Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Brisket is no 47 hours in the sous vide. About to take it out, put on a rub, and finish in the oven for a couple hours. yum

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I did. And it was fucking glorious. so so good, it took serious will power to not sit in the corner eating meat until I sweat.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I ended up taking that hunk of slab bacon and braising it in apple cider with a splash of bourbon for about 4 hours @ 350. It quite literally melted in your mouth after that!! Definitely the best meat experience I've had in a very long time and I'm pretty much going to go out and buy another hunk so I can do it again this weekend.

Gorgeous dish to pull out of the oven!

Bourbon and Cider Braised Bacon | The Domestic Man

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Damn, that sounds amazing.

I made red beans and rice over the weekend. It turned out pretty good for being a vegetarian version. I even took a hand blender and turned it to the same consistency that popeye's has.

Plan on making some Crock Pot BBQ chicken this week as well. I've been making everything in large quantities since I started my budget, so far everything has been legit.

A few more questions on cast iron cookware. After cooking chicken in the pan I'm having hell getting some of the residue off, I know I'm not supposed to scrub the shit out of it because it will remove the seasoning. Is that something that I'm supposed to leave on to increase the flavor?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A few more questions on cast iron cookware. After cooking chicken in the pan I'm having hell getting some of the residue off, I know I'm not supposed to scrub the shit out of it because it will remove the seasoning. Is that something that I'm supposed to leave on to increase the flavor?
You scrub the residue off, just dont use soap. Use a wooden spatula or even a metal brush or I like using brass scrub pads. Then re-season it with more oil. Then there will come a day that nothing sticks to it when ts finally seasoned properly, this usually takes time to build that nice coating. Also when storing the pan, make sure to rub some more oil on it so it does not rust.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
A little soap is ok even, once it's seasoned well. It will not remove the seasoning. Just don't soak it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I use nylon instead of metal brushes/steel wool. If you heat up the pan a bit, wet the nylon scrub brush/pad, and go to work it's pretty easy to get it clean.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It sounds like a lot of work but it isn't. Stainless pots/pans aren't any easier to clean just because you can use soap. You still need to scrub/scour them.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They are actually less work than any pan once they are seasoned properly. All you have to do is do some peanut oil in a 450F oven for like 30-45 min a couple of times, then just dont use a lot of soap. They clean up with a damp paper towel after that most of the time.

I use them mostly for shit like hamburgers, deep frying and steaks. Other than that I use the teflon shit like you lol.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I ended up taking that hunk of slab bacon and braising it in apple cider with a splash of bourbon for about 4 hours @ 350. It quite literally melted in your mouth after that!! Definitely the best meat experience I've had in a very long time and I'm pretty much going to go out and buy another hunk so I can do it again this weekend.

Gorgeous dish to pull out of the oven!

Bourbon and Cider Braised Bacon | The Domestic Man
Sounds excellent.

I want a Dirk brisket and Funk bacon sammich.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user