Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Probably a dumb question, but when you drop in the egg, do you let the thing boil whole, or do you stir it up so that it ends up more the consistency of eggdrop soup, with little ribbons of egg everywhere?

I have zero experience with cooking asian cuisine
The guy who told me to do that said he drops it in whole, and it kind of runs through the noodles and breaks itself up. When you drop it in, the noodles are still a little stiff.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the hillbilly culinarian today. Just made saffron rice with pork butt and a balsamic must reduction. Shit was amazing. Basmati goes incredibly well with fatty pork, it has the same sort of light stringy melting texture. Towelheads have no idea what they missing out on.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have an 8 lb pork butt in the fridge right now. Pretty sure I am going to do it up right, pulled pork for motherfucking cuban press sandwiches on my new Cuisinart griddler/pantydropper. I am so busy that I won't be able to do it until Sunday though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Slow cook it or smoke it for hours, but if you want cuban sandwiches don't pull it. Slab it. That's a really cuban right there.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've had them both ways, and I liked both. There's a great diner in St. Louis that serves one with this funky peppery lime/orange dip.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Best way to make pulled chicken? Just toss it in a crock pot and let it go? Not doing anything fancy, just trying to get standard pulled chicken for some obscure recipe my wife wants me to cook.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just put it in a crockpot for 4 hours on high with broth/whatever you're making it with. Will shred right up. Might take even less time, but I'm usually cooking it with other stuff like sweet potatoes, rice, etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ok I'll try that. It's some mexican meal that requires shredded chicken so I'll just probably do broth.
Pour a jar of salsa over the chicken, then crock-pot it. Its enough moisture to keep it tender, but adds some nice extra flavor for mexican meals.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So my latest thing is to get a 1lb ahi tuna steak, and broil it in the oven. Problem is, while I can eat seared ahi tuna in a restaurant without a problem, but I'm leery to eat it at home. Last night I cooked it until it was no pink left, and because I still tuna noob, I didn't know what to put with it, so I ate it plain, and it was dry as sand.

Suck it up and eat it somewhat raw? or what do I do?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
1 Tbs Butter
1 Tbs Flour

Brown flour in butter. Add one cup chicken or vegetable stock, whisking as you add. Add 1 Tbs lemon juice, and 1 Tbs capers(optional).

Salt and pepper to taste.

Easy pan sauce. You can also add a bit of garlic, but it may overpower the fish.

And yeah, cook it less. I'd just do it in a pan on the cooktop myself.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just purchased a slim hario grinder for spices and shit
Amazon.com: Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini: French Presses: Kitchen Dining

i already have the bigger hario, skerton for coffee, but of course i didn't want to mess up the tastes and flavor of using that for spices once in a while.

i do have a basic blade grinder (the 10buck kind) but that gives me zero control and i can't produce super fine spice, i don't know how this slimmer version off hario will perform (many say the same) as the bigger one but when i did use the bigger one for spice, it made extraextraextra fine spice when i wanted it.

Last night I cooked it until it was no pink left, and because I still tuna noob, I didn't know what to put with it, so I ate it plain, and it was dry as sand.

Suck it up and eat it somewhat raw? or what do I do?
sous vide? no joke it's the only way i have ever cooked good fish

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Suck it up and eat it somewhat raw?
Yes, or give it to someone who will. Cooking tuna through is a huge waste of money. You might as well just eat it out of a can if you're going to overcook it that much.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I made a big pot of chili Tuesday night and this morning I was looking in my fridge to see what to do for breakfast and decided chili for breakfast was a winning idea.

So I made chili hash and cracked two eggs over it and let them fry/poach in the chili hash.

Pretty sure restaurants need to start doing this.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That sounds awesome. I was making Mongolian stir fried beef last night, and decided I had enough beef before it was all cut up, so this morning I had an actual steak with two runny eggs. It was delish.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I made a big pot of chili Tuesday night and this morning I was looking in my fridge to see what to do for breakfast and decided chili for breakfast was a winning idea.

So I made chili hash and cracked two eggs over it and let them fry/poach in the chili hash.

Pretty sure restaurants need to start doing this.
Theres a diner in the town where I went to college that is open all night long(caters to drunk college kids) and they serve an item they call the "Stretch"

It's a bed of hash browns, with 3 fried eggs on top of that(you can actually get fried or scrambled, I always go fried), with chili on top of that, with cheese on top of that, with onions & peppers on top of that.

It's amazing. My friends and I occasionally make them when we're tailgating for an early football game and need breakfast food with our A.M. beer drinking.
10958288_872940459422773_1394852118_n.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a place at university of Illinois that does that except they put sausage patties and biscuits and cover it with gravy instead of chili