Gravy's Cooking Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you’re going to do seed oils, I believe expeller pressed is the non chem/heat method. Avocado oil is great, started using it middle of last year. Neutral flavor and handles high heat well

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever tried deep frying in extra virgin olive oil? I've always heard that its smoke point is too low but if you google it you get 1000 articles saying that's a myth and you *can* deep fry with it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Olive oil has a smoke point of around 400, so while you can fry most foods between 350-400, you have a thin margin to work with. I think the biggest issue with frying with olive oil would be the flavor profile, not the smoke point. For reference, most other oils are usually 450+

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Anyone ever tried deep frying in extra virgin olive oil? I've always heard that its smoke point is too low but if you google it you get 1000 articles saying that's a myth and you *can* deep fry with it.
You can do lower temp frying with it. I shallow fry with it at times, but I never push it above 350-360. Use it for things like schnitzel, pork chops, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You can do lower temp frying with it. I shallow fry with it at times, but I never push it above 350-360. Use it for things like schnitzel, pork chops, etc.

Can you taste it much? I really don't like the flavor of olive oil, and the hotter it gets the more I dislike it. Room temp oil and balsamic is good, but can't even lower temp sautee with it. Not sure what happened toe, since I grew up with a lot of sauteing in olive oil I almost wonder if I burned it once and it soured me on it.

Mmmmm schnitzel. Good idea. Gonna try making some at some point.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's going to depend on what you're frying. Foods with low oil absorption should be fine. Once you start frying things like breaded items, pastries, etc, you'll taste the difference real quick.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's going to depend on what you're frying. Foods with low oil absorption should be fine. Once you start frying things like breaded items, pastries, etc, you'll taste the difference real quick.
i don't think you can even fry breaded/floured foods (lets just saya chicken) cuz it'll be just too soggy.

like i remember if i bread fry chicken i have to fry it at 410 or higher, otherwise it looks soggy and the oil is "absorbed" rather than being fried.

not to mention the oil gets stank real quick when the breading comes off and if you didn't skim the oil, the bits are just gonna be smelly and smokey.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Can you taste it much? I really don't like the flavor of olive oil, and the hotter it gets the more I dislike it. Room temp oil and balsamic is good, but can't even lower temp sautee with it. Not sure what happened toe, since I grew up with a lot of sauteing in olive oil I almost wonder if I burned it once and it soured me on it.

Mmmmm schnitzel. Good idea. Gonna try making some at some point.
Maybe, I don't really know, just always used it for some reason probably because I just had it on hand, and it always turned out good. They're definitely is a benefit of using a really good evoo for things like dressings where when it's the focus you can definitely tell the difference between it and a generic brand.

Mind you this is shallow frying and not deep frying. We're talking a high-sided skillet and maybe a half inch of oil. I definitely wouldn't deep fry anything in Evoo. Although I have seen videos of Italians doing just that for different things. I'll see if I can find an example. They probably do it because they like the flavor.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i don't think you can even fry breaded/floured foods (lets just saya chicken) cuz it'll be just too soggy.

like i remember if i bread fry chicken i have to fry it at 410 or higher, otherwise it looks soggy and the oil is "absorbed" rather than being fried.

not to mention the oil gets stank real quick when the breading comes off and if you didn't skim the oil, the bits are just gonna be smelly and smokey.

Most of the breaded items you see in the freezer section are par-fried. And most of the ones you'll get served in a restaurant will be fried. Our appetizers are usually about 3-5% absorption based on weight. Donuts absorb about 20-25% of their weight in oil/shortening, something to keep in mind next time you decide to make home made donuts.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Any recipe that relies on canned soup is an auto fail.
I only removed one word to FTFY

The downfall of western civilization began around the time that cooking magazines started pretending that combining a can of premade soup with some other ingredient counted as a "recipe".

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Is food.com a satire site? This is the funniest clam chowder recipe I've ever seen.

Looks pretty normal to me. Doesn't have a rue, but I guess the cream of celery and potatoes will thicken it fine. Looks like it's supposed to be just quick and easy, but it's not like clam chowder is hard to make anyway.

• 1Seriously?

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I only removed one word to FTFY

The downfall of western civilization began around the time that cooking magazines started pretending that combining a can of premade soup with some other ingredient counted as a "recipe".
I don't think there's anything wrong with using it as an ingredient along with other stuff. Hell, look at traditional green beans casserole. It's not fancy, but it tastes good. Sure you can make it fancy and not use cream of whatever, but doesn't mean it's not enjoyable.

Think a lot of those back of the box / can recipes are for people that don't know how to cook, and they can always be made better, but it's still convenient sometimes to use the stuff.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm not arguing its not tasty. We make green bean casserole the traditional bullshit way every thanksgiving, using canned soup, pre-packaged french fried onions, etc.

I'm just saying it doesnt count as a recipe, or cooking, any more than following the instructions on the back of the chef boyardee can. "Combine this can with that can and voila, you're a chef now!" My ire is for people posting ""recipes"" that go that way, or even worse, magazines paying people to list ""recipes"" like that.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i havent done or used any "cream of" soups

is all it is just a flour and milk reduction and the star ingredient (mushroom/celery)?

what would be the difference of this, versus a biscuits and gravy? (which is the closest i've done)

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would think a "cream of anything" soup would just overpower a delicate soup such as clam chowder. You dont want clam chowder to taste like celery soup, but a clam chowder.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I would think a "cream of anything" soup would just overpower a delicate soup such as clam chowder. You dont want clam chowder to taste like celery soup, but a clam chowder.
I think it's just to cover your celery aromatic. I haven't made it in a long time, but sometimes I'll add crawfish or oysters and use the Trinity with a bit of the pope. Not traditional but it's makes for a nice seafood chowder. Guess you could use mussels too, sans shell. Hell, even use a bit of tasso for your pork fat instead. Milk and seafood stock and tradional light roux.

Fuck, now I want to make some. Supposed to be cold and rainy this week, and that would hit the spot.

Anyways, like I said earlier, the cream of whatever is just for convenience and lack or lack of cooking skills. Also, Campbell's has to push their products somehow with back of the can recipes.

I guess a lot of that stuff was probably developed in the 50s or something, or at least pushed during that era for the stay at home mom for quick and convenient recipes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think it's just to cover your celery aromatic. I haven't made it in a long time, but sometimes I'll add crawfish or oysters and use the Trinity with a bit of the pope. Not traditional but it's makes for a nice seafood chowder. Guess you could use mussels too, sans shell. Hell, even use a bit of tasso for your pork fat instead. Milk and seafood stock and tradional light roux.

Fuck, now I want to make some. Supposed to be cold and rainy this week, and that would hit the spot.

Anyways, like I said earlier, the cream of whatever is just for convenience and lack or lack of cooking skills. Also, Campbell's has to push their products somehow with back of the can recipes.

I guess a lot of that stuff was probably developed in the 50s or something, or at least pushed during that era for the stay at home mom for quick and convenient recipes.
lulz the reason why cream of can stuff tastes good is cuz of chinese secret sprinkle
0c40c50e-d44a-4cef-9c97-0f7ee2a741f2.6ba2e16652bbd565f26e3b218b497060.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users