Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Are potato flakes basically potato starch in just a different form with maybe something else to get them to retain that flake shape and reconstitute when adding hot water? Seriously have no idea. I don't even think I know what really makes up potatoes starch versus any other type. I'm guessing it's highly dehydrated potatoes?

Potato starch is the "fiber" part of the potato, basically the cellulose part of the potato that humans can't digest

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I know Thanksgiving is next week and I've been trying to plot out our menu. Think I'm going to keep it pretty traditional and just simple with the least amount of sides possible, just nice and easy. Had planned on making regular mashed potatoes, no frills just done well, but God damn chef John comes out with this.

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Good looking potatoes dish. Wonder about doing the top layer as the Serious Eats Hassleback potatoes and soaking them in cream first. Or maybe not necessary. Love potatoes like that. Wish we were allowed to bring any side dishes to thanksgiving. We got put in canned green beans this year and maybe rolls but it's always specified to get store bought.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Good looking potatoes dish. Wonder about doing the top layer as the Serious Eats Hassleback potatoes and soaking them in cream first. Or maybe not necessary. Love potatoes like that. Wish we were allowed to bring any side dishes to thanksgiving. We got put in canned green beans this year and maybe rolls but it's always specified to get store bought.
Yeah, the hassel back potatoes from them are great, and This looks like it's kind of a riff on that. I wouldn't soak them in cream though, because you're already got creamy potatoes underneath and I think the whole reason you did it was for two different textures. I think if you did you'd end up with too much of a gloopy mess. Not to say it might not be tasty but I think it would defeat the whole purpose.

What exactly are you having to do for the holiday? Family potluck?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know Thanksgiving is next week and I've been trying to plot out our menu. Think I'm going to keep it pretty traditional and just simple with the least amount of sides possible, just nice and easy. Had planned on making regular mashed potatoes, no frills just done well, but God damn chef John comes out with this.

That looks pretty fantastic.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That looks pretty fantastic.
Yeah, I think I'm making that this year. It's just a couple more steps from traditional mashed potatoes, and it'll be easy enough and close enough to a traditional side for the meal to fit with my plan.

I guess a good question is what is everybody planning on making for Thanksgiving?

Think right now we're:

Dry brine turkey - Big Easy, but maybe kettle rotisserie, still trying to decide

Taters - chef John

Boxed stuffing - doctored up

Green bean casserole - doctored up

Roast root vegetables - brussel, carrots, parsnips, sweet taters

Dutch oven sourdough

Homemade cranberry sauce

Giblet mushroom gravy

Can't think of anything else. Figure with turkey leftovers, I'll probably make gumbo which is what I seem to be doing the last few years.

If anybody has some good ideas, I'm all ears.

• 1Quality Calories

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, the hassel back potatoes from them are great, and This looks like it's kind of a riff on that. I wouldn't soak them in cream though, because you're already got creamy potatoes underneath and I think the whole reason you did it was for two different textures. I think if you did you'd end up with too much of a gloopy mess. Not to say it might not be tasty but I think it would defeat the whole purpose.

What exactly are you having to do for the holiday? Family potluck?

Yeah was thinking it could end up with too much wet and turn soupy. Or it would be amazing with crispy potatoes, then a cheesy creamy layer, then mashed. Either way will have to try it. Hard to mess up potatoes.

Girlfriend's grandpa complains anytime anyone brings anything good or wants to have a holiday at their house, so he insists on doing everything at his place then complains that he always has to do everything. And we offer to help because he complains nobody helps and then insists we don't bring anything or help and then complains about all of it.

Did mashed potatoes twice. He complained they were too garlicy one year and too peppery another. So non holiday we got to try a third time with no pepper or anything other than a bit of salt and he complained they were over seasoned and salty.

Did the hassle back potatoes once. He complained because he said he wanted au gratin so insisted to do his from a box from then on.

First year in our house we were allowed to host Thanksgiving (and only that once in 8 years now) but he insisted on (over)cooking the turkey at his place and transporting it over. Then made a big show of insisting I carve it since it was my house. I refused because that seemed very gay to me to carve another man's meat.

Another year I had already bought a turkey, so he let me cover over to roast it at his house, then I had to run errands and it magically finished an hour early and was dry as hell but swears he didn't fiddle with the temp.

I should probably start posting in the divorce thread some day because from a food perspective in particular her family is a unique form of hell.

So, our plans are hope we get sick and don't have to attend and then live vicariously through all of you heroes that still give me some measure of hope some families out there are still eating good food for the holidays.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah was thinking it could end up with too much wet and turn soupy. Or it would be amazing with crispy potatoes, then a cheesy creamy layer, then mashed. Either way will have to try it. Hard to mess up potatoes.

Girlfriend's grandpa complains anytime anyone brings anything good or wants to have a holiday at their house, so he insists on doing everything at his place then complains that he always has to do everything. And we offer to help because he complains nobody helps and then insists we don't bring anything or help and then complains about all of it.

Did mashed potatoes twice. He complained they were too garlicy one year and too peppery another. So non holiday we got to try a third time with no pepper or anything other than a bit of salt and he complained they were over seasoned and salty.

Did the hassle back potatoes once. He complained because he said he wanted au gratin so insisted to do his from a box from then on.

First year in our house we were allowed to host Thanksgiving (and only that once in 8 years now) but he insisted on (over)cooking the turkey at his place and transporting it over. Then made a big show of insisting I carve it since it was my house. I refused because that seemed very gay to me to carve another man's meat.

Another year I had already bought a turkey, so he let me cover over to roast it at his house, then I had to run errands and it magically finished an hour early and was dry as hell but swears he didn't fiddle with the temp.

I should probably start posting in the divorce thread some day because from a food perspective in particular her family is a unique form of hell.

So, our plans are hope we get sick and don't have to attend and then live vicariously through all of you heroes that still give me some measure of hope some families out there are still eating good food for the holidays.
Gotcha homie....

Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF

It's just so alien to me when people talk about family get togethers and meals being horrendous. I guess I was just lucky growing up the most of our family was pretty decent in the kitchen and I have an amazing amount of fond memories on different holiday meals. Hell anytime I visit one of my uncles up in Wisconsin, he always ask me what I want to eat, and it's typically blackened venison, and he always saves a back strap for the occasion.

I don't think I could deal with weird family members being picky about food, and luckily none of my family is, it's just always a lot of fun, and even if I'm not doing the cooking I know whatever we're going to eat will taste pretty damn good.

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Last year we did candied butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes. Marshmallows on top. Sweetened up, including bourbon cask aged maple syrup that is amazing when needing sweet and depth of flavor. Was really good. Would be on my Thanksgiving menu. Might just make it for the heck of it.

Then again the girlfriend is making two pineapple upside down cakes right now for practice/science. One in a cake pan, one in cast iron to compare. So probably have enough sweet stuff for the weekend.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I drew the lucky straw and got tasked with pies this year. Pumpkin, Apple, Pecan and Key Lime on the menu.

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Pineapple upside down cake. Was pretty sure it was going to overflow, but thankfully didn't.

It's a bit weepy. Might have to look into techniques to maybe precook the sugar and butter further into caramel first, so the bottom is crunchier, if that would work? Or let it cool in the pan completely?

Can't remember my mom's tip when she helped me make one like 20 years ago to impress a girl. It was very crunchy in a way I haven't really seen since or been able to replicate. She was doing desserts professionally at the time and I wish she were still alive because she had tricks for everything and everything she made was just slightly more unique/better.

IMG_20231118_174819075_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20231118_182239211.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pineapple upside down cake. Was pretty sure it was going to overflow, but thankfully didn't.

It's a bit weepy. Might have to look into techniques to maybe precook the sugar and butter further into caramel first, so the bottom is crunchier, if that would work? Or let it cool in the pan completely?

Can't remember my mom's tip when she helped me make one like 20 years ago to impress a girl. It was very crunchy in a way I haven't really seen since or been able to replicate. She was doing desserts professionally at the time and I wish she were still alive because she had tricks for everything and everything she made was just slightly more unique/better.

View attachment 500968View attachment 500969

Maybe give it a little time on a burner on the stove top

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Maybe give it a little time on a burner on the stove top

Before or after? Or both...

Used real pineapple and I've heard some recipes work best with canned.

Pineapple upside down cake is a favorite I recently rediscovered, so might just make one a week experimenting until I either figure it out or die of the beetus.

Might need to finally buy a torch and creme brulee the thing.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Last year we did candied butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes. Marshmallows on top. Sweetened up, including bourbon cask aged maple syrup that is amazing when needing sweet and depth of flavor. Was really good. Would be on my Thanksgiving menu. Might just make it for the heck of it.

Then again the girlfriend is making two pineapple upside down cakes right now for practice/science. One in a cake pan, one in cast iron to compare. So probably have enough sweet stuff for the weekend.
Sounds pretty good. I completely forgot about dessert. I think in the past handful of years we've just been buying a pie from HEB. Their bakeries only pretty good, but I just don't feel like having a screw around with it. 10 bucks for a big ass cream cheese and pumpkin pie or pecan has done the trick.

Was the bourbon maple syrup from trader Joe's? I swear we got some of that one year, and I thought it was from there.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

View attachment 500968View attachment 500969
Butter and brown sugar in the cast iron. Butter mainly and I would almost treat it maybe like cornbread. I can't imagine with all of those sugars and stuff and butter you wouldn't get a nice caramel type crust.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Was the bourbon maple syrup from trader Joe's? I swear we got some of that one year, and I thought it was from there.

Found it at the local ding and dent grocer that randomly has random stuff (so bought like 6 bottles because might never see it again). Available online, apparently. I put it in all kinds of stuff, from sesame/mandarin chicken sauce to Shepard's pie. And it almost makes me like pancakes.

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Butter and brown sugar in the cast iron. Butter mainly and I would almost treat it maybe like cornbread. I can't imagine with all of those sugars and stuff and butter you wouldn't get a nice caramel type crust.

Turned out delicious but very wet and not caramelized much. Almost like a poke cake.

The recipe my girlfriend had me doing was to just dissolve the brown sugar in the butter over low heat. Looking into it after and Serious Eats says to almost make caramel then add pineapple and set aside so it cools some, which is what I was suspecting as I was trying to not change the recipe on the fly like I often do.

Not bad for second one we've made, but can be improved. We only did one tonight so might just do another tomorrow with the rest of the pineapple and take extra to work.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sweet potato pie > Pumpkin pie

Change my mind.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Supertaster
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Real pineapple might have been the difference in end liquid. I bet the canning process cooks some of the juice out of the fruit. Think of it like the difference between putting raw onions vs cooked onions on your pizza.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users