Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Turkey breast is rubbed and on the smoke. I also got volunteered to cook pork steaks for the weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks. Gonna go ahead and smoke them while the fire is hot.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Smoked Pork steaks? Interesting, let us know how it turns out. I'm pretty limited to just quick-grilled pork chops in the pig department. I do them right but I'm not man enough to work with loins or steak cuts or anything.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Pork steaks are a funky regional thing here in St. Louis. I don't recall seeing them in other states or even in KC. It's a pork butt that normal people would smoke for pulled pork, but instead they cut it into 3/4" slices with a band saw for the grill. All of the 'BBQ' restaurants around here serve them, but they are really just a grilled hunk of pork with BBQ sauce on them.

Some places actually do smoke them, though, and that's what I'm doing today. When they're done, I'll seal them up for the trip, then grill them at the lake.

Edit: Was trying to get a picture to stick, no luck.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Pork steaks are a funky regional thing here in St. Louis. I don't recall seeing them in other states or even in KC. It's a pork butt that normal people would smoke for pulled pork, but instead they cut it into 3/4" slices with a band saw for the grill. All of the 'BBQ' restaurants around here serve them, but they are really just a grilled hunk of pork with BBQ sauce on them.

Some places actually do smoke them, though, and that's what I'm doing today. When they're done, I'll seal them up for the trip, then grill them at the lake.
I frequent a Mizzou sports messageboard, and obviously it's about half KC people and half StLouis people. Us KC folks constantly rib the STL folks about their weirdass pork steak and provel cheese fetishes
smile.png

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I frequent a Mizzou sports messageboard, and obviously it's about half KC people and half StLouis people. Us KC folks constantly rib the STL folks about their weirdass pork steak and provel cheese fetishes
smile.png
I know, right? The thing is, neither are 'bad', but just fucking weird. The shit they call 'pizza'... heh.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
tried cold pasta cooking, worked great, kept on checking al dente, salt seem to hold onto pasta more since i didn't have to use a crazy ratio, so yea color me convinced.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone ever freeze a whole raw chicken? i usually buy my chickens whole, labor sales gots whole chicken for .99/lb usually it's 2.49/lb, thinking about stocking up on 2 more.

i heard about wrapping them in tin foil first, i leave them in the original plastic.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Whole chickens freeze just fine. No need to do anything fancy with them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't know? wives tale about freezer burn maybe? so i can just buy a packed one and just dump in freezer? cool.

i'll use the alton brown way of de-thawing, running over cold water.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i don't know? wives tale about freezer burn maybe? so i can just buy a packed one and just dump in freezer? cool.

i'll use the alton brown way of de-thawing, running over cold water.
Most of the chicken you buy has been frozen already and thawed out. Freeze away, no worries.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So i decided to make something a little goofy. Romaine dressed in Ceaser salad dressing with a touch of fake wasabi paste. Whipped potatoes in a waffle iron topped with cheese and a cheese burger with some pickeles. Delicious!

rrr_img_75538.jpg

Vitality

HUSTLE
I probably wouldve put cheese in the center of that potato waffle. Or gone all in and mix ground beef cheese and garlic cloves into the mashed potatoes then waffled it.

Then make a gravy for dipping. Maybe even use the crispy potatoes as sandwich bread and do a french dip with a gravy/ju (portabella mushroom and asparagus spears among other things)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I probably wouldve put cheese in the center of that potato waffle. Or gone all in and mix ground beef cheese and garlic cloves into the mashed potatoes then waffled it.

Then make a gravy for dipping. Maybe even use the crispy potatoes as sandwich bread and do a french dip with a gravy/ju (portabella mushroom and asparagus spears among other things)
Yah the main purpose was to try the potato waffle inspired by the tater tot trick. Was fantastic and probably will just add shit inside the potato waffle next time. Thinking some italian beef on top next time or put some beef stew on top.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Either of these sounds awesome to me. No where have I been in STL that has italian beef like Chicago.
It's pretty easy to make, you must have a meat slicer though. I've had to start making my own Giardiniera since I moved to Arizona since all the Giardiniera I can find out here is that bullshit packed in a pickling solution.