Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I fucked up and don't have balsamic for the flank steak thing I was going to do tonight. Halp bros.

I am thinking of trying a spice rub with some garlic, salt, pepper, and something else. I am already doing some roasted potatoes with garlic, paprika, and ancho chile powder so I thought that would complement it pretty well if I used more of the chile powder.
Try this for about 3 hours

2 cloves chopped or diced garlic
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1tbsp honey
3 tbsp Whiskey
? tsp red pepper flakes

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I eat my steak with rusty nails and a finely chopped slurry of coal and ghost pepper sauce.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Try this for about 3 hours

2 cloves chopped or diced garlic
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1tbsp honey
3 tbsp Whiskey
? tsp red pepper flakes
I didn't have 3 hours;( And I didn't have rosemary either, because I fail. So I did a simple garlic/salt/pepper rub. It tasted great, but was not exactly breaking the mold.

Today was the first time I ever cooked with ancho chile. I Expected it to be spicy as fuck from the way it stank up my house, but it was quite mild. Too mild, actually, potatoes felt underseasoned. Live and learn.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sutekh has a great recipe for creme brulee. Legit. Ask him about it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Flank steak is not tough at all as long as you slice it correctly (thin and across the grain).

I also hate cooking with whiskey. I love drinking whiskey straight but I have never found a recipe with whiskey in it where I thought the wiskey improved the food. Ditto for beer. Reducing beer just makes it bitter as hell. I have cooked brats in budweiser and that is fine but just because Bud doesn't have much flavor. I don't get it.

Red wine of course is great to cook meat in. Short ribs braised in red wine and beef stock for a couple hours are the shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are there any good places to find recipes for various sauces? Kind of a vague question.

For instance, we used to love the sauce they used on the Garlic Chicken con Broccoli from Olive Garden, but they took it off the menu. I've tried a few recipes online, but it made me wonder about making other sauces for different pasta/rice/chicken/steak dishes. I guess I'm looking for more italian-style cream based sauces.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Cooking with whiskey is best left to fucking TGIF and other joke restaurants.

You want a good steak, buy a decent cut.

Drop an inch of butter, and a teaspoon of peanut oil into cast iron or stainless steel. Yes fucking peanut oil. Any moron who tells you to "cook" cold-pressed olive oil doesn't understand jack fucking shit.

Sear that bitch, spooning the liquid rapidly over the top of your steak. Finish it off in the oven until only a good veterinarian can save it IE slightly harder than a wet sponge. S&P as needed, it doesn't need it though.

I charge 35 bucks for my steaks. And never once had a customer return it. The only steak that needs marinades or glazes are cheap cuts, or god forbid frozen.

Also whoever started this overcooking tri-tip bullshit I see everywhere now needs to go to hell. Cook tri-tip rare. For the love of Jesus H Christ, please cook tri-tip rare. The leftovers are the best sandwich cuts PERIOD.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Flank steaks are awesome because they are a canvas for awesome marinade flavors. Chef John at foodwishes (watch him!) has done a bunch -here'sthe most recent.
Thanks for the link. I keep watching this guy despite a joviality that I would normally loathe. The recipes look really good and simple.

Tea_sl

shitlord
I've made a lot of his stuff and I've liked probably 85% of it, which is a lot fucking better than pretty much any other recipe book I've used. His cooking style is also really similar to mine, so he introduces to me awesome dishes and I sort of run with it without worrying that experimentation is going to fuck it up.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
tl;dr: What's a good general purpose frying pan for the house? And if possible, why is it good?

I've had a teflon frying pan for almost a decade now. It's seen so much use most of the teflon coating has come off, and seeing as I've read that teflon is toxic and should not be heated (lol) I was wondering maybe it's time to buy a new one, preferably not teflon. But I would like to know what alternatives are good (iron? stainless-steel? aluminium?). My friend has this Salad Master electrical pan and swears by it but I'm skeptical for two reasons. Firstly, because it costs more than 10 times what most other pans cost, and secondly, you can't really shake it and roll stuff around in it well. Oh, and you need to cook stuff in a special way.

So what types of pans are good? I don't mind it being heavy, like cast iron or something. The main things I want is that it cooks well, is repetitively general purpose (i.e. can cook most things that need to fry) and does not poison me due to bleeding toxic chemicals when I heat it up.

And as I said in the tl;dr, I'd love to know why certain pans are considered better than others, if possible.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Cast iron. You can go straight from the stovetop to the oven, no worries about scratching or chipping off, you can do almost anything with it, it is the best. Easy cleanup too, and as long as you keep up the maintenance it will last forever.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Teflon isn't toxic until high temperatures, ~550F. So don't stick your non-stick in a really hot oven and you'll be fine.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it should be mentioned that the body is incapable of processing teflon, from what I understand. If you eat some, you pass it out whole and untouched.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the tip with the cast iron pan, I'll take a look at some. And thanks for the info on teflon. However, another pet peeve I have with it is that stuff still stuck to the pan anyway. Maybe I just had a shitty cheap pan but to be honest, I'm not that bothered about stuff sticking to pans. From what I see from cooking videos and shows stuff is supposed to stick to them, then you go and deglaze the pan and make awesome sauce with it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Depends on what you're making. Have fun cooking eggs in a cast iron pan. If your budget isn't tight, I would honestly get both.