Gravy's Cooking Thread

Kiki

Log Wizard
I've been doing pizza for my meal prep. Make some sourdough basil with bread flour, split into 5 portions, pre-cook crust to 80%. Then add toppings and freeze. I either make my own marinara, or my own spicy olive oil. Go to work, put in fridge, then in toaster oven at lunch. Bam, amazing pizza for super cheap. I mean we are talking 5 pizzas for ~$6.

Dough really doesn't take that long, I use a stand mixer with dough hook, can whip it up in 5 minutes. Longest part is letting it rise for an hour.

This is one of my first ones, crust was a little over cooked. I dialed it back and it's up to dominos texture now and is so good with the infused olive oil.

1579809845472.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ok finished up a batch of pizza dough letting it poof in the fridge, should be ready by sunday (when the pizza oven comes)

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been doing pizza for my meal prep. Make some sourdough basil with bread flour, split into 5 portions, pre-cook crust to 80%. Then add toppings and freeze. I either make my own marinara, or my own spicy olive oil. Go to work, put in fridge, then in toaster oven at lunch. Bam, amazing pizza for super cheap. I mean we are talking 5 pizzas for ~$6.

Dough really doesn't take that long, I use a stand mixer with dough hook, can whip it up in 5 minutes. Longest part is letting it rise for an hour.

This is one of my first ones, crust was a little over cooked. I dialed it back and it's up to dominos texture now and is so good with the infused olive oil.

View attachment 245132

If you don't need the prebake for lunches, such as wanting to do dinners instead, you can use a no kneed crust and let it hang out in the fridge up to 7 days as you just pull portions off the main mass.

IMG_9721.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If you don't need the prebake for lunches, such as wanting to do dinners instead, you can use a no kneed crust and let it hang out in the fridge up to 7 days as you just pull portions off the main mass.

IMG_9721.jpg

That's just crust with some pizza dip on it.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The pizza dinner went well, about 4 pies were eaten. The pesto, caramelized onion, mushroom pizza was the favorite of the night by everyone except me. My twist on the Margarita remains my favorite. Also the fennel, apple, radish salad is one of my new favorite things.

I didn't get pictures of the pizzas from that night, but here is a trial run of the pesto one I made for my wife the night before. In this picture I par-cooked the mushrooms and onions too much before hand, this mistake was corrected the next night.
pesto-pizza.jpg

I would love to buy an Ooni, but I honestly get great results with just the steel and a hot oven so I can't justify the price and storage requirements. I would probably buy one if I was catering or something and really needed to crank them out at speed. The dough is an 79% (75% water, 4% olive oil) sourdough with a 2 1/2 day cold rise.

These pizzas are not impressing boys. Come on now...

Does this meet your approval o'circular one? ;)

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm just fucking with you, I tend to like a little bit of burnt on my pizza crust

I prefer Neapolitan style pizzas myself. In my opinion pizza is primarily a bread dish and the crust is the most important part, and I can definitely taste the caramelized sugars in the dough when the bubbly bits crisp up like that.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Honestly when I make pies I do them at 425F on a perforated pizza sheet, kind of looks like mesh, I think made from aluminum. Only place I found them locally was GFS stores, but amazon (of course) has them... Ive tried all kinds of other shit and this is by far the best that I have found. At the end I put it on broil for just a few minutes to sear the top.

Anyway, it makes the perfect pie. Nice (not burned or charred) crust on the bottom, and perfect crust all around. Kind of like any pizza you get from the local mom and pop delivery places, except better because its a bit more crisp. which makes sense because the pizza places Ive worked at when I was a teen had their conveyor type ovens set at 450, but they were heating from both top and bottom, this is why I turn on the broil for a few min in my oven.

I was debating on getting a pizza steel for the oven, but honestly after reading about it seems like a waste of energy and time. They want you to preheat that mo-fo at 500F for liek a hour. Fuck that noise. Ill continue making pies like I make them which is good enough and everyone loves them.

Ive tried the old 600F-700F thing in my komodo on a stone a few times and its overrated, usually comes out too burnt for my tastes and this is even after only being on there 3 min, lol.

Like I said before I used to make my own dough but now that I found the italian place that sells it fresh in bags for $1.75 a pop, why even bother. shtis good as fuck for pizzas, calzones, and I even made bread sticks with the shit before.

Another pro tip I will share is from the bread making stuff I read. In order to get a crispy thin crust on your dough you need steam in the oven for the first few min. There is some sort of reaction that happens and it makes the crisp crust on bread (and pizza) What I do is jsut take like a 1/4 cup of water and just splash it on the bottom of my oven, then quickly close door.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't want to be the cooking thread poo flinger but... that pizza does not look appetizing at all.

Yeah my wife and kids would def not eat that, although I would probably like it.

Edit:
Here is a shot of my spinach pie pizza. Although it does not show the crust clearly you can sort of see the crispy thin brown layer underneath.
20180324_141313.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And spinach pie pizza...

For the filling.. Thaw and drain then tightly squeeze out all the water from frozen cut spinach pack...

Saute small onion then add minced garlic and fresh (if you have it) dill, if not you can use dried dill but you need to use more. Then add the spinach and sautee for a wile. alt pepper to taste.

Then add a cube of feta cheese cut into little cubes and continue to saute for a few min. Then at the end squeeze in like 1/2 lemon into it.

For the pizza I use a layer of good alfrado sauce for the base, put the filling ontop, sprinkle with some mozza, and add tomato slices.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Bread flour definitely makes it crispier, so that's what I use. I'll try that steam thing. Next week will be experimenting with toppings. Has anyone made their own mozzarella?

I'm thinking about getting a convection oven for home now, the one we use at work is pretty nice.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I don't want to be the cooking thread poo flinger but... that pizza does not look appetizing at all.

Yeah my wife and kids would def not eat that, although I would probably like it.

Edit:
Here is a shot of my spinach pie pizza. Although it does not show the crust clearly you can sort of see the crispy thin brown layer underneath.

Your families' are probably used to American style pizza where the bread isn't highlighted and therefore downplayed in the dish. For example, your spinach pizza looks good, but it has absolutely no cornicione, which is an indication of a more cracker-like dough. Some people prefer that I suppose, but I like I said before I consider pizza a bread dish where that kind of crust just can't compare to an airy, chewy, flavorful Neapolitan style one. At this point I am pretty spoiled it.

I started off making bread before pizza, and my pizza dough recipe is adapted from my sourdough, so I am also biased in that direction as well.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Honestly I dialed it in a bit more since that picture. That picture is a few years old and only one on phone I had. I dont usually take pictures of food, even though I want to but always forget, lol.

About the preference thing, yeah, toeach their own. Like I said my kids and wife would not like the burnt shit on the dough you had in your pictures.