Gravy's Cooking Thread

Neph_sl

shitlord
He's good in Masterchef -- more praise and less shouting. But yeah, he's at his best when he's in teacher mode:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Question about preparing meat the day before.

In shows like Top Chef, in some challenges they do a lot of prep the day before they actually have to serve the meal. Are there any best practices/tips when it comes to preparing beef/pork the day before serving it?

I have a lot of cooking to do this long weekend, and I wouldn't mind getting some stuff ready ahead of time.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I guess I left out the most important part of my post: I wanted to know tips for cooking meat the day before, or cooking it to a certain point the day before and finishing it the next day.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really liked that one. Int he UK version he seemed more like a real mentor, the US version is more reality tv show spectacle. I normally don't watch it, but that episode Etoille posted about is pretty fucking awesome. And if you look at the yelp history, those people aren't acting. They are really like that.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit, that Amy chick is batshit insane. You almost feel bad for her for being so delusional.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Question about preparing meat the day before.

In shows like Top Chef, in some challenges they do a lot of prep the day before they actually have to serve the meal. Are there any best practices/tips when it comes to preparing beef/pork the day before serving it?

I have a lot of cooking to do this long weekend, and I wouldn't mind getting some stuff ready ahead of time.
If it's beef bring it out an hour before you cook it so it can get to room temperature. Don't be a fucking putz and marinate steak. You can also pre-sear your steaks the night before if they are of decent thickness and finish them off in the oven the day of eating. I can give you more advice if you actually post what you are cooking. Meat and pork is too vague. What kind of meat and pork.

On a side note if you want a nice steak at work. Sear it for 3 min on both sides and put it in the fridge without the top on in a tupperware dish. Put top on after it cools. At work simply put that bad boy in for 2 min and you have yourself a nice medium rare seared steak at work.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm thinking ribs on the BGE. I'd like to cook them the day before then finish them on an open flame with the sauce.

Maybe I just answered my own question :p

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm thinking ribs on the BGE. I'd like to cook them the day before then finish them on an open flame with the sauce.

Smoke them the day before and then sauce them and reheat them in the oven. No real reason to grill them again the next day and it would be easy to dry them out.

Wouldn't refrigerating a steak after searing it ruin the crust?
It won't be quite the same as if you just pulled it off the grill but if you want to cook steak for a bunch of people and have them all ready at the same time it's the best way to go.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Smoke them the day before and then sauce them and reheat them in the oven. No real reason to grill them again the next day and it would be easy to dry them out.

Wouldn't refrigerating a steak after searing it ruin the crust?
It won't be quite the same as if you just pulled it off the grill but if you want to cook steak for a bunch of people and have them all ready at the same time it's the best way to go.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
I want to make BBQ shredded chicken in my crock pot tomorrow. when I make pulled pork, I use root beer as the liquid to cook it in. would that be fine for chicken as well or should I use something different

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I thought I'd share this in case other people found it useful. After punchfork closed down, moved to pinterest, and/or became terrible, I've been looking for a replacement.Websiteslike.orgcame up withfoodgawkerwhich, so far, has been a suitable replacement. I really have to have pretty pictures when recipe browsing.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Eat my saucy boubon (meat)balls.

Whipped this up tonight. Think they turned out really well.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 cup oatmeal
1 egg
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp cayenne pepper
5 strips of bacon
1 large onion, diced
3 carrots, sliced
1 cup bourbon
2 cups beef/veggie/chicken stock
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 can tomato paste
salt to taste

In a bowl, mix together ground beef, egg, oatmeal, garlic, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Set aside. In a large skillet, cook the bacon. Set aside, leaving as much grease in pan as possible. Form ground beef mixture into 1-inch balls. Cook the meatballs in the bacon drippings until just browned on all sides. Set aside. Cook onions in pan on medium heat until brown and translucent (add a pad of butter if needed). Turn the heat up to high and add the bourbon. Cook until bourbon reduces by about half. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add stock, molasses, tomato paste and carrots. Cook until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Add bacon and stir. Add meatballs, making sure to coat them. Cook for about 5 minutes. Enjoy.