Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah just pan sear and a ripping hot pan. Or throw them on a gas grill. There's a great looking steaks though. I wish I could find bone-in ribeyes that didn't have any of the meat from the rib trimmed off from the bone. They really remind me of some pork steaks you can get occasionally.

I'm sure whatever you end up doing they're going to be delicious. Lucky bastard.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
aromatics, like the 5 year old Italian seasoning at the back of my cupboard? I might be one step below people who wash their chicken in dawn
If you got a head of garlic a bulb or two and if you've got any fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary or something that's all I'm talking about. Just get a good neutral oil in the pan, put your steaks in when the oil is heated , and flip a few times when you start building a crust.

Toss in those aromatics then, tilt the pan up and just keep basting but also continue to flip. Move them around the pan to get the good hot spots. The more you flip it the more even Browning you'll get and the less grade band you'll make around the edge of the steak.

If you don't have that then just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper and that'll be enough. If you have some sort of particular pre-made spice blend you enjoy just use it.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah just pan sear and a ripping hot pan. Or throw them on a gas grill. There's a great looking steaks though. I wish I could find bone-in ribeyes that didn't have any of the meat from the rib trimmed off from the bone. They really remind me of some pork steaks you can get occasionally.

I'm sure whatever you end up doing they're going to be delicious. Lucky bastard.
I wonder which one of the cows in my neighbors yard it was. Just need to trade beef for a cool or hire a bang maid. But not sure how a Ukrainian can cook.

When it's done do I let it rest or whatever or tear in

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I wonder which one of the cows in my neighbors yard it was. Just need to trade beef for a cool or hire a bang maid. But not sure how a Ukrainian can cook.

When it's done do I let it rest or whatever or tear in
Let it rest for 4 or 5 minutes, check what I posted I edited it and added some other stuff.

Sorry was thinking out loud.

Sludig

If you got a head of garlic a bulb or two and if you've got any fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary or something that's all I'm talking about. Just get a good neutral oil in the pan, put your steaks in when the oil is heated , and flip a few times when you start building a crust.

Toss in those aromatics then, tilt the pan up and just keep basting but also continue to flip. Move them around the pan to get the good hot spots. The more you flip it the more even Browning you'll get and the less grade band you'll make around the edge of the steak.

If you don't have that then just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper and that'll be enough. If you have some sort of particular pre-made spice blend you enjoy just use it.
I always get confused on when to add say garlic and the pre-made, some I've burned, but others don't sink in and are almost crunchy if adding last minute.

Grew our own garlic and onions this year

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I always get confused on when to add say garlic and the pre-made, some I've burned, but others don't sink in and are almost crunchy if adding last minute.

Grew our own garlic and onions this year
Yeah when you had garlic just have a bulb with it maybe smash it with a flat edge of a knife but don't mince it up. You keep it essentially whole.

Sludig

Yeah when you had garlic just have a bulb with it maybe smash it with a flat edge of a knife but don't mince it up. You keep it essentially whole.
20231025_194142.jpg

imma gonna over cook it

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Like it fairly rare, ended up with the barest hint of pink in center. oh well no salmonella/e coli

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
He's right, and something I failed to mention. Think I was talking about pan sauces when it came to butter.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Like it fairly rare, ended up with the barest hint of pink in center. oh well no salmonella/e coli
It's easy to screw up. That's why cast iron is a bit better than running non-stick. You can get a hell of a lot more heat retention. It's a much tougher with a thinner steak because that immediate threshold of jumping from medium rare to medium to well done is pretty quick, and then you have to account for carry over temp when resting.

It looked good though, and hopefully it was still tasty. Practice makes perfect. Got a big side of beef try other cuts. I'll have to dredge up a good video or something. I don't do pan sear very often because I like my current gas grill or the slow and sear on my Weber kettle. I normally do the reverse your technique and make certain I've got thicker steaks. If I have a nice 2-in steak bone in, to me that's the easiest and most perfect cut to cook with the least amount of potential to screw it up as long as you monitor your temps. Other cuts and specifically their cuts can become much more challenging, and at that point it's all about super hot temps and doing it hard and fast.

But for doing it for a down and dirty steak without access to a grill cast iron still the way to go.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It's easy to screw up. That's why cast iron is a bit better than running non-stick. You can get a hell of a lot more heat retention. It's a much tougher with a thinner steak because that immediate threshold of jumping from medium rare to medium to well done is pretty quick, and then you have to account for carry over temp when resting.

It looked good though, and hopefully it was still tasty. Practice makes perfect. Got a big side of beef try other cuts. I'll have to dredge up a good video or something. I don't do pan sear very often because I like my current gas grill or the slow and sear on my Weber kettle. I normally do the reverse your technique and make certain I've got thicker steaks. If I have a nice 2-in steak bone in, to me that's the easiest and most perfect cut to cook with the least amount of potential to screw it up as long as you monitor your temps. Other cuts and specifically their cuts can become much more challenging, and at that point it's all about super hot temps and doing it hard and fast.

But for doing it for a down and dirty steak without access to a grill cast iron still the way to go.
I will also add to make sure you have enough oil in the pan and that the oil is nice and hot before dropping the steak in. If the oil isn't as hot as the pan you can end up steaming the steak instead of a good crusty sear.

• 1Truth!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I will also add to make sure you have enough oil in the pan and that the oil is nice and hot before dropping the steak in. If the oil isn't as hot as the pan you can end up steaming the steak instead of a good crusty sear.
Yep you need a lot of fat sitting in there to make it work. You're basically shallow frying the steak. You don't need as much oil if you've got a really well seasoned cast iron pan, but it never hurts to have more. Just a lot of it depends upon how fatty the cut you're cooking is. You're going to need a decent amount of oil if you're trying to do a filet or sirloin, but an untrimmed fatty ribeye, may not need as much.

It's like bacon. Get nice browned bacon because it's such a fatty cut of meat without having to add any oil to the pan whatsoever as long as it's essentially non-stick via a coating or a well seasoned pan. Treat a steak the same way based on how fatty it is.

Can always seer a steak in a pan with a bunch of bacon grease though. Duck fats even better . 😉

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sludig

See I wasn't sure about bacon grease smoke point etc. Have a lot of that.

No cast iron, we had one, liked to get surface rust despite wiping it down and slight oil. Wife though is picky and would wash it behind my back and like tonights steak picks out bits and pieces and avoids any fat or any little bits of other tissue.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
See I wasn't sure about bacon grease smoke point etc. Have a lot of that.

No cast iron, we had one, liked to get surface rust despite wiping it down and slight oil. Wife though is picky and would wash it behind my back and like tonights steak picks out bits and pieces and avoids any fat or any little bits of other tissue.
Bacon grease I think is a relatively low smoke point. You normally just add a little bit with some neutral oil to put some flavor with something like canola / vegetable. Same thing with butter, just use them for a bit of additional flavor. Frying potatoes with bacon grease that it was perfectly fine.

I don't remember the smoke point, but I think duck is much higher. Used to be a place in Charleston that did duck fat wings and fries, The tattooed moose. Wings were some of the best I've ever had and you always ordered them dry and just ask for the sauce on the side that way they stayed crispy while you were sitting there enjoying your beer with your buddies. They were huge wings and very very crispy. I don't think you can do the same thing with bacon grease.

Sludig

Bacon grease I think is a relatively low smoke point. You normally just add a little bit with some neutral oil to put some flavor with something like canola / vegetable. Same thing with butter, just use them for a bit of additional flavor. Frying potatoes with bacon grease that it was perfectly fine.

I don't remember the smoke point, but I think duck is much higher. Used to be a place in Charleston that did duck fat wings and fries, The tattooed moose. Wings were some of the best I've ever had and you always ordered them dry and just ask for the sauce on the side that way they stayed crispy while you were sitting there enjoying your beer with your buddies. They were huge wings and very very crispy. I don't think you can do the same thing with bacon grease.
Usually mash or bake (like reds with oil and seasoning or yknow typical spud) I'd like to get into frying potatoes especially if I can get some crisp on the outside. I remember spending over an hour as a kid making my version of hash browns, they'd cook and cook but never crisp until sitting in the skillet for damn forever, though I think i was using way too much butter etc. Tasty, but aint nobody got time for that.

Truly, wife needs to get her big career improvement, she is happy to have me part time for fun money and be farm/house bitch, I suppose if I get ahead of the curve I'd be able to really focus on cooking rather than being something I just want over and done in 15 minutes.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't like doing steaks in my cast iron. The high straight sides aren't t ideal and gets prone to retaining too much moisture and starting to steam. And my best cast iron is only ten inches. Got a 12 inch pizza comal on the way with no sides I might try for steaks. Only downside is more splatter since no sides.

12 inch all clad stainless steel with avocado oil is my go too. Even still, two steaks like that will crowd the pan.

Avocado oil has a high smoke point and little flavor. We do everything with it from baking to mayonnaise to frying to seering with avocado oil. It's just too good. Expensive though. Canola isn't allowed in the house anymore. Still ise olive oil for some breads but I don't like the flavor for most things.

Bacon grease or butter for second stage basting if you're doing that style of steak cooking, but will scorch if trying to seer with it.

Rather butter go toward sauteeing, so rarely baste or top steaks with it. And if I'm doing veggies I want big chunks of mushroom. I mean like I'll just quarter medium mushrooms then seer them too in the steak pan and then like them more than the steak half the time. hah mushrooms are almost always my favorite part of a dish if they're included.

Salt before seering. Pepper after during resting. Sometimes light dusting of cumin, but that might be abnormal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users