Gravy's Cooking Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Based on your description, I don't think you have actually eaten tomato soup. It's like when the guy said boobs feel like bags of sand on the 40 year old virgin.
Milk or water, still doesn't matter. It's closer to being a drink than a soup.

Who here likes plain chowder (no clams, no potato, no corn, no vegetables, no anything, just milky liquid)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The word soup is not defined by having chunks of things in it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Definitions aside, he has a valid opinion on the food itself. Textural contrast is very important to food. I prefer a lower quality ice cream with chunks in it(usually Ben and Jerry's does this best) over a higher quality ice cream because the latter is relatively boring(still ice cream though). However, the complaint here seems relatively minor because it's easily solved by:

Croutons
Any sandwich with a crispy exterior(grilled, fried, panini press, whatever)
Bread
Crackers
Chips
Bacon
Bacon bits

And that's just shit off the top of my head. If you're having soup and have nothing palatable to improve its texture, you're probably the Narrator.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I agree. The entire topic was grilled cheese w/ tomato soup. I always put some crackers(or similar) in my soup, even if it has chunks of meet/noodles/etc.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The word soup is not defined by having chunks of things in it.
Soup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm (but may be cool or cold), that is made by combining ingredients such as meat and vegetables with stock, juice, water, or another liquid. Hot soups are additionally characterized by boiling solid ingredients in liquids in a pot until the flavors are extracted, forming a broth.

Traditionally, soups are classified into two main groups: clear soups and thick soups. The established French classifications of clear soups are bouillon and consomm?.
boillon sounds a lot like broth.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
None of that says it has to be chunky. There are many pureed soups.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Plus good tomato soup also has chunks in it. You can't define a type of soup by a can of condensed campbell's.

4-B's Famous Tomato Soup Recipe
ALLEGEDLY FROM BILL HAINLINE HIMSELF
1 (29 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 Tablespoon chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 Cups of heavy cream or half-and-half.
Directions:
1. In a large stock pot mix tomatoes, chicken broth, margarine, onion, and baking soda. Simmer for 1 hour.
2. In a separate pot, heat cream over a low heat until hot, watching carefully so that the cream does not scorch! Once heated through add to tomato soup and serve.

And yes almost any soup is better with some crackers in it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I make tomato soup like my mom and grandma from Poland used to make. Make chicken soup first with whole bird split in 1/2, celery, onion, carrot, garlic, curley parsley bunch chopped up, salt pepper. I do this in a large stock pot, probably like a 3-4 gallon or larger. Simmer for a few hours until chicken is breaking apart uncovered, then strain and reserve the stock. Usually do this a day ahead of time and just eat chicken soup that day. Then pour strained stock back into a smaller pot and add 1-2 small cans of tomato paste and whisk in. Then ad seasonings like basil or whatever you like maybe some brown sugar if to sour to balance it. Re-season if it needs it and let this simmer for 30 min. Then take a whole 16 oz sour cream tub and add 3-4 tablespoons of flour and whisk into the sour cream, then whisk this into the soup garnish with more parsley and chicken if any is left over.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any history to that recipe? Feels like someone took a good base recipe and bolted on a couple quick additions.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Any history to that recipe? Feels like someone took a good base recipe and bolted on a couple quick additions.
Dont know about the history of it, its just how the family wenches did it for eons I guess. The flour and sour cream trick gets used in some other soups my mom makes, like pickle soup. But all their bases start with chicken or beef stock one day, then morph into some other soup a day later for variety. You have to think though, back then people were poor in Poland and food was scarce when under communism, so they had to make shit stretch. BTW you will get tons more tomato flavor by using tomato paste than fresh or canned tomatoes. That shit is concentrated tomato goodness.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Bisi protip: I would sub the sugar for wine.
Not bad, but still throw in a little sugar.

Fuck it. I'm making this with grilled cheese tonight. We're going to dip our sandwiches in the soup, and with each bite, we will mock the haters. Mock them, I tell you.

Smoked Gouda on home made bread with a strip of bacon in each sandwich.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Smoked Gouda on home made bread withastrip of bacon in each sandwich.
Commie bastard.

Also, not a fan of smoked gouda. I'm not sure why, because I love smoked meat. If anyone is old or poor enough to remember, government (gov'ment) cheese is the best ever for grilled cheese. I'd happily pay for some now if I could locate it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, not a fan of smoked gouda.
We can't be friends anymore
frown.png