Gravy's Cooking Thread

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Another option is to rub them and set them on a rack over a pan so it doesn't sit in its own juices. I also don't think it's necessary to rub them hours before. A rub won't penetrate like a marinade. It would probably make a small difference in flavor but rubbing it just before cooking won't be too big of a deal.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I recommend this recipe. Tried it tonight. Very good.

http://www.ziplist.com/recipes/13532...iander_yoghurt

Ingredients ( Edit )

6 large potatoes (whole), par-boiled for about 20-25 minutes
125 g Medi Deli Casablanca Pesto
6 T (90 ml) extra virgin olive oil
salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
175 ml plain yoghurt
half a punnet of fresh coriander leaves (about 15 g)

Instructions

Slice par-boiled potatoes...
Mix pesto and olive oil...
Season coated potatoes well...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Another option is to rub them and set them on a rack over a pan so it doesn't sit in its own juices. I also don't think it's necessary to rub them hours before. A rub won't penetrate like a marinade. It would probably make a small difference in flavor but rubbing it just before cooking won't be too big of a deal.
I was thinking something like a rack but didn't see anyone mention it but I guess it's all moot if it doesn't make a difference letting it marinate with the rub on it over longer periods of time.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
http://www.chow.com/recipes/11801-ov...ermilk-chicken

^ I tried this recipe, it was fucking awful. Just the worst. Somehow the chicken took on a sweet property, it was vile. I kept it in the marinade about 36 hours, I think that may have been too long. I don't generally work with buttermilk aside from making cole slaw so I wasn't sure what I did wrong, but it was no bueno. Even the crust was fucked up.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lol the recipe calls for 12. Best way to marinade chicken or use a flavoring sauce is to get chicken with skin on it and inject it under the skin between it and the meat.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well it wasn't quite that long, but slightly longer than 24. The taste was just ugh.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Marinades don't do that. Unless you use something that has papain. Marinades are basically flavorful concentrated brines/pickles.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
http://www.chow.com/recipes/11801-ov...ermilk-chicken

^ I tried this recipe, it was fucking awful. Just the worst. Somehow the chicken took on a sweet property, it was vile. I kept it in the marinade about 36 hours, I think that may have been too long. I don't generally work with buttermilk aside from making cole slaw so I wasn't sure what I did wrong, but it was no bueno. Even the crust was fucked up.
Did you pat the skin dry? That's way to long to marinate. Cornflakes sound awful as a crust for chicken, way to sweet for my tastes.

Try this recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

rrr_img_28141.jpg

rrr_img_28141.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I didn't pat dry, the recipe says to basically shake off the excess but leave it wet for when you put it in the corn flakes. Maybe the sweetness was from the corn flakes, it was just a really unpleasant taste, the sweetness combined with the garlic taste. I'll probably just go back to doing old school breaded chicken with panko in the oven like I always have, no reason to fuck up a good thing. I just wanted to try something new.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I loooooooove garlic, but I have actually never just had roasted garlic. I remember seeing someone (i think Alton?) roast off an entire bulb of garlic and I always wanted to try that but I never got around to it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Here's a great party snack - take a whole head of garlic, slice the top off so that the cloves are all open. Put it in a little ramekin, pour olive oil in until the bulb is floating, and bake at 375 until the whole thing is soft and very fragrant. Then, put the head of garlic on a plate, and put the olive oil out with a bit of chopped basil. Using a little spoon, you can scoop out the softened garlic cloves, smear them on a slice of bread, or you can dip bread in the garlic infused olive oil. Very simple, very delicious.

On a side note, I'd suggest everyone in the room have some, or those who don't might experience extreme garlic breath from the others...
smile.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I can't remember who it was that did it, but one of the food network people did something similar. Cut the top off of the garlic head and drizzled olive oil directly only the garlic then seasoned with salt and pepper and roasted. I'm going to try that this weekend maybe. Only problem is I don't want to eat a whole fuckin loaf of bread so I might try a different vessel for the garlic.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I do the same thing. Chop top off, olive oil, s&p, wrap in tinfoil, oven it for about 20 mins.

I used to put it on my steak with each bite. That is until I found the glories of horseradish.

rrr_img_28282.jpg

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What are people's thoughts on restaurant reviews? I know Etoille made a few posts in the FOH cooking thread, but those seemed more high end and not on a regular basis. A few friends and I are thinking of hitting a bunch of our local BBQ places this summer, but I'm not sure that I want to post any of it in this thread since this thread seems to be more about cooking yourself. Should I start a new thread like the Fast Food thread? Put it in the Grown-Up section or in product reviews? Post them all in here? Making a thread only about BBQ or focused on KC restaurants seemed far too narrow and focused, maybe a generic 'local restaurant review thread'?