Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've got a 120 year old cast iron in my kitchen. How jelly are you right now?
rrr_img_32909.jpg

But seriously. Sutekh is my king.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't understand what the upside of a stainless steel pan is. I have one and it has no advantages over my cast iron ones, things stick to it way worse, it cost way more, and I have no idea why the hell I even have it. Cast iron has all the advantages that people have mentioned plus it's cheap (as long as you don't buy that la creuset bullshit). I do use a teflon pan for cooking eggs most of the time, but it's entirely possible to do it in a seasoned cast iron pan.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't understand what the upside of a stainless steel pan is. I have one and it has no advantages over my cast iron ones, things stick to it way worse, it cost way more, and I have no idea why the hell I even have it. Cast iron has all the advantages that people have mentioned plus it's cheap (as long as you don't buy that la creuset bullshit). I do use a teflon pan for cooking eggs most of the time, but it's entirely possible to do it in a seasoned cast iron pan.
Most of the time I use my stainless steel when going from stove top -> oven. Don't really like baking my cast iron unless I'm making some sweet sweet corn bread. Plus stainless is much easier when deglazing.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Aren't there some things you don't put into cast iron pans? Like tomatoes or some shit?

The Master

Bronze Squire
I've always been amazed that some people don't like Cilantro. I always have some on hand, and it can turn a bland meal into a delight, and has some extremely powerful health benefits. I can't imagine any type of south-west or Thai cooking without it (great with eggs too).
At any rate, I recently read that some people have a genetic prredisposition to cilantro that makes it taste like soap.
Yeah, just like how some people cannot eat brussel sprouts. There is a compound in them that only some people can taste.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I save all my bacon fat in a jar in the fridge. I use it in many things such as soups, chilis, tomatoe sauce... Fuck, my grandpa used to use that shit as spread on his toast.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I save all my bacon fat in a jar in the fridge. I use it in many things such as soups, chilis, tomatoe sauce... Fuck, my grandpa used to use that shit as spread on his toast.
How long does that keep? I have wanted to but I was never sure I would use it in time.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Aren't there some things you don't put into cast iron pans? Like tomatoes or some shit?
Yeah, tomatoes, vinegar, wine are all pretty acidic and break down the seasoning and can corrode the iron underneath giving it a metallic irony taste. If your Cast Iron is well seasoned, you probably won't see a problem. If you're making stews and such that are based off wine or tomatoes, such as a bolognese that you stew for hours, it may become an issue and you're better off with SS or Enamaled iron. If your food tastes fine, then your gtg.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
How long does that keep? I have wanted to but I was never sure I would use it in time.
Forever.

rrr_img_32957.jpg

Thats been my in fridge for longer than six months. Scooped out a tablespoon worth yesterday to fry up two eggs and tasted just fine.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Basically any fond based sauce you want steel or aluminium. Since that makes up approximately a billion sauces they are pretty useful.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thought I was in a different thread for a minute, seeing a giant picture of jarred white stuff upon entry...

That fat will eventually go rancid. Just be careful what other stuff you put in the freezer with it. Maybe stick some plastic wrap on the lid.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I made something similar tothislast night. I basically cooked the chicken in the wok, removed it, added some green peppers and pea pods and scallions, cooked that for a minute, then added the sauce and chicken back in. For the sauce I doubled it up and used probably a little too much of the chili garlic sauce. But it was nice and spicy, wife loved it. It was not overly sweet like I thought it would be. I was looking for a quick dinner that I could do with chicken breast outside of grilling/breading/whatever and this worked really well served over some brown rice.