Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We are at a cottage, hanging out, so I didn't have my own well equipped kitchen while cooking Thanksgiving dinner, but I still managed a pretty decent meal. This year I did goose, and every time I do I wonder why anyone ever does turkey. It's the worst bird you can do. Goose, duck, or chicken is better.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made a 5 lb filet, brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes, and a quinoa salad. It was just my mom and me so didn't go HAM. Everything turned out great. Used the air fryer for the brussel sprouts and I'll definitely do that again. Nice and crispy.

My mom even uttered the phrase "you're a much better cook than me".

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We are at a cottage, hanging out, so I didn't have my own well equipped kitchen while cooking Thanksgiving dinner, but I still managed a pretty decent meal. This year I did goose, and every time I do I wonder why anyone ever does turkey. It's the worst bird you can do. Goose, duck, or chicken is better.

I was walking through a local grocer and saw some geese next to the Turkeys and thought about picking one up. But goddamn are they expensive. I've never actually had goose so I wasn't willing to drop $54 on one. I didn't even look at how much it weighed after I saw the price tag.

One of these days I'm gonna buy a goose and try it though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
My turkey was awesome. Slow roasted, just the basics. As tender and juicy as brisket. I'm convinced somebody's cooking turkey wrong if they don't like turkey, cause every year I go damn, why do we only eat this once a year?

Khane

Says Turkey is amazing. Compares it to another meat almost everyone cooks wrong and turns out shitty.

• 1Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
This year I did goose, and every time I do I wonder why anyone ever does turkey. It's the worst bird you can do. Goose, duck, or chicken is better.
No one wants to raise geese. They're a PITA

1575056451931.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
12lb turkey just wife and me, 1 day brine, i'd say 10% saltier than i'd want it (cuz i ran out of kosher salt and tried to make iodized salt)

i mean it was still juicy and yummy, same as always followed alton brown recipe w/ tin foil boob protector

this time i changed it up a bit, i started with 500 boob side down, cuz i really wanted to sear and roast the skin, i didn't do vegs on bottom and used a rack. then turned it over for the boob side up browning. of course i knew there would be marks and indentations from the wire rack transferred to the boob, but that faded away after a while.

i was contemplating injecting the bird or not, decided not to, probably for the best.

then just lumpy mashed and corn bread pudding.

i have no idea why you white ppl love your cranberry sauce tho, jesus christ, and i've only ever had good green bean cassarole once and that was cuz a short super fat white lady brought it in, so i knew that was gonna be good at least.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I was walking through a local grocer and saw some geese next to the Turkeys and thought about picking one up. But goddamn are they expensive. I've never actually had goose so I wasn't willing to drop $54 on one. I didn't even look at how much it weighed after I saw the price tag.

One of these days I'm gonna buy a goose and try it though.

I have a friend who raises geese, so I get it really fresh and he never wants more than $20 for it, regardless of how big it is. This one was huge. The big thing about preparing a goose is to make sure you have a roaster with a wire rack, so the goose doesn't sit in its own grease while it cooks. The goose lets a lot of fat out while cooking, but it's not greasy to eat. And the nice part of that is I now have about a quart of goose fat in a container in the freezer, and using goose fat to make roasted potatoes, or on whatever veg you want is amazing.

Khane

Is it just that water fowl are tastier than any other bird? Duck I know is delicious. Goose I've heard nothing but good things about. And I've heard that certain types of crane are the best bird eating there is. Sandhill Crane maybe?

My aunt and uncle lived down in Texas for about 10 years and ranted and raved about some type of Crane.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are Shun knives any good?

On sale and they have a plant in the Portland area very close to me where they do free sharpening if I ever needed it.

I grew up with Cutco knives at home and those too would always be sent off yearly by my Mom for free sharpening and refinish on the handle if necessary.

I want to commit to a certain brand of knife and start building a kitchen collection.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

On sale and they have a plant in the Portland area very close to me where they do free sharpening if I ever needed it.

I grew up with Cutco knives at home and those too would always be sent off yearly by my Mom for free sharpening and refinish on the handle if necessary.

I want to commit to a certain brand of knife and start building a kitchen collection.
yes, i give em to good friends and family as gifts, they are "hard" cuz of vg10 steel, which is great, holds edge longer, just don't ever drop it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
yes, i give em to good friends and family as gifts, they are "hard" cuz of vg10 steel, which is great, holds edge longer, just don't ever drop it.
Ahh so have to go with their vg10 steel. The one linked is the a10u stainless steel I guess.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

*edit

looking over that the "kanso" line actually uses AUS10 steel, i'm not familiar with that, i've only used their knives with vg10 or vgmax

like these

Shun Premier Chef Knife, 6 Inch; Nimble, Lightweight Performance and Control, Use For Slicing, Dicing & Chopping, Handcrafted In Japan

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ahh so have to go with their vg10 steel. The one linked is the a10u stainless steel I guess.
i mean, i'm sure it's good, probably like the "sora" line, the sora is the budget line that uses vg10 and non wood handles, then the classic/premiere uses vgmax and pakkawood handles

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Aight yall I need some guidance. I'm wanting to make my annual beef n ale stew but I'd like to use the instant pot to save on time. Anyone have any tips for such an endeavor?

Recipe in question, sorry for the Dailymotion link, all I could find.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>

I have had their premier chef, pairing and bread knife and love them. Have had the chef knife for probably over 10 years and it is still my favorite go to. Usually hone it once a week on a normal week and sharpen every couple years.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Says Turkey is amazing. Compares it to another meat almost everyone cooks wrong and turns out shitty.
Ive only had brisket in TX. Ergo I've only had amazing, melt on your mouth, falls apart when you look at it delicious brisket

Like my turkey

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've never had a turkey where I thought it was better than a chicken. It's a bigger, harder to cook/handle, less tasty chicken.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users