using single bevel knives which don't get honed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea if you look at the the pics again, look at the primary bevel, the center line has been moved all the way up by the end of the knifes cycle.

this is the episode with ming tsai and morimoto, i guess they took down the episode.
Episode 1104 - Morimoto Ming Tsai

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm making these recommended slider rolls tonight for a trivia contest:

1 pound Deli ham shaved
1 pound Swiss cheese thinly sliced
1 1/2 sticks Butter
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Minced onion dried
1 12-pack KING'S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Rolls

I just copied this from the King's Hawaiian site because I'm horrible at the search function to find Joeboo's. They have another version of the basic same idea as well:

24 Slices of deli honey ham
6 Slices of swiss cheese, cut into fourths
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Poppy seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup Butter melted
1 tablespoon Onion Powder
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 packages (12 count) KING'S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Rolls

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Iron Chef Morimoto's knives. Top is a new knife. Bottom is after 3 years of use, sharpening, and cleaning at his restaurant

EiQnGu3.png
Pretty shitty handles. And id think the majority of the blade shrinkage is caused by resharpening, not actual use.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Thanks Crone. Looks like a combo of both which is what I was planning, plus I'm gonna put hamandturkey on 'em. Fancy as shit.

And DW, by all means, finish up. This should put you over the edge, happy to help.
smile.png

Attachment 74377