Gravy's Cooking Thread

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
About to pick up thisbad boy. Do you bros agree with my purchase? I want to smoke some shit this weekend since I got nowhere else to go.

Now, that being said, someone give me some smoking guidelines as well as some good marinades/seasonings.

What ribs should I get?

Yes, I'm sure I asked this shit before, but I forgot because I didn't follow through.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Agree. Do it to it.

I just picked up the ice cream maker attachment for the stand mixer. Also just picked up 2 racks of ribs. Did someone say "sous vide ribs"? I think someone said "sous vide ribs".

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Agree. Do it to it.

I just picked up the ice cream maker attachment for the stand mixer. Also just picked up 2 racks of ribs. Did someone say "sous vide ribs"? I think someone said "sous vide ribs".
More like "Sous vide dibs" am I right?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Please report back about sous vide ribs. I'm now excited about sous vide ribs, and if you don't deliver a report I'm going to tell IRB, Tanoomba, and lithouse you believe the moon landing was faked.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Please report back about sous vide ribs. I'm now excited about sous vide ribs, and if you don't deliver a report I'm going to tell IRB, Tanoomba, and lithouse you believe the moon landing was faked.
I think we need more than a report; I will happily send funds to his Paypal account for a DELIVERY of sous vide ribs. I can make my own ice cream.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
What about cake pops? Can you make cake pops?
I think I need to keep reading threads historically so I can better understand all of the references.

But, if you are really asking me if I can make cake pops, the answer would be "probably" but I haven't ever made any. I am more of a cake roll or peach pie kind of girl.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think I need to keep reading threads historically so I can better understand all of the references.

But, if you are really asking me if I can make cake pops, the answer would be "probably" but I haven't ever made any. I am more of a cake roll or peach pie kind of girl.
I promised to make the moderators a bunch of cake pops. I tried, I failed, I hung my head in shame.

The actual cake pop is not hard. I was going to make them very specific ones.

xhGmHE4.jpg

The top is what they were supposed to look like, the bottom looks better than what mine looked like. Mine were at least the same shade of brown but that's about where it ended.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a half rack of st louis style ribs in the freezer. I did some slow cooker ribs a few weeks ago and couldn't fit it all in. I was just going to put them in a batch of pasta sauce, but since they are already vacuum sealed, maybe I'll sous vide them. How long do you sous vide them for?

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you google around you'll see the recommendations of 12 hours @ 165 or 36 hours @ 145.

The 165 method makes them more like traditionally BBQ'd ribs--fall off the bone, meat kind of shreds a bit. Cooking them at the lower temp for longer is good too, the ribs are meatier and very juicy, but they kind of tear off the bone instead.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
what in the fuck
Sear up the pork and meatballs, let them finish in the pasta sauce slowly all day. Fish the bones out and you have chunks of pork in your sauce. This is not rocket science son.

St. Louis style is just the cut of the rib. They are not seasoned in any way(yet).

The city provides the name of St. Louis-style ribs, which are spare ribs with the sternum bone, cartilage and rib tips removed to create a rectangular-shaped rack.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
G would always be peeved if all we could find was St. Louis style...he wanted the ribs to have their tips. It was just one of the "St. Louis" food style things he didn't like.....Imo's pizza with provel was another.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'm circumcised, so I'm used to losing the tip on my meat.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I think I'm going with baby backs after doing a bit of reading on the net, now I need to figure out a rub or sauce to use, how do you guys do your smoked ribs? Just a sauce from the grocery store?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm going to try and make my own. Doing the low carb thing, but I also like a really vinegary sauce and that is hard to find in the store.