Gravy's Cooking Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Real men don't eat sea roaches.

We're gonna have to fight over that one.

1701129273358.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I know they are basically the same, but I like crawfish but not shrimp.
I'm curious why you don't like shrimp but you'll eat crawfish, normally it's the opposite where people like shrimp but won't eat crawfish for whatever dumb reason. Is it taste or texture?

I don't think there's any shellfish / seafood I don't eat, but it can definitely become inedible when cooked poorly. Over cooked shrimp or squid is pretty disgusting.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm curious why you don't like shrimp but you'll eat crawfish, normally it's the opposite where people like shrimp but won't eat crawfish for whatever dumb reason. Is it taste or texture?

I don't think there's any shellfish / seafood I don't eat, but it can definitely become inedible when cooked poorly. Over cooked shrimp or squid is pretty disgusting.
It's probably a mental thing. I very picky about what seafood I like. Love oysters and clams, crayfish and lobster. Enjoy sushi (certain types like tuna, mahi) and battered/fried fish (like fish and chips). And of course crawfish (mainly in something with a sauce like etouffe). That's about it. Dont like fish sauteed, broiled, grilled, or any other prep.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It's probably a mental thing. I very picky about what seafood I like. Love oysters and clams, crayfish and lobster. Enjoy sushi (certain types like tuna, mahi) and battered/fried fish (like fish and chips). And of course crawfish (mainly in something with a sauce like etouffe). That's about it. Dont like fish sauteed, broiled, grilled, or any other prep.
I don't know it's hard to beat good grilled shrimp, fried poboy, or a cajun shrimp boil. Just wondering. I think growing up where I did from a young age I've got an affinity for seafood. Id eat it more often but God damn it's gotten so expensive. Catfish fillets at $8 a pound is just retarded. Fucking pound of fresh crab meat used to be 12 bucks, now it's double.

Bidenomics paying dividends.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don't know it's hard to beat good grilled shrimp, fried poboy, or a cajun shrimp boil. Just wondering. I think growing up where I did from a young age I've got an affinity for seafood. Id eat it more often but God damn it's gotten so expensive. Catfish fillets at $8 a pound is just retarded.
It is definitely how one grows up. I could literally eat pasta every day until I puke. I never tire of pasta and have a hard time stopping when I eat it.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
It is definitely how one grows up. I could literally eat pasta every day until I puke. I never tire of pasta and have a hard time stopping when I eat it.
Yeah I grew up on boiled crawfish and gumbo. My mom used to take us to the New Orleans food festival back in the '80s down at the convention center, and it was all the best restaurants in the city with booths, and my favorite thing was alligator meatballs. I think I was maybe four or five. Don't remember what restaurant.

Believe it had to do more with my mom or dad would get something and then I'd want to try it, and they soon found out that I wasn't very picky. They're always pretty encouraging about my sister and I trying different things.

Mom specifically would get really weird things with the idea that there's no way I'm going to eat it. Stuff like escargot, but all she was doing was training my palate. She's getting pretty old and it's still something we joke about when I visit, and I'm very thankful for having the opportunity to be exposed to some pretty serious cuisine growing up. That's why I like being in the kitchen and making all the different foods that I do.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
time to try some woks
58d1a0aadb3497fdb42859625b198c63.png

Sunrise Kitchen Supply 14" Japanese Style Steel Wok

i had only wanted to get the jap wok cuz it's imported, but the winco one is like 10bucks now guess i'll give it a try, it surprisingly has good reviews. my nephew said he doesn't have a wok atm (wife cooks and shes on induction), by then i'll have the new ones seasoned, or i also send my current seasoned one (i'd just have to attach a handle to it).

i'd already checked my asian grocer and those woks were thin and mass produced (no hammering), and i just don't like em. (probably why i'll try the winco and hate it)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
My tiny grill testing how I liked charcoal isn't cutting it anymore. I've like charcoal grilling so need to get a full size grill. Your mentioning woks with grills on my mind makes me thing the tiny grill might be perfect to just start coals and then set my cast iron wok right into it like a holder. Another idea inspired by a Lanx Lanx gadget post!

Oh and I couldn't find the oyster sauce with the people in the boat anywhere. Then at me normies grocer they had a bunch in a clearance cart. And it was smaller bottles which is good because we don't go through it very fast.

Time for more cultural appropriation. Well I guess not since Asians are white supremacists now too.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh and I couldn't find the oyster sauce with the people in the boat anywhere. Then at me normies grocer they had a bunch in a clearance cart. And it was smaller bottles which is good because we don't go through it very fast.

Time for more cultural appropriation. Well I guess not since Asians are white supremacists now too.
oh thats cool, you could have tried the one w/ the panda on it (both are lee kum kee), the ppl w/ the boat is the more premium version, just tastes more oystery, so maybe make note to adjust the amount

yea, i always make a trip to the "asian" section when i'm in kroger, they'll have some good shit on huge discount cuz white ppl don't buy it

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My tiny grill testing how I liked charcoal isn't cutting it anymore. I've like charcoal grilling so need to get a full size grill. Your mentioning woks with grills on my mind makes me thing the tiny grill might be perfect to just start coals and then set my cast iron wok right into it like a holder. Another idea inspired by a Lanx Lanx gadget post!

You can also use a charcoal chimney to heat your wok. Can't remember where I've seen that, but it would be pretty intense heat. Just find a model that's a bit wider. Plenty out there. Then just set the chimney in the little grill to catch the ash.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You can also use a charcoal chimney to heat your wok. Can't remember where I've seen that, but it would be pretty intense heat. Just find a model that's a bit wider. Plenty out there. Then just set the chimney in the little grill to catch the ash.

Good idea. The cast iron wok is heavy as hell and would be iffy, but a lighter wok would be good that way.

It's probably not technically very safe to have the cast iron wok in that rinky dink grill at all though. The fold down legs have never inspired confidence, especially if I'm crusting a roast in it for pulled pork in the sous vide.

Have seen some videos of people who made chimney style charcoal contraptions just for seering steaks. Have even thought of finding one of those veggie baskets they make for grills to do it easier. Could then use a light wok too as needed with a more stable chimney.

Might be a direction I go because last steaks I was doing other meats so started them on the grill before fully spreading coals and finished them in sous vide and it worked really well. Didn't have as crusty a seer of course but was counterbalanced with not having to watch temps and being noticably more tender in the fattier potentially tougher bits.

All just finding new ways to entertain myself, of course, not at risk of starving anytime soon.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Good idea. The cast iron wok is heavy as hell and would be iffy, but a lighter wok would be good that way.

It's probably not technically very safe to have the cast iron wok in that rinky dink grill at all though. The fold down legs have never inspired confidence, especially if I'm crusting a roast in it for pulled pork in the sous vide.

Have seen some videos of people who made chimney style charcoal contraptions just for seering steaks. Have even thought of finding one of those veggie baskets they make for grills to do it easier. Could then use a light wok too as needed with a more stable chimney.

Might be a direction I go because last steaks I was doing other meats so started them on the grill before fully spreading coals and finished them in sous vide and it worked really well. Didn't have as crusty a seer of course but was counterbalanced with not having to watch temps and being noticably more tender in the fattier potentially tougher bits.

All just finding new ways to entertain myself, of course, not at risk of starving anytime soon.
I have a little jumbo joe grill, and did the charcoal chimney with the grate for a sous vide steak in the past. Works really well. If you've got an Academy, they sell a nice larger chimney, their Oklahoma Joe brand. It's definitely wide enough for stability, and would probably work great with a round bottom wok, even if it's a heavier one. Heat might not be a concentrated compared to the narrower Weber style chimneys though. Those end up being like little jet engines, but probably iffier to use without tipping over.

IMG_20231203_100816582_HDR.jpg

• 1Like