Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's not. Chicken tikka looks intimidating because of the amount of ingredients and a higher than normal amount of them(mostly the spices) likely not being in your pantry. But once you get past that, the recipe is not difficult at all. Brown the meat, saute the aromatics, deglaze, simmer for a bit/while. That's simplifying a little bit but it's honestly no different than most other braises or stews.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
My aunt told me the wing recipe my uncle gave me was missing something, smoked paprika. I made a batch the other day half with the paprika and half without. I could only sometimes barely tell the difference. I also started using ribs racks so I could shove more chicken on the grill. The woman took them to work and says everyone there was blown away by them. Next up is two more rib racks on top of an elevated secondary grill surface so that I can quadruple the number of wings I can make. Muahahahaha!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Do you make your own tikka masala sauce? Sounds like a pain in the ass.

I'd say it's as easy as making chili.

This man is my hero:

I can't praise the man enough. Real talk, find a Chef John Food Wishes recipe that looks good and make it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks. That's fairly in depth. Do you really recommend oiling it after every use?
You should anyway, cuz after you wash the cast iron, you want to dry it asap (to prevent rust) and the best way is to just put it back on the stovetop, might as well just dip a napkin in canola oil and spread it a bit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Y'all giving Errn real lasagna recipes...

Shake-My-Head-Reaction-Gif.gif
I'm just sitting here like

ErPByfSt.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You don't need to oil it every time you use it, just if it starts looking dull IMO.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Deep fry anything in your cast iron will help get a nice thick season on it. All newer cast iron cookware is going to feel rough to the touch and is a byproduct of how it's casted now-a-days. If you look at much older pots, the whole thing is going to be smooth. My father-in-law bought a new 14 quart from academy last year and has fried so much fish in it since then that you would swear the thing was 20 years old with how smooth it is.

Edit: try to avoid cooking anything acidic until it's well seasoned (tomato based sauces, chili, etc). The acidity will eat up the seasoning in which case you will definitely want to re-oil after cleaning.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if you want to invest a bit more time in your cast iron, you can take a current style pebbely cookware and sand/grind it smoother before then re-seasoning.

With not too much time and a random action sander, your gains can be substantial. Obviously the corners and sides will still be normal, but I really don't care how smooth the sides are.

The guy in this video goes a far bit farther than I cared to go, but he also got a better result because of it :p

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Girlfriend loves chili cheese dogs / chili cheese fries, also has a love for macaroni and cheese as a comfort food. So I decided to combine the two this weekend, and made chili cheese dog macaroni and cheese.

1lb beef, fried w/ garlic powder, chili powder, and Lawry's seasoning salt. 1 can 15oz Hunt's tomato sauce added once the beef was brown, and extra garlic+chili powder added at this stage. Brought to a boil then let simmer.

1lb whole grain macaroni noodles, cooked al dente. When it is half done, throw in the pot 8 all beef hot dogs (I love Kogel's brand, not sure how available that is out of Michigan). Cut the hot dogs up into little chunks after straining.

Cheese sauce: 2 cups milk, 2 tbsp flour... Bring to a simmer, then slowly add in 4 cups of sharp cheddar cheese.

Cook simultaneously if you can juggle it all. Make sure that the cheese sauce doesn't finish first or it won't mix in too well. When it is done, mix it all together in a large mixing bowl.

Was super delicious, tho a bit silly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Made Cheese tortellini and sausage soup for work lunches this week. Super easy to make and super delicious. Put some carrot, onion, celery and italian sweet sausage in a crockpot for 5 or so hours with some chicken stock. Then throw in tortelinnis and fresh spinach for about thirty minutes.

Also use fennel seed, Italian seasoning, pepper.

I'm all about the lazy cooking. But will try that Chicken Masala recipe as I have most ingredients. That site youtube site is baller Bisi thanks for sharing. I will make heavy use of it.

Making slow cooker kimchi jigae later this week.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My wife made a recipe with celery in it recently. We were trying to figure out what to do with the leftover stalks because you can't just buy the amount you need. This prompted me to think: has anyone ever tasted something and thought "could use some celery"? More specifically, if I made a recipe without celery, would it taste different at all?

Note, I'm not talking about celery seed or celery salt, that stuff is potent. And I can definitely taste when someone puts too much celery in a dish, I hate that. Worst gazpacho I've had tasted of celery plus a bit of tomato water.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Celery is almost always used as an aromatic, so it's usually softened somewhat. I'm not sure I've had a dish where I could feel the texture of the celery over other ingredients.