Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
bake sale,

noob at baking, found some tips from a recipe, tell me if legit

Baking is all about ratios and you have to find that perfect balance. Here are some of the most important things I have learned about baking cakes:

• Cake flour does make a difference in the tender crumb of the cake but you can substitute all-purpose flour.
  • High-quality cocoa powder can change the depth of chocolate flavor. I use Callebaut Cocoa (which I find in the bulk section at Winco).
  • Using both baking soda and baking powder gives it the best rise.
  • Buttermilk is a must because it gives it the melt-in-your-mouth texture.
  • Even though I am the biggest butter fan in the world, oil just works best in chocolate cakes (in my humble opinion). I have used both canola and coconut oils and both turn out beautifully. When I use melted coconut oil, there is surprisingly no coconut oil taste in the cake.
  • Yes, but she doesn't explain why so she probably doesn't know the reason. Cake flour has less protein, which can affect the structural integrity of the cake. Don't swap them unless you're sure the cake can withstand that.
  • Reads like bullshit.
  • Completely wrong. Whatever balances your recipe to a pH of 7 is what gives you the best rise.
  • That's not why you use buttermilk. It's an acidic component(see previous bullet) and it gives a sour twang to the recipe. It does nothing for texture unless your pH is so far off that you get brownies without it.
  • Oil can work better in chocolate cakes. That said, oil and butter are not interchangeable, they have different melting temperatures.

What stupid food blog did you get this off?

That said, with the proliferation of information these days, it's probably still a good recipe without the author knowing why she made certain choices.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • Yes, but she doesn't explain why so she probably doesn't know the reason. Cake flour has less protein, which can affect the structural integrity of the cake. Don't swap them unless you're sure the cake can withstand that.
  • Reads like bullshit.
  • Completely wrong. Whatever balances your recipe to a pH of 7 is what gives you the best rise.
  • That's not why you use buttermilk. It's an acidic component(see previous bullet) and it gives a sour twang to the recipe. It does nothing for texture unless your pH is so far off that you get brownies without it.
  • Oil can work better in chocolate cakes. That said, oil and butter are not interchangeable, they have different melting temperatures.

What stupid food blog did you get this off?

That said, with the proliferation of information these days, it's probably still a good recipe without the author knowing why she made certain choices.
Love at First Sight Chocolate Cake – Modern Honey

it had 500k shares is why it looked fine, maybe i'll youtube, or someones got something i can use?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Love at First Sight Chocolate Cake – Modern Honey

it had 500k shares is why it looked fine, maybe i'll youtube, or someones got something i can use?
Picture of blogger displayed at top AND in the middle of the recipe? That always sets off my suspicion because it means they care more about sharing their blog, not that the recipes are good.

But as I mentioned, chocolate cake is not new nor complicated. A self-aggrandizing blogger can still make a good chocolate cake, just don't expect it to be complicated or revolutionary. You can make that recipe and it will likely be just fine.

If you want to make a chocolate cake, my favorites are Dr. Pepper cake or german chocolate cake, both easily googleable. For the former, I use the Dinosaur BBQ's recipe. And for the former, the recipe in the german's brand chocolate works well. I'd advise against recipes that use buttercream AND pecan-coconut frosting for the latter, that's just too much frosting.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dr. Pepper cake

Not really related but a couple years ago one of my Mom's friends made some pulled pork for our shipping crew using Dr. Pepper and it was fucking horrible. I am now instantly biased against any recipe that calls for Dr. Pepper because of that.

I don't really like baking because you really have to follow recipes. I like to take a look at a few recipes but then mostly wing it and then refine with trial and error but that just doesn't work with baking. The only baking I do regularly is the NY Times no-knead bread recipe because that is the best method I have for getting my hands on some decent bread.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've had ham where Dr Pepper was used, was pretty darn good. I've seen other Dr Pepper recipes around but have never cooked/had them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not really related but a couple years ago one of my Mom's friends made some pulled pork for our shipping crew using Dr. Pepper and it was fucking horrible. I am now instantly biased against any recipe that calls for Dr. Pepper because of that.

I don't really like baking because you really have to follow recipes. I like to take a look at a few recipes but then mostly wing it and then refine with trial and error but that just doesn't work with baking. The only baking I do regularly is the NY Times no-knead bread recipe because that is the best method I have for getting my hands on some decent bread.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of soda and pulled pork.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have friends that rave about Dr. Pepper sauces but I hate Dr. Pepper, so count me out.

I imagine it tastes like rootbeer flavored bottle caps from back in the day.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Dr. Pepper is amazing with beef. Like a Dr. Pepper braised short rib. Delicious. It's not good with pork. But also, it's not as easy as just throwing half a bottle of Dr. Pepper in a pot and calling that a braising liquid.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The HEB (grocery store) here in Texas started cutting their pork chops at almost 3 inches thick. Four pounds was less than $8. But I fucked up cooking them in my usual way. I was a bit apprehensive at making these at 425F for 20 minutes so I went with 400 for 30 minutes.

The result was dry. Will not make this mistake again!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The HEB (grocery store) here in Texas started cutting their pork chops at almost 3 inches thick. Four pounds was less than $8. But I fucked up cooking them in my usual way. I was a bit apprehensive at making these at 425F for 20 minutes so I went with 400 for 30 minutes.

Home cooked pork tenderloin from the good ol HEButt is amazing. High heat seared on the grill for about twice the time of a ribeye, slice off the char, and you'll get something amazing. Cut it off the bone, it fucks things up and makes it taste weird (personal opinion of course). Keep it lathered in butter and you can not go wrong.

I hardly ever bake pork outside shake n bake (and I halped), usually half inch cuts. Not my favorite. But if you're baking, consider steaming, half fill the dish in water and cover, or wrap each piece in foil with a lather of butter.

Hekotat

Get a sousvide you pleb!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Last weekend we decided to do a prime vs choice comparison. After getting the ribeyes that I posted a couple weeks ago, I couldn't believe how expensive the prime cuts were(choice was 9.99/lb, prime was 17.99/lb). I had to try them side by side. We cooked them up the same way. 134f in the sous vide for a few hours, then grill/searzall to finish them. I will say that the prime was a bit more tender, but both tasted pretty much the same(fantastic). At almost double the cost, I'll never buy prime again.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
At HEB, you have to look at the cuts of meat between prime and choice. You can find a choice piece that's marbled like prime, but from my experience, most times the choice isn't half as marbled as the prime. If I'm slicing it up for fancy fajitas, I'll do choice no doubt. But if I'm spicing and buttering for my own plate, always prime.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Last weekend we decided to do a prime vs choice comparison. After getting the ribeyes that I posted a couple weeks ago, I couldn't believe how expensive the prime cuts were(choice was 9.99/lb, prime was 17.99/lb). I had to try them side by side. We cooked them up the same way. 134f in the sous vide for a few hours, then grill/searzall to finish them. I will say that the prime was a bit more tender, but both tasted pretty much the same(fantastic). At almost double the cost, I'll never buy prime again.

These days, I prefer a 1.5 to 2 inch thick select tenderloin steak over a choice ribeye. I've nailed the art of cooking those fuckers and they taste like pure beef. Best part is that I can get a whole select tenderloin for less than $9/lb. Even better is that Sam's Club has had something going on where they have been selling whole choice tenderloins for $10.48/lb.

If you would have told me 2 years ago that I would prefer tenderloin over ribeye I would have called you crazy, but I just can't be assed to deal with anything else these days.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
At HEB, you have to look at the cuts of meat between prime and choice. You can find a choice piece that's marbled like prime, but from my experience, most times the choice isn't half as marbled as the prime. If I'm slicing it up for fancy fajitas, I'll do choice no doubt. But if I'm spicing and buttering for my own plate, always prime.
The prime was definitely better/more evenly marbled. For double the price, though, you gotta' blow my socks off. Maybe Costco just has very good choice cuts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have one. I don't like it.
h3g0pks.gif

The prime was definitely better/more evenly marbled. For double the price, though, you gotta' blow my socks off. Maybe Costco just has very good choice cuts.
I think it's cuz you cheated w/ the sous vide, it gets the entire steak cooked proper, do it on a grill where you can't really control shit and prime will reign supreme w/ that even distribution of juicy fat

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

I actually don't like pork in the Sous Vide, it tastes fucked up even if I hella sear.