Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm sure we've commented on how we should NOT dice an onion by following Ramsay.
1. do NOT use the horizontal slice he does, it doesn't do anything but give you a more unstable onion and you can potentially slice your fingers for no reason.
2. instead of going straight vertical cuts, try radial cuts towards the core, this gives a more uniform dice.
3. his knives aren't really that sharp.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I enjoy a peanut butter and bologna sandwich sometimes. Well, I used to, anyway. Wife won't let me have bologna anymore.
My grandfather used to eat those. Sometimes he would put jelly on them as well. My mom makes peanut butter and tomato sandwiches with mayo and you would think that they would be gross but they are totally delicious.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Are you salt sensitive HBP or something? Salt gets a bad rap.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Made some great meatloaf & garlic mashed potatoes last night. Basically just used Paula Deans meatloaf recipe, it was SUPER moist, yet firm enough that it held together well. Damn tasty.

Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf- A.K.A 'Basic' Meat Loaf Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

I had never put diced tomatoes or oats in my meatloaf before, but it worked really well. The diced bell pepper(I used a red pepper) in addition to the onions was a nice touch too.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I enjoy a peanut butter and bologna sandwich sometimes. Well, I used to, anyway. Wife won't let me have bologna anymore.
You complete me. <3

Buddy and I figured out this taste combo many years ago, and it's amazing. Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I tell them that it tastes great!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yikes. Well, as long as you still feed your wife bologna.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
1. do NOT use the horizontal slice he does, it doesn't do anything but give you a more unstable onion and you can potentially slice your fingers for no reason.
Curious why you say this, most chefs use the horizontal cut for smaller more uniform pieces.

This is still my all time favorite onion slicing video, crazy speed. I have the same knife in White #1, it's one of my favorites.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Curious why you say this, most chefs use the horizontal cut for smaller more uniform pieces.
cuz if you look at an onion logically, it's naturally separated. the reason chefs make the horizontal cut is that they're all taught wrong and habit.

plus look closely at the video you just posted, that guy can't even control his onion, first onion he makes horizontal cuts 50% in, and barely makes vertical slices worth a damn, that he has to flip and crosscut his onion towards the end.

Later on in onion 4, his horizontal cuts are barely 25%, cuz he's loosing control, also it doesn't matter anyway.

skrala

cuz if you look at an onion logically, it's naturally separated. the reason chefs make the horizontal cut is that they're all taught wrong and habit.

plus look closely at the video you just posted, that guy can't even control his onion, first onion he makes horizontal cuts 50% in, and barely makes vertical slices worth a damn, that he has to flip and crosscut his onion towards the end.

Later on in onion 4, his horizontal cuts are barely 25%, cuz he's loosing control, also it doesn't matter anyway.
The horizontal slices are to keep the outer layers uniform, I'm not sure I'd say all chefs are 'taught wrong'.

The guy in the video is more impressive for pure speed and kinfe sharpness, he doesn't keep the root on which is why the flip is required at the end.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The horizontal slices are to keep the outer layers uniform, I'm not sure I'd say all chefs are 'taught wrong'.

The guy in the video is more impressive for pure speed and kinfe sharpness, he doesn't keep the root on which is why the flip is required at the end.
they are, just look at an onion halved, there is no reason for the horizontal cuts, other than to increase the likely hood of cutting yourself, loosing stability, and following old/wrong/outdated technique.

using radial cuts on an onion is the smarter, safer way.
rrr_img_90814.jpg

skrala

they are, just look at an onion halved, there is no reason for the horizontal cuts, other than to increase the likely hood of cutting yourself, loosing stability, and following old/wrong/outdated technique.

using radial cuts on an onion is the smarter, safer way.
rrr_img_90814.jpg
Radial cuts are fine, I've just never seen anyone do them at near the speed of traditional horizontal/vertical cuts. No big deal for a home cook obviously.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Horizontal slicing is for people who care about each onion piece being the same size and doing it quickly.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
PS I crushed a clove of garlic the other day that made me cry worse than an onion. Oooooh lawdy.