Gravy's Cooking Thread

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Tried Mesquite wood to smoke some BBQ chicken breasts tonight. It's a much subtler flavor than Apple, and far more subtle than Hickory. Hickory is imposing but Apple is light. Mesquite is even more light. Downright subtle. But it is still deep and robust and... welcomingly mild in its own right.

Charcoal + Chicken + Wood Smoke. I just can't say enough. So many things to try. Too bad for snow and shit. Stupid Midwest!!!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Tried Mesquite wood to smoke some BBQ chicken breasts tonight. It's a much subtler flavor than Apple, and far more subtle than Hickory. Hickory is imposing but Apple is light. Mesquite is even more light. Downright subtle. But it is still deep and robust and... welcomingly mild in its own right.

Charcoal + Chicken + Wood Smoke. I just can't say enough. So many things to try. Too bad for snow and shit. Stupid Midwest!!!
Build an indoor smoker?

In other food related questions - what would you (Gerbs et al) say was the weirdest -for your region/culture food you have eaten and or prepared?

Me: eaten - ground hog - as a teen - at my aunt's house; she had 14 children and ground hog was apparently plentiful. Did not tell me until after I ate it; was weird but did not vomit or anything. I grew up in a "you will eat what is on your plate" type of family.
Prepared: closest I can come to is pheasant eggs (there used to be a commercial pheasant farm down the road from my grandparents; my uncle worked there and would get us eggs)
Lately - nothing weird eaten or prepared. I think with the prevalence of food shows nothing is considered offal anymore. (sorry - couldn't resist).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I was raised in a, "You don't have to eat all of it, but you do have to try at least a bite" house.

I think sushi is pretty foreign, but it's popular now so maybe not. But we love sushi.

I've had fried frog's legs and snapper turtle and alligator tail and crawdads.

As far as prepared, I don't think I don't think I've gotten exotic at all. Still learning many of the basics and family recipes. Though I do seem to have successfully converted my family from ground beef tacos to chicken tacos. I became the change I wanted to see!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a brisket and ribs in the sous vide, they'll be in about 50 hours. I'm smoking a big slab o salmon tomorrow. Tomorrow night, feast.

I am excite.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The culture of food i don't like the most is Persian/Ethiopian, i don't know if there's a difference, they all look the same.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I have a brisket and ribs in the sous vide, they'll be in about 50 hours. I'm smoking a big slab o salmon tomorrow. Tomorrow night, feast.

I am excite.

I want to do a brisket, maybe for christmas or something. Last time was so, so good.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
In other food related questions - what would you (Gerbs et al) say was the weirdest -for your region/culture food you have eaten and or prepared?

Weirdest food I've had: Rocky Mountain Oysters (bison testicles), lengua (cow tongue), blood sausage, chitlins. Lengua is delicious but the rest...hard pass. I also ate a lot of food that I had no idea what it was while I was Spain. But almost all of that was delicious.

The culture of food i don't like the most is Persian/Ethiopian, i don't know if there's a difference, they all look the same.

Ethiopian is one of the funnest cuisines to consume.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Do commonly eaten foods count? Pork rinds are kinda weird if you consider it. So is sausage with authentic casing. It's like coarse spam in intestines.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Weirdest food I've had: Rocky Mountain Oysters (bison testicles), lengua (cow tongue), blood sausage, chitlins. Lengua is delicious but the rest...hard pass. I also ate a lot of food that I had no idea what it was while I was Spain. But almost all of that was delicious.

Ethiopian is one of the funnest cuisines to consume.

Growing up in the stix, the restaurant next to the cattle yard was one of the best (and only) places to eat in town. Man, I loved their rocky mountain oysters. Sure, I knew what they really were, but fuck it, there are plenty of parts of an animal that are damn tasty but potentially squirm inducing.

Pretty sure I wouldn't order them anyplace that would have to get them frozen or the like.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We eat them every year at branding time. I think that they are different than what you would get a restaurant because they come from a 4-6 week old baby calf where I think a restaurant could only get them from older animals. They aren't bad. Really nothing can be too bad when it's rolled in flour and deep fried.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
They were just really chewy and tough. The meat quality reminded me of the steak you would get with steak and eggs at Waffle House.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As i've said I'm Asian, specifically Chinese and i think the most intimidating place for a non Asian would be Dim Sum. Like real dim sum where they stuff you in a round table with other strangers and carts just blaze by you, as such I've taken well over 100ish ppl over the years to Dim Sum.

Besides the retards who come in wanting to be vegetarian, a lot of ppl are turned off by stuff, some ppl who even consider themselves "Foodies", fail at dim sum. One of my more favorite couples was this black couple.

tripe.jpg

"yau pak yhip"
black girl said "what's that", I say "i don't know, that's intestine", she's like "oh that's just like chitlins, lets try some"

20110417-dim-sum-fung-zao.jpg

"fong jao"

then i'm like "chicken feet?" she's like "no different than pigs feet!"

I find a lot of ppl can't deal with entrails, even basic stuff like heart and liver. Some can't deal with extremities, like feet or ears/cheeks, basically anything that resembles an animal.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I live two blocks from Chinatown in SF and I've never been to a dim sum place.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I live two blocks from Chinatown in SF and I've never been to a dim sum place.
Do yourself a culinary favor and snag a chinese friend or some fucking slant eye'd neighbor and goto
Dol Ho

Hole in the wall 8 table? store, tiny, but Dim Sum was delicious, and when i say Dim Sum from a place is delicious, it's like god tier. There are many other Dim Sum places in SF, this one, from the chinese community i asked is the best, couple of notes.

1. If you go in solo, just walk in and sit down, the waitress will give you tea and a plate and a piece of paper.
2. just point to what you want, fuck if you don't know what shit is, just point, it'll be good
3. no matter what, get their sparerib with rice
o.jpg

It comes out in a big batch
o.jpg

4. Living in SF chinatown, you should know, bring cash.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Oh my gosh, I love dim sum...G and I took our niece to a place here in St Louis for it several years ago when she was around the age 14 or so. We used to take her all the time to different ethnic places. She is a senior in college now and she is so open to other cultures and food it makes me happy.
BTW...my mom side of the family is Bohemian and were not wasteful and we ate chicken feet in our soup all the time....and cock's comb too.
Tripe taco, yes, please. Beef heart Peruvian style yummmy...Lamb tongue um, OK!
If it is well prepared, it is game on!

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I just looked up my favorite SF Chinatown Dim Sum place and found out that they closed in 2011. Gold Mountain was a huge place on Broadway that seated like 2-300 people. I loved taking my family from Montana there not just for the weird food, but because sometimes you would be in there with 200 other people and there would be like 10 white people in the place and almost no one that you could speak English to. Sorry to hear that they closed. We did always skip the chicken feet though.

As far as variety meats go, I'm down with heart and tongue. I will eat liver to be polite but I would never order it. Brains and intestines I have to say no to. I might try chicken feet some time but from what I've heard they're just skin and gristle.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just looked up my favorite SF Chinatown Dim Sum place and found out that they closed in 2011. Gold Mountain was a huge place on Broadway that seated like 2-300 people. I loved taking my family from Montana there not just for the weird food, but because sometimes you would be in there with 200 other people and there would be like 10 white people in the place and almost no one that you could speak English to. Sorry to hear that they closed. We did always skip the chicken feet though.

As far as variety meats go, I'm down with heart and tongue. I will eat liver to be polite but I would never order it. Brains and intestines I have to say no to. I might try chicken feet some time but from what I've heard they're just skin and gristle.
Yea i think everyone should say no to brains as a general health rule. Isn't that where mad cow comes from?

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I might try chicken feet some time but from what I've heard they're just skin and gristle.

Don't think of it like the tough gristle you'd get in a bad steak. Think of it as the connective tissue you find in 12 hour slow cooked pork. Aside from the 8000 ticktack sized bones in each one (my complaint about chicken feet), the rest is really soft and intensely flavored.

The couple of "best in PDX" Dim Sum places I've been to in town all have an overwhelming smell of Sterno; I assume to keep things hot in the carts. That puts a bit of a damper on the experience for me.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Cooked 10lbs of pork in crock pots today and have about half of it pulled right now. Am going to be torturing coworkers all week at lunch, LOL.

I had BBQ possum and racoon at a wedding + reception here in the river bottoms when I was a kid. Was super gamey. Objectively terrible.

My grandparents back in Indiana ate all kinds of foul stuff, like scrapple, brain and headcheese. I barely remember eating any of it or having a reaction to it. Think they used to mix brain into scrambled eggs for example.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My grandfather was a big fan of scrambled eggs and brains. Because of this when we butchered cows for beef he would try to shoot them without damaging the brains which led to at least one incident that I remember where a cow was running around a pasture blowing blood out of her nose and mouth with a bullet in her head but not in her brain. My dad was extremely unimpressed.

I was once tasked with feeding a package of brains that had spoiled to the dog. It's the closest I've ever come to actually vomiting due to just seeing/smelling something gross. The dog loved them though.