Gravy's Cooking Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I posted about these in the Fast Food thread but I think they're relevant here as well. Anyone ever eat these? I found them at a Nepalese/Indian grocer and they are amazing. Extremely spicy. I made a pizza and put only two of these on it and I could feel it. You can take one and dice it up and put it on a sandwich. They provide more than just heat too. The flavor is great. It's going to take forever to make it through this whole jar.

nepalese-red-cherry-peppers-jpg.165292

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I posted about these in the Fast Food thread but I think they're relevant here as well. Anyone ever eat these? I found them at a Nepalese/Indian grocer and they are amazing. Extremely spicy. I made a pizza and put only two of these on it and I could feel it. You can take one and dice it up and put it on a sandwich. They provide more than just heat too. The flavor is great. It's going to take forever to make it through this whole jar.

nepalese-red-cherry-peppers-jpg.165292
i usually don't fucks w/ indian grocers, of course asian is fine for me, and so is mexican, but i just stay away from indian. Even tho for some reason indian grocer is the only ethnic grocer within 50minutes of me (it's acually 10mins) and i just don't go, cuz theres nothing i can use.

since i also bought my dutch oven to bake breads in (now it's for soups and stocks)

i recently baked this

tasted great, just like a chinese bakery, except it didn't seem to rise enough

baking noob so,

atm i only have fleishmans active yeast and store bought unbleached flour

anyway to up my game? and why?

Last edited:

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
are you starting the yeast ahead of time in some warm (not hot) water?

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the TV chefs did some airtime on it, and with most modern yeasts, in most modern recipes; "proof"ing the yeast as a separate step makes no difference other than to make the cook feel better. And if you keep your yeast nicely wrapped and in the freezer, it'll last nearly indefinitely, reguardless of the listed expiration date.

I'm on like year 8 of working through a 1lb Lesaffre Saf-Instant Yeast block.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Got some nice, thick ribeyes at Costco and gave them a bath this weekend! They were delicious.

MVIMG_20180428_172506.jpg

IMG_20180428_190512.jpg

IMG_20180428_190704.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm really enjoying this Stubbs marinades, especially the one for Chicken. Put those in a bag then drop it in the Sous Vide for exquisite flavor.

I'm trying the pork one right now, I hope it turns out as good as the chicken.

1525028157360.png

1525028205245.png

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Have you guys tried the Trader Joe's Sriracha BBQ sauce? It's fantastic for chicken, beef, your wife's tits, or whatever you like to lick. Super cheap sauce that's super yum.

2jiVqSB.jpg

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i usually don't fucks w/ indian grocers, of course asian is fine for me, and so is mexican, but i just stay away from indian. Even tho for some reason indian grocer is the only ethnic grocer within 50minutes of me (it's acually 10mins) and i just don't go, cuz theres nothing i can use.

since i also bought my dutch oven to bake breads in (now it's for soups and stocks)

i recently baked this

tasted great, just like a chinese bakery, except it didn't seem to rise enough

baking noob so,

atm i only have fleishmans active yeast and store bought unbleached flour

anyway to up my game? and why?

Proofing bread can vary depending on a lot of things including your ambient temp, humidity, etc. Either add a touch more yeast or adjust your proofing times. Maybe even cut back on the preproofing process a little. If you preproof too much all the yeast can be used up, run out of sugar, etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just got a sous vide and love it but my searing game is fucking weak as shit with my bitch ass non stick pans. Let me know how that does.
Lodge L8SK3 10-1/4-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet

10in at 15bucks is mad cheap, if you have gigante steaks, you might want to pony up to the 12in for 10bucks more.

i know, you probably don't want to deal w/ more dishes, and i myself use a butane torch for chicken and otherstuff... but for your steak, treat it right.

and if you do get one, don't get the ones w/ the "grill marks", it's actually less surface area, and more annoying to clean.

You need a cast iron pan anyway, can you bum one off of a grandma or something?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I just got a sous vide and love it but my searing game is fucking weak as shit with my bitch ass non stick pans. Let me know how that does.
The searzall is awesome. I've used it a few times now and it works great. That said, I agree with Lanx that you should own a cast iron for cooking in general.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
An enameled dutch oven is a good way to start with cast iron if you're weary about the upkeep of a regular cast iron pan. I haven't actually felt the need to buy one yet, the dutch oven does everything I would want out of a cast iron pan.