Gravy's Cooking Thread

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm guessing 50 years ago cottage cheese was available in your typical grocery store and ricotta wasn't. There will always be people who keep liking stuff as they ate it as a kid. I haven't seen lasagna with cottage cheese since I was a kid but i bet in a blind taste test it wouldn't be that different.
Yeah, I think people forget what grocery stores used to be like. Especially in a small town.

Likewise haven't seen it since childhood, I always assumed it was an old-school poor people thing rather than a deliberate decision.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Same. It's a lot to do with texture and smell. Like, onion rings are awesome. But just cooking onions down and incorporating into a meal? Yeah no thank you. Replacing the onions in that same meal with onion powder and some garlic? Works for me. Taste is so weird.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, onion is like THE aromatic thats in pretty much 90% savory dish ever contrived. In pretty much all cultures too. You guys are a bunch of weirdos with your 10 yr old hate of onions.

Shit the worst, I remember my mom giving me some onion syrup back in Poland when I was a kid, it was supposed to be a cough medicine. It was literally onions macerated in sugar. Talk about nasty shit, I still have nightmares.

Or that one time some dude bet me to bite into a raw onion like an apple back when I was a teen working for A&W. So I bit into it, swallowed but my mouth was fucked with onion taste for the enitire day. Then you got the onion burps on top of it. Ugggh. Not worth the $20 I scored.

But that onion syrup was fucking nasty. I bet they could use that as a torture device, for reals.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
LOL, onion is like THE aromatic thats in pretty much 90% savory dish ever contrived. In pretty much all cultures too. You guys are a bunch of weirdos with your 10 yr old hate of onions.

I agree with this. You have to be eating onions all the time without knowing it if you actually eat out. It's got to be a psychological remnant of childhood because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah that's why I think it's a texture thing. If I eat a sauce that has been cooked with onions, 90% of the time it's fine and tasty. If I bite into an onion while eating fajitas, that bite is over, tapping out.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's texture for me. I've forced myself to eat onions in meals and it's like some mental block

"GOD I THINK I JUST BIT INTO ONE"

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always wonder if the limited amount of foods my mom could cook attributed to my shitty palate (not counting my faggot super tasting)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think I mentioned here before, my dad didn't cook well. Like, people were joking here about boiling hot dogs, that's how he cooked hot dogs my entire childhood. I never ate a fresh vegetable, ever, he only used canned shit so I hated virtually all vegetables because of that. Not knocking him, whatever, single dads got it rough and he worked a lot etc, and also I think it was how he was raised. After leaving home I started eating other stuff and learned to cook and mostly got over all that, except the onion thing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
TIL me and chaos are the same person

lets see

how do you feel viewing this?
tenor.gif

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In a good french onion soup there is no more onions left or the ones left have absolutely no texture to them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've never had the crying onion issue.

i love halving onions

i love slicing them thin, theres this almost (in a gay kind of way) "zen" like sound you hear and you can feel through your blade when you slice through 9 layers of onion and break all those cell walls...

and then that moment when you're carmalizing onions and the pungent odor turns sweet...

otherwise i hate onions, fuck that and i go through 2lbs of onions a week (just buy that easy 2lb bag) with soups and stock and whatever.

• 1Like