Gravy's Cooking Thread

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Meat day today:

For lunch, just had green chili queso burgers

and for dinner tonight, 1 1/2" Rib-eye steaks, basted in smoked brisket suet.

What the fuck do I care about clogged arteries?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Local winco grocery store has bone in chicken thighs for 68 cents a pound. Cheapest I think I've ever seen! Picked up 2 packs only because I'm outta freezer room!

Loyang_sl

shitlord
Just got a supreme sous vide for xmas. Only problem is that i dont have the sealing bag vacuum machine yet. Will any Of them work or should i buy a specific one. I know its been talked about before but i dont really feel like searching in the past 30 pages. Thx!!

The Master

Bronze Squire
Just got a supreme sous vide for xmas. Only problem is that i dont have the sealing bag vacuum machine yet. Will any Of them work or should i buy a specific one. I know its been talked about before but i dont really feel like searching in the past 30 pages. Thx!!
You can just use the water displacement method honestly, you don't need a vacuum sealer. Even Modernist Cuisine actually prefers the water displacement method for a lot of applications.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Meat day today:

For lunch, just had green chili queso burgers

and for dinner tonight, 1 1/2" Rib-eye steaks, basted in smoked brisket suet.

What the fuck do I care about clogged arteries?
When my grandmother was going into hospice the nurse told her "Now you're not on a diet now, you can eat anything you want to" and just for a second I felt a little jealous.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So, I went to lightly wash the Dutch Oven with water after I finished off the stew but had some shit that would not come off. I fucked up and tried to soak it in water and now I have to get some steal wool, scrape that rusty shit off and re-season.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, I went to lightly wash the Dutch Oven with water after I finished off the stew but had some shit that would not come off. I fucked up and tried to soak it in water and now I have to get some steal wool, scrape that rusty shit off and re-season.
Soak it in Coca Cola first to make removing the rust easier.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is that like using sand paper to loosen ice on your windshield first?
The Phosphoric acid in the soda will help dissolve the rust and make the cleaning much easier. It's also a low enough amount that you wont hurt anything. It's why people use coca cola to polish chrome. It's more like using a remote starter to heat up your car before you scrape off your windshield.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I got a giant hunk of some really nice slab bacon for Christmas. Anything interesting I should do with the slab that I wouldn't normally do with regular bacon?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I am excite.

Made cornbread in my cast iron skillet last night. Was delish. Am making roasted root vegetables in it right now, and in my Dutch Oven I'm making a beef and ale stew with mustard dumplings. Will report back.

My wife tells me I'm a nerd because I'm excited about cookware. I only hit her once.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Can you detail what mustard dumplings are? I've not heard of them.

Also, Sir Funk, is it sliced or whole slab?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Can you detail what mustard dumplings are? I've not heard of them.

Also, Sir Funk, is it sliced or whole slab?
I don't know how to describe them really, it was just self raising flour, mustard and suet. They didn't have a texture like a dumpling to me but they were quite tasty and went very well with the stew. I did have to add a lot more Suet than the recipe states due to the excess amount of flour I had in the bowl that the recipe had called for. I just kept adding and mixing until things evened out.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My dad's up here, made him a sous vide steak today. probably going to do up a chicken pot pie in a couple of days. It promises to be amazeballs.