Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You actually bought this thing? Seems like it wouldn't be a real efficient kind of device to me.

Much like the Hong Kong Automatic Cooking Machine (Stir Fry only though!). With my favorite HK youtube thot.

well, when i do buy bags of rice i'll get a 15lb bag, i pour a bit into a container and leave the bag on the floor. it'll serve as a container and dispenser, it's no different than when you buy bulk dog food, you pour it into a big 50lb capacity dog food container.

i wouldn't have minded getting that either for the rice, but it might've perturb'd guests. i mean when i grew up, we just put the rice in a big bucket with a lid.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
well, when i do buy bags of rice i'll get a 15lb bag, i pour a bit into a container and leave the bag on the floor. it'll serve as a container and dispenser, it's no different than when you buy bulk dog food, you pour it into a big 50lb capacity dog food container.

i wouldn't have minded getting that either for the rice, but it might've perturb'd guests. i mean when i grew up, we just put the rice in a big bucket with a lid.

Yeah that's what I do. I buy 15lbs of ultra premium short grain (best rice IMO) and put it in this. For all of you out there I recommend you take the ultra premium short grain rice challenge. It isn't overly expensive or anything and you can taste the difference in quality even if youre a dumb White ppl like me.

IMG_20190124_063359.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We try to stay away from carbs in my house. Shit like rice and potatoes, noodles...etc are nto even purchased anymore. We pretty much only eat meat and veggies, maybe once in a while some bread, or a wrap, maybe some beans.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We try to stay away from carbs in my house. Shit like rice and potatoes, noodles...etc are nto even purchased anymore. We pretty much only eat meat and veggies, maybe once in a while some bread, or a wrap, maybe some beans.
bitch, you just said you were polish, don't tell me you don't go not emergency potato around so you can make some kopytka

• 1Worf

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We usually buy the big 15 - 20 lb bag of rice and then I put it in a bunch of big-ass ziplocks. I need a better method. How much does that rice dispenser hold, Lanx Lanx

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We usually buy the big 15 - 20 lb bag of rice and then I put it in a bunch of big-ass ziplocks. I need a better method. How much does that rice dispenser hold, Lanx Lanx

Looks to hold about 57,684 individual rice grains. I think. What do I win if I guess the number right?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Avoiding carbs when I'm trying to lose weight? Ok. Avoiding carbs in general? That's no way to enjoy life. Everything in moderation, but I enjoy beer, rice, bread and pasta way too much to not basically always have them in my house.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ha
IMG_20190124_192855.jpg

2mm of clearance it's a perfect fit, I have no intention of putting it on my counter top, it's also bland looking(I know my backsplash is more uglier), but I might put it here, just b/c

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Ha
View attachment 191190
2mm of clearance it's a perfect fit, I have no intention of putting it on my counter top, it's also bland looking(I know my backsplash is more uglier), but I might put it here, just b/c
My cabinets are mounted slightly lower than standard, so I'm thinking that won't even fit on my counter.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah bro. Sorry but Oyster Sauce on Pork sounds gross to me. i don't think I've ever used it on meat.

I use it in my fried rice/stir fry's all the time, give it a shot. Besides, it's not like you'll be putting straight oyster sauce, you're subbing out the soy with the rest of the ingredients in that recipe.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
if you have an asian grocer get a carbon steel one.

Of course the most ideal is to have a jet burner where you're putting out 200k btu, of course you either have a dedicated wok burner or cook outside w/ what is basically the type you use for turkey frying.

if not that, round bottom, why? you want that swish swish motion, you wanna use the wok and mix in the air a lot of the time. (which is why you also want a carbon steel wok, cuz it's the lightest)

if you can only use a flat top, don't bother, at that point you're just sautee' the food, don't bother with a cast iron wok, youre just trying to retain the high and trying to cook at a higher temp, but no way can you flip that food w/ the power of Hulk.

Yeah I just have a gas range stove. I've just always liked the style of a wok - I like the steep sides and deeper volume.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I just have a gas range stove. I've just always liked the style of a wok - I like the steep sides and deeper volume.
in that case, i'd get a wok ring
824aff4068b73a61c0fdb577dccffab4.png

wok ring, take out a gas grate and put that over it, then get a round bottom wok
a0ef7fa6fdcf2679257b40a996e64c3b.png

Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Pow Wok with Wooden and Steel Helper Handle (14 Inch, Round Bottom) / 731W88

it has to be carbon steel, and 14in is huge w/ the round bottom. you want the helper handle in for pouring or shaking of heavy foods.

if you have an asian grocer it'd probably be 10bucks cheaper, do NOT get any type of coats or stuff.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've got a ton of Asian grocers around me (live two blocks from Chinatown), but I'm intimidated by almost all the stores. Nothing is in English. I only occasionally fuck with produce because I generally know what I'm buying in that case.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I wish I had a gas stove. Definitely a 'must have' in my next house.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've got a ton of Asian grocers around me (live two blocks from Chinatown), but I'm intimidated by almost all the stores. Nothing is in English. I only occasionally fuck with produce because I generally know what I'm buying in that case.
oh, you live in san fran right? just goto the wok shop
49f1f1b06784c2dd096667a6986f03da.png

5f2f036895e878f2d2d1342a07b32a31.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
about wok shop
when i went there, there was some white guy working there, so i just left, but they have stacks of legit stuff, just show em that post, i spoilered this so they don't read the gaijin bashing, heh.