Gravy's Cooking Thread

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no, i didnt cook this in a james cameron film.
rrr_img_110193.jpg
i barbecued/smoked a spatchcock chicken yesterday. i included some applewood chunks. walmart sells a 9 pound bag for like 7 or 8 dollars. a big chunk burned for 2 hours.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Speaking of mozz sticks. This place is right around the corner from my house. Look at the first review and no, I did not write it.

Google

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I make hearty tomato soup, a play on beef and tomato. 1 big pot, oil/butter to sautee onions/garlic/ginger throw in a 1lb of beef, bones/marrow/oxtail. splash of vinegar to quickly deglaze the bottom. Then 2 cans of whole tomato, puree'd (i don't like to buy pre puree), even some tomato paste if you wanna go all tomato'y. about 2 lb/s of russets, then just 4qts of water and cook on low for 6hours min. after the 6hour mark the soup changes to like super hearty and thick, color changes too. you gotta do some scum surfing in a few hours, and also drag out the oil (or it'd be oily on the lips).

by then of dinner, i'll have 6 to 8 quarts leftover and i'll freeze it for individual meals.

I used to add carrots/celery some shrooms and green peppers, my wife didn't like that, she wanted basically pure tomato, "none of that other vegetable garbage".

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Tomato soup is what you want with a grilled cheese sandwich. Vegetable or Minestrone can do in a pinch but tomato is the shit. Erronius lives up to his name on this page.

My mom used to make a killer ham and corn chowder. It's best with leftover ham from Christmas dinner or something. She put dill in it, fucking great.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Tomato soup is the worst
Fact.

It's not that it tastes horrible or something, but it's just worthless. It's liquid. That's it. By the same token I don't like eating a bowl of plain chicken broth. Soup needs to have *something* in it to be a redeeming part of a meal, veggies, meat, noodles, beans, whatever. Tomato Soup is basically a glass of V8 warmed up. That's not food. It's a drink that accompanies real food. By the same token you might as well call a mug of hot chocolate "chocolate soup". Same thing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fact.

It's not that it tastes horrible or something, but it's just worthless. It's liquid. That's it. By the same token I don't like eating a bowl of plain chicken broth. Soup needs to have *something* in it to be a redeeming part of a meal, veggies, meat, noodles, beans, whatever. Tomato Soup is basically a glass of V8 warmed up. That's not food. It's a drink that accompanies real food. By the same token you might as well call a mug of hot chocolate "chocolate soup". Same thing.
Based on your description, I don't think you have actually eaten tomato soup. It's like when the guy said boobs feel like bags of sand on the 40 year old virgin.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
By the same token you might as well call a mug of hot chocolate "chocolate soup". Same thing.
I mean you can if you really want to. That doesn't stop tomato soup from being a soup, though.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fact.

That is why using it to dunk grilled cheese into is perfect. The grill cheese is that "something" that is missing. Two products coming together in harmony. I don't know anyone that ever has tomato soup without grill cheese.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fact.

That's what the grilled cheese is for. I make mine like that Food Wishes guy(cheese on the outside and inside) and then chop it up into little pieces after grilling so you basically got croutons for your soup. Add them a few at a time so it doesn't ruin the crust. Or, if you're lazy, just toss some Cheezits in there.

Also, I'll admit I only got this idea from having to chop up my son's food when he was an infant.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Are you fools making your tomato soup with water? Milk, friends.
I've tried that, still doesn't do it for me. Seems like a waste of perfectly good tomato products to me.

The only reason I have a single can of Cambell's is my mother gave me a box of food out of her kitchen that she was never going to eat, hoping that I would eat whatever.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Based on your description, I don't think you have actually eaten tomato soup. It's like when the guy said boobs feel like bags of sand on the 40 year old virgin.
I want that recipe, that sounds awesome.