Gravy's Cooking Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Skirt steak and flank steak are both delicious and both expensive as hell nowadays. I mean shit... around here those two cuts are almost as expensive as ribeye.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, they are both around $7.99/lb around me. sometimes you can get T-bones for $6.99 when on sale.

Question, what cut is used for carne asada? Like the shit that they slice up for fajitas in restaurants?

Khane

Usually flank or skirt. Most places around here use flank.

There isn't all that much of a difference, both are delicious when cooked properly. But I do prefer skirt to flank.

Khane

Speaking of Carne Asada I had some leftover pork shoulder country style ribs so I decided to shred them and make a burrito and made a green chile sauce to slather said burrito in last night for dinner. The pork shoulder had a decent amount of fat and I crisped it up nice before shredding the pork. It was heaven on a plate.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, they are both around $7.99/lb around me. sometimes you can get T-bones for $6.99 when on sale.

Question, what cut is used for carne asada? Like the shit that they slice up for fajitas in restaurants?
What the fuck?! Skirt steak here is 11.99/lb at a regular super market(shit is upwards of 14.99 for prime at the Italian market I go to). I'm stoked when it's on sale for 9.99/lb.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What the fuck?! Skirt steak here is 11.99/lb at a regular super market(shit is upwards of 14.99 for prime at the Italian market I go to). I'm stoked when it's on sale for 9.99/lb.
You have fresh fish to compensate, the midwest gets cheap[er] beef.

Khane

You should see the price of grouper here in CT. It always starts with the letter M!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Time to make a ridiculous amount of pulled pork.

giphy.gif

Grabbed the regular Cowtown. Cooking for a bunch of people, will try the hot stuff later. There's like half an aisle of BBQ sauces but I really only chose from this selection. And yes, this phone is a potato.

VPWAxd0.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Dug a pit on the beach this afternoon to get a metric fucktonne of coals going so we can cook huge amounts of pork ribs underground tomorrow. Fire will burn for about 8 hours, then we'll wrap and bury the pork, it will cook for around 30 hours underground. Will report back. I'm excited.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dug a pit on the beach this afternoon to get a metric fucktonne of coals going so we can cook huge amounts of pork ribs underground tomorrow. Fire will burn for about 8 hours, then we'll wrap and bury the pork, it will cook for around 30 hours underground. Will report back. I'm excited.
pics, hole and all!

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider

Actually its usually thin slices of chuck roast cut against the grain. Flank and skirt is too gamey (in my opinion) to eat in a flour tortilla. Pretty sure you got Mexican markets in Detroit, hit one up and go the meat section and look for "diezmillo" which you can find prepackaged.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Yeah.. watch the one in the video. The one in the Jamie At Home recipe is the one I use.. One of my favorite cooking show episodes ever. I do just about every one of dishes he does in that over the course of the summer.

The episode on tomatoes (S1E1 I think) is amazing too. My garden has 24 tomato plants, about 18 different types of tomatos, most of which I put in there with plans to make these all summer.

Can't wait for the fucking Sungold and Supersweet 100s to come in, just had my first outbreak of blossoms..... sooooon.

This is the recipe for the Mothership Tomato Salad.. I make this about 5 times a summer with my garden tomatos

One change I make though is I use Burrata instead of Mozzarella.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Erronius, you motherfucker! Burrata is far closer to mozzarella than cottage is to ricotta!

@$%!%$@#$@!#$

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I was actually going to say something about using muenster or provolone instead since they're all really about the same