Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My brother made fresh habanero chili and wiped his forehead since he was sweating in the kitchen. Fucker looked like a lobster for the rest of the day.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That's pretty much what I do, other than a powder butter or a tablespoon of bacon grease to add flavoring to other fats. I will do duck fat with quartered up Yukon golds or red potatoes roasted in the oven, but I haven't bought a tub of that in a while. I do find I get a little bit crispier results I'm a flavors just great.

But it's either Evoo or a neutral oil with a higher smoking point.
EVOO or avocado here, and lately have been adding butter at the end to round out flavor. Typically with non-protein dishes.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Looking for some Bacon Insight.

I'm just getting into bacon this year. Always liked it fine but never paid much attention to it. This year though I've suddenly got this thing for bacon. Maybe I need more salt, IDK. Noticed I've been fixing it a lot though.

Have 3 different brands in the freezer: Smithfield, Hatfield, and Oscar Meyer. I've had OM (it's okay) and Hatfield (considerably better), haven't tried Smithfield yet though. It'll be the next one.

Any particular brands that jump out as being top-shelf bacon that I might want to try?

And any preparation tricks? All I do is fry them in oil, then dry them with paper towels. Sometimes I go "rare" so they're basically just strips of meat, sometimes I cook them longer so they get some crunch. Either is good. I have noticed that if I cook some bacon, dry it out, and leave it in the fridge overnight, it's really good the next day as a snack. The fat takes on a better texture. Same thing happens with some steaks.
Wright is my favorite brand that most supermarkets carry

0079621461552_0_A1C1_1200.png

When eating JUST bacon, I like to take scissors and cut it up into ~1"x1" squares before frying. "Bacon chips" I call them. Takes longer to eat, makes the experience more enjoyable.

Sometimes I'll sprinkle Kraft parmesan+romano on them a minute or two before they're done frying, if you do it right it gives a nice crispy savory coating on the bacon.

Edit -- kept reading, I see LiquidDeath beat me to it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Cook bacon on a cookie sheet lined with foil at 300-350. Just check it in 20 minutes or so and may need to flip. Just depends on whether it's gas or electric and how hot your oven gets.
Even better putting the bacon on a rack. Cooks more evenly and drains more grease off

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Come on man... if you're gonna put a super salty cheese on something that is already salty at least get something good. Like Locatelli. Kraft... ugh

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Oh yeah, also -- anyone that doesn't save their bacon grease, a great way to dispose of it is to line a bowl with aluminum foil and dump the bacon grease in there. Then once it cools down and solidifies you can just crumple it up and toss it in the trash.

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
While baking your bacon in the oven or doing it on the flat top griddle are the best methods, I bought this thing to do it quick and it works great for about 5 pieces max.

Amazon product ASIN B00IQKES1I
You can also save the bacon grease from this thing very easily, so it is a win all around.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I made this mistake dicing a habanero up for a batch of chili. My hands were on fire for a good couple hours.
Yeah, don't wipe your eyes or take a piss either when dealing with hot chillies before you washed. I know the not pissing part, but have blinded myself in the past, hehe. Not fun.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, don't wipe your eyes or take a piss either when dealing with hot chillies before you washed. I know the not pissing part, but have blinded myself in the past, hehe. Not fun.
I was careful about the eyes, but scratched the edge of my nostril…..

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

My youngest son learned that lesson. He was helping me make dinner, chopping hot peppers, and went to take a leak. He regretted life at that moment. And there was nothing I could do but encourage him while we waited out the heat.

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My youngest son learned that lesson. He was helping me make dinner, chopping hot peppers, and went to take a leak. He regretted life at that moment. And there was nothing I could do but encourage him while we waited out the heat.

If you wait just the right amount of time before touching the dingus, it actually makes things better. It's very dangerous though. There's no good time to touch your eyes.

• 1Worf

Siliconemelons

Why are kitchen remodels so expensive?

built the whole thing out in ikea, 13.5k

Can save a little if I go non ikea appliances, but only like about 1k as some ikea appliances are cheaper than their counterparts and some are more expensive - but from reading have generally positive reviews... usually mostly + with some -, about the same as any other appliances in their price range.

I guess once we get closer to doing this is to shop the plan around and see what the options are.

All this so I can cook more :cool:

• 1WTF

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have something similar. Works great.
i saw this guy do this test, and i did the same test as well

microwaving bacon on a flat tray, basically cooking it in it's own juices vs. using the ridges and letting the bacon grease drain away.

cooking it in it's own fat was better

i mean, that should be the universal truth of anything right?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Was feeling lazy AF after a long week so I said skip the breading and deboned/cubed the chicken thighs I had and deep fried them in the fryer. Tossed them in some General Tso's and then on top of some prepacked Hokkien noodles. Less than 10 minutes tops start to finish.

Did not disappoint. Sometimes lazy works.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users