Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I got a pretty nice set of chef knives a few years ago, and I use the sharpening steel to deburr them, but I actually need to get them sharpened. Should I take them to someone, use a whetstone, or do those electric sharpeners really work?

I've never sharpened a knife with a whetstone so I am a little leery of ruining my knives
seriously, but 5 $1 knives from the dollarstore or even walmart sells em cheap for 2bucks a knife.

these will be your practice knives.

first, what type of knives did you get? i'm gonna guess you got either french or german knives or basically a western knife, zwilling or something, with this, if you want to know, you're blade angles are going to be 20degrees, so 40degrees total (each side is 20).

What you'll def have and need, and will learn to do EVERYTIME is to have a steel/rod/hone

do this everytime you take out your knife and cook
anigif_sub-buzz-26751-1494010684-7.gif

you're not sharpening, youre not doing anything but ALIGNING

a knife, under a microscope actually looks like a saw with thousands of teeth, and everytime you use a knife, they get bent and look like a midwestern rednecks "nice" smile. So what you're honing/using the steel, you're just aligning those teeth to be straight, in a sense.

now... will those knife sharpening tools work? YES and NO.

What they have a bad reputation for is that they take off too much "metal" or shave too much off your blade, but your knife is sharp, they do this by using a cheap method/metal with carbide, it basically bites into your blade

something like this Chef’sChoice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives Diamond Abrasives Patented Sharpening System Made in USA, 3-Stage, Gray

It's a 3 stage sharpener that is angle guided at 20degrees, you just stick it in 1, and pull thats it.
1. uses diamonds to sharpen a coarse grind
2. uses diamonds to sharpen with a fine grind
3. uses a strop (leather) like a barber shop to get a nice micro bevel.

(again there are some electric sharpeners that have the metal grinding, that is not recommended).
(i buy these for idiot lazy friends)

Something electric with a little more control and adjustment? this Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener - precision sharpening guides, premium flexible abrasive belts, repeatable and consistent results, Frustration-Free Packaging i have this myself, one of the first of many i used, it's basically a mini belt sander, it works well, but i want more precision, thankfully it is still being used now, b/c it is fucking awesome at sharpening lawnmower blades.

if you want to get into whetstones but you want to be "super precise" they make rigs that you can use
Noa Store Knife Sharpener Professional Kitchen Sharpening System Fix-angle with 4 Stone III[/ur]
you'll always keep a nice angle, just maybe the wetstones are just ok, cuz you have them in a rig

I haven't even touched using real whetstones yet, b/c it is the most involved, most time consuming, and takes time to learn, if you're willing to go through all that, then we can go from there too.

However, i think as long as you clean your knives nicely, always use the steel/rod everytime and use a good electric sharpening when it starts to feel dull, you'll be doing better than 99% of all home cooks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use a steel rod, and I understand it isn't sharpening.

I have henckel knives. I don't know how they stack up, but I like them.

Thanks for the other info, I'll take a look into it all

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I use a steel rod, and I understand it isn't sharpening.

I have henckel knives. I don't know how they stack up, but I like them.

Thanks for the other info, I'll take a look into it all
it's henckel zwilling, heh,

most everyone i know has em, their logo is so recognizable
Logo_zwilling.jpg

and they have nice woodblocks, its either henckels or wusthof i see.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I posted this in the FSR, too, but I thought people here should buy it and burn it when you want people to think you went all out cooking a meal.

safe_image.php

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lanx Lanx

I went Chinese on my primary knife a while back. Mostly out of curiosity I bought a cheap Chinese style knife. I call it a light cleaver. But anyway, I've grown quite attached to it as it is extremely convenient to have a knife with a bit of weight to it compared to what I am familiar with. While also being much lighter than a Western butcher's cleaver... so now I want a higher quality one!

What should I get?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Dad like the Shun DM0712 Classic 7-Inch Chinese Vegetable Cleaver, but it's a 200$ knife, he's used to just grabbing a 10$ from chinatown it'd be ground down and he'd get another.

you'd probably do well with this shi ba zi cleaver, they make ALOT of knives, 9-inch Kitchen Knife Professional Chef Knife Stainless Steel Vegetable Knife Safe Non-stick Coating Blade with Anti-slip Wooden Handle it's also chinese steel, so it might be different than what you're used to.

Most of the knives you see in an asian grocer just hanging out are just stamped knives

i've seen a lot of these in chinese homes
ccbdc0fff99e3db684b2eabb96c3c511.png

dad had one for a long time too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dad like the Shun DM0712 Classic 7-Inch Chinese Vegetable Cleaver, but it's a 200$ knife, he's used to just grabbing a 10$ from chinatown it'd be ground down and he'd get another.

you'd probably do well with this shi ba zi cleaver, they make ALOT of knives, 9-inch Kitchen Knife Professional Chef Knife Stainless Steel Vegetable Knife Safe Non-stick Coating Blade with Anti-slip Wooden Handle it's also chinese steel, so it might be different than what you're used to.

Most of the knives you see in an asian grocer just hanging out are just stamped knives

i've seen a lot of these in chinese homes
ccbdc0fff99e3db684b2eabb96c3c511.png

dad had one for a long time too.

Hmmm. Okay, I have a winco one I got at the Korean Store. Maybe I'll just live with it for a few more years then.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Hmmm. Okay, I have a winco one I got at the Korean Store. Maybe I'll just live with it for a few more years then.
the stamped wincos are usually mid choppers to veggie slicers cuz of the weight, check out how much it weighs. Pure veggie cleavers will be under a pound probably around 3/4s, a lot of chinese food is julianne'd veggies.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
it's henckel zwilling, heh,

most everyone i know has em, their logo is so recognizable
Logo_zwilling.jpg

and they have nice woodblocks, its either henckels or wusthof i see.
Huh

My knives have the logo but just say Henckels, no zwilling. They're like 10 years old thouhh

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Made this today. God damn delicious. I've usually ignored the whole, "searing the flavor in" as that's a bunch of BS to me. But searing here has the added benefit of keeping the pork together after 45 minutes in the instant pot. I added the step of putting the pork on a cookie sheet, pulling it apart and spreading it across the whole sheet, and then putting it in the broiler on high for 5 minutes to get that nice bit of crisp on it.

The sauce it makes with the drippings is fantastic. Just add a small amount of corn starch until it reduces a little and its wonderful for all kinds of things too. You also get a ton of it.

Instant Pot Korean Inspired Pulled Pork | With Two Spoons

Just made this, good flavor and the sauce has a nice heat without turning your mouth into a nuclear wasteland. Another way I'll try to make the sauce thicker is sub the soy sauce for oyster sauce, which is thicker and has a stronger flavor than soy. Easy to make too, just throw everything in a bowl all at once and mix, no multi step prep work needed.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just made this, good flavor and the sauce has a nice heat without turning your mouth into a nuclear wasteland. Another way I'll try to make the sauce thicker is sub the soy sauce for oyster sauce, which is thicker and has a stronger flavor than soy. Easy to make too, just throw everything in a bowl all at once and mix, no multi step prep work needed.
the flavor profile of oyster sauce vs. soy sauce is like ranch vs. ketchup, just cuz they both black don't mean they're equal.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
the flavor profile of oyster sauce vs. soy sauce is like ranch vs. ketchup, just cuz they both black don't mean they're equal.
Thank you for the most midwestern way to describe those differences. I'm going to use that from now on.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah bro. Sorry but Oyster Sauce on Pork sounds gross to me. i don't think I've ever used it on meat.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oyster sauce plus bean and garlic paste, teaspoon full of sambal olelek add a bit of chicken broth and a bit of sugar to taste, makes the best brown thai sauce for stir fried chicken. (pad prik)

Its akin to fish sauce, an old way to add salt to dishes.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
finally time for me to get the most asian asiany thing

a rice holder w/ a dispenser
0700b1269ea78aa8d8dd02876e9d122b.png

I've upgraded my pantry w/ side shelves as i talked about in the home improvement thread, idk where i'll put it yet.

• 1Jonesing

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Recommendations on a good wok?
if you have an asian grocer get a carbon steel one.

Of course the most ideal is to have a jet burner where you're putting out 200k btu, of course you either have a dedicated wok burner or cook outside w/ what is basically the type you use for turkey frying.

if not that, round bottom, why? you want that swish swish motion, you wanna use the wok and mix in the air a lot of the time. (which is why you also want a carbon steel wok, cuz it's the lightest)

if you can only use a flat top, don't bother, at that point you're just sautee' the food, don't bother with a cast iron wok, youre just trying to retain the high and trying to cook at a higher temp, but no way can you flip that food w/ the power of Hulk.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
finally time for me to get the most asian asiany thing

a rice holder w/ a dispenser
0700b1269ea78aa8d8dd02876e9d122b.png

I've upgraded my pantry w/ side shelves as i talked about in the home improvement thread, idk where i'll put it yet.

You actually bought this thing? Seems like it wouldn't be a real efficient kind of device to me.

Much like the Hong Kong Automatic Cooking Machine (Stir Fry only though!). With my favorite HK youtube thot.