Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I actually decided to do something different today so we're having ribs tomorrow.

so when it is all said and done it will have been 48 hours at 155.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Ribs turned out much better this time but I still need to work on perfecting them.

I ended up doing 1.5-1-1 and they were really good, the meat was still a little tough so maybe I need to go to 2 hours on the second step. I think I might try again next weekend.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did sous vide ribs for 36 hours, didn't even need sauce, i did buy a bottle of some bbq sauce, it sounds racist, but i just grabbed the one with a black mans face on it... gotta be good right? and it was. Fricken buy 1 rack of ribs, get TWO!!! free? wtf, when i told ppl i was bringing ribs, they thought i was crazy, psshhh, just threw those 3 ribs (already vaccum packed) in sous vide, then took em out when ready 36 hours later, put on tray)

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Well, I have decided that the steak was acceptable, not bad for a first try but will probably lower the temp as it came out on the medium side of medium rare. It took on good caramelization in the smoking hot cast pan.
I made a salad to eat with it that turned out great. I know - it's a flipping salad, but I just chopped up veg that I had in the fridge: cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, and a vidalia onion; added some dried cranberries for color (I wanted raspberries but I had eaten all of them...) and made a simple oil and vinegar dressing but what made it the best was that I chopped some fresh lemon balm and thyme from my herb garden. That put it into the "gosh I hope I can make this again and have it turn out this good again" realm.

But back to the sous vide - since it turned out ok, I will continue to try and sous vide with the rest of you crazy kids.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Well, I have decided that the steak was acceptable, not bad for a first try but will probably lower the temp as it came out on the medium side of medium rare. It took on good caramelization in the smoking hot cast pan.
I made a salad to eat with it that turned out great. I know - it's a flipping salad, but I just chopped up veg that I had in the fridge: cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, and a vidalia onion; added some dried cranberries for color (I wanted raspberries but I had eaten all of them...) and made a simple oil and vinegar dressing but what made it the best was that I chopped some fresh lemon balm and thyme from my herb garden. That put it into the "gosh I hope I can make this again and have it turn out this good again" realm.

But back to the sous vide - since it turned out ok, I will continue to try and sous vide with the rest of you crazy kids.
Keep trying it! Every cooking technique takes time to perfect.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah it took me a while. I prefer sous vide at 125 for about 3 hours for steak. That is way too rare for my wife, for me it comes out just the right kind of rare when you sear it off afterwards. My wife likes well done steak (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !) so i just cook her a medium one and act like I messed up or something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah my wife's family prefers well done but I cooked them all medium today. No one said shit besides they were the best steaks they ever had.

Burgers came out great. Thanks for the links.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Are you guys cutting the ribs up when you Sous Vide them? Also are you cutting off the silver skin?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Are you guys cutting the ribs up when you Sous Vide them? Also are you cutting off the silver skin?
Yeah, trim them to death, and then I cut them to 2-3 rib pieces. Easier to handle when you finish them as they are so tender that a lot of handling will just cause them to fall apart.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel fucking retarded for not thinking of that. I was imagining you guys using industrial sized vacuum sealers and dropping them in a fucking kiddie pool or something with like 5 Anova's powering it. Fucking alcohol is a helluv a drug.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
On short notice tonight I found out that I had 5 big rib eyes to cook at my Mom's house and she has the world's shittiest gas grill that varies from lukewarm to medium heat depending on what part you use. I have cooked steaks on it before and it was a total shit show so I didn't want to do that. I ran to my house and grabbed my Weber Smokey Joe and a chimney full of charcoal and lit it up impatiently since everyone was waiting. It was the bottom of the bag so the pieces were real small and it was taking forever to get them all lit so I decided to dump them in the grill hoping they would light faster if they were spread out so they could breath. Everyone was waiting on me, my brother had already pretty much finished the mushroom risotto he was making to go with the steak and the grill still wasn't hot at all. I went to the shop and got my Wagner heat gun and blew on the coals until they were mostly red, waited 5 minutes, and then went and got the steaks. 5 beautiful, giant rib eyes, probably 24 oz each. Shit, only 3 fit on the grill. I threw them on, covered them, and went in the house and turned on the oven to 350. After 5 minutes I went out and flipped them. Shit again, not hot enough at all, they weren't even moderately seared. I gave them 3 minutes on the other side in hopes that it might have gotten hotter but of course it hadn't. I flipped them back to the original side and just put my heat gun pointing straight down into the coals for like a minute. It turned that fucking little grill into the inferno from hell and seared the steaks nicely thank god. I pulled 2 of them at an internal temp of about 110 and put them in the oven and left the 3rd on the grill (it was to be cooked well done for a pregnant lady). Threw the last two steaks on the grill which was still hot as fuck from the heat gun and they seared great. Flipped them over, cooked them to medium rare, pulled the other two from the oven, and we had steak. In retrospect, I should have had the oven at 250 instead of 350 because one of the steaks in there was up to an internal temp of 150 which was further than I wanted to take it but I took that one and everyone else was happy with their steak. Not perfect but considering the earlier fuck ups I was just relieved that I hadn't ruined those awesome steaks or dinner. I probably could have done better just searing them in a cast iron pan but damn it, it's the 4th of July and you're supposed to cook outside.

tl/dr - Made some steak for dinner. It was good.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Are you guys finishing the sous vide ribs under a broiler to get some char?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, best way is still smoking ribs the 3-2-1 method. I dont even use smoke anymore, just natural lump and it provides just enough smoke kick that I like. Dry rub overnight, the next day set smoker for 225-250, 3 hours, then wrap in foil for 2 hours with a bit of apple juice or some beer, then 1 more hour on 350F grill with favorite sauce. Just did it this weekend, picked up 3 slabs and all 3 were gone in like 20 min when done off the grille. You can maybe get them tender with your gay-vide and 100 hrs, but you cant get that classic smoke ring around that meat.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Why did you pick apple juice during the 2nd step? I was worried about fucking up the flavor so I went with soy sauce, water and just a bit of beer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why did you pick apple juice during the 2nd step? I was worried about fucking up the flavor so I went with soy sauce, water and just a bit of beer.
Sometimes I take a bit of water and mix in some BBQ sauce into it. It really does not matter TBH. Its a process to steam the meat. You barely taste anything of whatever you put in there at that time.