Gravy's Cooking Thread

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
@Soygen

It's once again time for Big Ern's Cooking Thread Roulette!

Am I posting garbage? Am I posting something worthwhile? WHO KNOWS?!?

On the up side, there's no cottage cheese in *THIS* lasagna!

Im disgusted, but interested. Best line is "I cant wait to wake up tomorrow with Diabetes!"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Wife and myself's anniversary was the other day, and I always make a seafood pasta, first meal I ever made when we started dating. Ended up turning into a surf and turf with a piece of Waygu inside skirt steak. Grilled all of the shrimp and scallop, too, with herbs, wine, and butter. Was extremely happy with how everything turned out, but the steak really ended up being the star of the show. That cut really had a good beefy and buttery taste, but I guess that's skirt steak and one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Bonus was it was infinitely cheaper to make something like this at home versus going out to a goddamn restaurant.

IMG_20221102_210444217.jpg
IMG_20221102_212048190_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221102_212623901_HDR.jpg

• 6Like
  • 5Quality Calories
Reactions: 10 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Looks good 👍. Flank/skirt steak is right below ribeye for me. My mom uses it for stir fry and it drives me nuts.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Looks good 👍. Flank/skirt steak is right below ribeye for me. My mom uses it for stir fry and it drives me nuts.
Yeah, ribeye is my favorite if I just want a steak, but I really enjoy some of the different cuts out there normally used for things like fajitas and what have you, and if you treat them like a regular steak, the difference in flavor depending upon that muscle really is surprising at times. I used to buy flat iron steaks constantly when I was over on the east coast. I could never find skirt and it was a cheap easy alternative if I was doing fajitas or something along the lines of when you cook a flank steak. Very tender and that good almost mineral taste.

They shot up in price though and I can really find them now. Hanger steaks are great too, but those seem even more rare. If you can find fraldhina, Brazilian bottom sirloin, that's up there with my favorites. I think sometimes that inside skirt is the same cut and I think that's what we got the other day, but it's hit or miss when you're buying stuff from a larger grocery store whether they've mislabeled it. As much as I like pichana, fraldhina is usually my favorite if I get the nice treat of going to a Brazilian steakhouse and having the wife wheel me out afterwards.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Wife and myself's anniversary was the other day, and I always make a seafood pasta, first meal I ever made when we started dating. Ended up turning into a surf and turf with a piece of Waygu inside skirt steak. Grilled all of the shrimp and scallop, too, with herbs, wine, and butter. Was extremely happy with how everything turned out, but the steak really ended up being the star of the show. That cut really had a good beefy and buttery taste, but I guess that's skirt steak and one of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Bonus was it was infinitely cheaper to make something like this at home versus going out to a goddamn restaurant.

View attachment 441573View attachment 441574
View attachment 441575
This might make me a little gay for the cook, NGL

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i deli slice my ribeyes
81BFjY_algS._AC_SL1500.jpg

(tho i'm getting tired of cleaning the machine so i've been semi freezing the steakk and manually slicing)
Are you making Philly's or some kind of wok concoction?

That just seems like a lot of work to maintain that type of equipment. I use the freezer & sharp knife method. I don't use ribeyes or any steak thin sliced that way often enough to warrant buying a deli slicer. I mean I guess if you bought cheap chicken or turkeys or something like that and just did a simple roast to make sandwich meat all the time it's probably be worth it, especially if you were feeding a larger family.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd like to have one for making jerky. I've always said that if I ever get the hang of making good jerky I'll start shooting a deer every year to make it out of.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Kroger now sells shaved ribeye packages which are great for phillies. I use like 1/2 shaved ribeye and 1/2 the most bloody shaved roast beef from deli section I can find. Fry all that shit up with onion and bit of peppers top with munster served on big ass italian rolls its like the best Phillies ever. The kids literally FIGHT over that shit.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you making Philly's or some kind of wok concoction?

That just seems like a lot of work to maintain that type of equipment. I use the freezer & sharp knife method. I don't use ribeyes or any steak thin sliced that way often enough to warrant buying a deli slicer. I mean I guess if you bought cheap chicken or turkeys or something like that and just did a simple roast to make sandwich meat all the time it's probably be worth it, especially if you were feeding a larger family.
jap concoction
e15dfa9325cf29239a44fc92f53f6c21.png

it's a little bit more korean tbh, i always have korean dashi in the fridge, japanese dashi not so much (once in a while if i'm making miso).

but yea it's a bit annoying w/ the cleanup, cuz one thing you don't know is that once you slice semi frozen meat, it instantly thaws cuz of the heat produced by the blade and bits of meat just finds its way into the nooks, so yea thats why i've just taken to manually slicing again.(probably gonna put it away, haven't used it since i moved here)

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
jap concoction
e15dfa9325cf29239a44fc92f53f6c21.png

it's a little bit more korean tbh, i always have korean dashi in the fridge, japanese dashi not so much (once in a while if i'm making miso).

but yea it's a bit annoying w/ the cleanup, cuz one thing you don't know is that once you slice semi frozen meat, it instantly thaws cuz of the heat produced by the blade and bits of meat just finds its way into the nooks, so yea thats why i've just taken to manually slicing again.(probably gonna put it away, haven't used it since i moved here)
I think that's going on the list for future meals. I got a few older steaks in the freezer that I need to use up, and I think that's a prime candidate.

Thanks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think that's going on the list for future meals. I got a few older steaks in the freezer that I need to use up, and I think that's a prime candidate.

Thanks.
yea i gave the link for justonecookbook too, i find her to be comprehensive for jap meals, the only asiany ingredients would be for making the dashi and you can find bonito flakes and dried kelp on amazon if you need to.

• 1Solidarity

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
a buddy of mine wanted a replacement slicer since ?he apparently slices a shitton of things? and his old one didn't survive moving into his new place. I found one that look almost 100% like your photo at Good Will and picked it up for him for a fiver. of course had to test it before giving it to him. Motor/blade speed was a bit sad but it got the job done. It was nice taking a 20lb ham down to breakfast slices and then freezing 2 week portions of them. Just not the type of thing I want to do via knife skills alone.

There was a propensity to get hamjuice and hambits all up in places it shouldn't go though, so that seems to be par for the machine design.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
a buddy of mine wanted a replacement slicer since ?he apparently slices a shitton of things? and his old one didn't survive moving into his new place. I found one that look almost 100% like your photo at Good Will and picked it up for him for a fiver. of course had to test it before giving it to him. Motor/blade speed was a bit sad but it got the job done. It was nice taking a 20lb ham down to breakfast slices and then freezing 2 week portions of them. Just not the type of thing I want to do via knife skills alone.

There was a propensity to get hamjuice and hambits all up in places it shouldn't go though, so that seems to be par for the machine design.
Yeah those things are nice since you can just slice your own much healthier lunch meat you make yourself, like Baked turkey breast for example without no BS added in there like sulphites and all kinds of shit they add to meat like that. But if I did get one I would get a pro model like this one...

1667776434726.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah those things are nice since you can just slice your own much healthier lunch meat you make yourself, like Baked turkey breast for example without no BS added in there like sulphites and all kinds of shit they add to meat like that. But if I did get one I would get a pro model like this one...

View attachment 441609
Depending on where you go - you can get the meat a hell of a lot cheaper too. I just have no idea where the hell I would put the damn slicer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah thats the problem with all these dumb kitchen devices. I have a whole shelf of shit downstairs in the basement filled with crap I dont use, or rarely use from time to time.