Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's just skipping the step of thickening it which is the only part of making clam chowder that takes any technique. It's a well known shortcut. Food.com is just a website where anyone can upload a recipe. They're not written by professionals or anything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
lulz the reason why cream of can stuff tastes good is cuz of chinese secret sprinkle
0c40c50e-d44a-4cef-9c97-0f7ee2a741f2.6ba2e16652bbd565f26e3b218b497060.jpeg
Haha, never looked at the ingredients before. That stuff truly is in everything. Do you keep a bottle around? I've seen a lot of recipes that always call for it, and I don't think it's supposed to be as bad for you as it was once touted.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Haha, never looked at the ingredients before. That stuff truly is in everything. Do you keep a bottle around? I've seen a lot of recipes that always call for it, and I don't think it's supposed to be as bad for you as it was once touted.
lulz bottle
a754bb91b227c516b00eba923267234c.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
lulz bottle
a754bb91b227c516b00eba923267234c.jpg
Do you use it for most Asian dishes that you make? Do you also use it for whatever other types of food you might be making? How much do you typically use at a time?

I honestly don't really know much about when it's appropriate. Typically if I want more umami or drive that taste or whatever, it's always a splash of Worcestershire or soy. We also use some of those umami powders that I think are predominantly mushrooms. Trader Joe's actually has one that's cheap and really good. I've been buying a lot of spices from them lately because they're only two bucks a bottle and I've got some pretty unique ones that we've been incorporating into a lot of our meals.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
anchovy paste is another good way to get umami when cooking (it doesn't make your food taste fishy)

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you use it for most Asian dishes that you make? Do you also use it for whatever other types of food you might be making? How much do you typically use at a time?

I honestly don't really know much about when it's appropriate. Typically if I want more umami or drive that taste or whatever, it's always a splash of Worcestershire or soy. We also use some of those umami powders that I think are predominantly mushrooms. Trader Joe's actually has one that's cheap and really good. I've been buying a lot of spices from them lately because they're only two bucks a bottle and I've got some pretty unique ones that we've been incorporating into a lot of our meals.
no i only sprinkle it when i have white ppl coming over

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I use MSG in pretty much all dishes these days. IDK why it was so vilified by the west. But , shit, its even popular in European seasonings as well. It just makes savory shit taste better. When you taste it, it tastes like salt.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I use MSG in pretty much all dishes these days. IDK why it was so vilified by the west. But , shit, its even popular in European seasonings as well. It just makes savory shit taste better. When you taste it, it tastes like salt.
msg got a bad rap in the 80s just like real butter and real milk and real sugar got a bad rap

the margarine ppl made lots of money and paid for fake science

the almond/oat milk farmers made lots of money and paid lots of lobbists

sucralose/saccrine is killing us, but sweet n low is rolling in dough

everyone loved takeout chinese food and shitty dominos wanted some of that action

• 3Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
How much do you typically use?

Also it wasn't a back in the 80s and I guess maybe early 90s where there was a big hullabaloo about MSG and stay away from any food that had it? At least that's what I remember when it was demonized.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
msg got a bad rap in the 80s just like real butter and real milk and real sugar got a bad rap

the margarine ppl made lots of money and paid for fake science

the almond/oat milk farmers made lots of money and paid lots of lobbists

sucralose/saccrine is killing us, but sweet n low is rolling in dough

everyone loved takeout chinese food and shitty dominos wanted some of that action
Fucking margarine. My dad and my stepmom had giant tubs of country Crock all the time, and I never used butter because butter is bad. On the other hand mom always cooked with butter as did my grandmother, and that's what I use. I don't think I've ever bought a tub of that stuff. It just tastes weird. I never understood how the hell they could cook with it.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fucking margarine. My dad and my stepmom had giant tubs of country Crock all the time, and I never used butter because butter is bad. On the other hand mom always cooked with butter as did my grandmother, and that's what I use. I don't think I've ever bought a tub of that stuff. It just tastes weird. I never understood how the hell they could cook with it.
your stepmom waas so easy to fool
8z9m4eg.gif

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How much do you typically use?

Also it wasn't a back in the 80s and I guess maybe early 90s where there was a big hullabaloo about MSG and stay away from any food that had it? At least that's what I remember when it was demonized.
I sprinkle the shit, IDK, never really measure it. For soups/chili/tomato sauce maybe a teaspoon? I bought like a 1lb sack at the china store, put it in some empty seasoning containers. Looking more into ti supposedly its one of the core 5 flavors. But it just tastes salty to me, lol.

1705866721344.png

• 3Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Looks pretty normal to me. Doesn't have a rue, but I guess the cream of celery and potatoes will thicken it fine. Looks like it's supposed to be just quick and easy, but it's not like clam chowder is hard to make anyway.

Yes, the processed canned soup will thicken it. Gag. The pictures. Gag.

The recipe overall is funny and imo not normal at all.

The self praise from the uploader "teen7043" saying it's better than a restaurant and actually the best ever.

It's a pretty high bacon to soup ratio, assuming "6 -7 pieces bacon, cut into small pieces" means 6 or 7 slices. Pieces cut into pieces as an instruction doesn't give me confidence.

One medium onion, but then 6 or 7 potatoes of indeterminate size. Cubed is a pet peeve of mine, but with cans of soup may as well do cubed potatoes to make it look even more like canned chowder.

The step right after adding the milk, cream and canned soup is to add butter to the pot and let it melt in. After adding all that cold liquid the butter isn't melting in anytime soon. And I know some people like the pat of butter on a fresh bowl of chowder, whereas I think it's unnecessary, but if one wants that why just cook in a tablespoon of butter? Is that really helping anything?

Stir together is a step. Could have skipped that "step" entirely by just writing "stirin clams, milk," etc. Avoided the chance of someone stirring apart, though, so kudos there.

Dill weed in chowder? Maybe it's the secret ingredient to elevate chowder, but seems weird.

It goes from crisping bacon in a sauce pan to adding a lot of ingredients and liquid.... Big sauce pan!

No mention of what to do with rendered fat from 6-7 slices of bacon. That's potentially a lot of fat for not doing a roux.

Some funny comments, too.

The obligatory question if one can make this in a crock pot: "Have anyone tried this in a crockpot?" And a food.com staffer responds with the obligatory suggestion to use a pressure cooker response, adding it will save time... Despite the question being about a slow cooker.

Comment condemning it as not traditional, and rightly so but still funny that there's always that person.

And someone asking a tech help question about saving recipes.

And of course a bunch of pictures from people who clearly modified the recipe, notably by adding amy amount of seasoning, parsley, paprika and other stuff very absent from the original recipe that has no seasoning or topping at all, but i guess they're just letting the can of soup do the seasoning.

All in all, I found it to be peak Internet with people who shouldn't have any ability to share their terrible opinions uploading shit recipes that are poorly worded and then a bunch of confused women commenting and the only "official" answer is barely relevant.

And then of course it's highly rated and I found it on another site from someone linking how to make New England clam chowder, which it's not, nor normal, despite sharing some ingredients.

• 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I don't think there's anything wrong with using it as an ingredient along with other stuff. Hell, look at traditional green beans casserole. It's not fancy, but it tastes good. Sure you can make it fancy and not use cream of whatever, but doesn't mean it's not enjoyable.

Think a lot of those back of the box / can recipes are for people that don't know how to cook, and they can always be made better, but it's still convenient sometimes to use the stuff.

I agree and am not opposed to canned soup. I'll use Progresso cream of mushroom with mushrooms to make a mushroom heavy stroganoff. Their French onion soup as a base in some dishes.

So wouldn't go so far as he does saying any canned soup in any recipe is too far. Canned soup in a soup recipe, though, imo is a bridge too far to maintain decency in society.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
your stepmom waas so easy to fool
8z9m4eg.gif
There was a time back in the late '80s early 90s where it was all about them trying to eat healthy and they had all these dumbass recipes and shit from cookbooks or meal plans they were following. Thank God it only lasted maybe 5 years or so.

They finally came around and started cooking like normal people again. That's not to say that some of their healthy meals and stuff were weren't bad. I remember dad used to grill a lot of shrimp skewers I remember dad used to grill a lot of shrimp kabobs with all kinds of vegetables. We used to go down to Kemah and by really good Gulf shrimp basically right off the boat. That kind food was enjoyable and still fit with their weird health kick.

My stepmom did know how to do decent southern cooking and when they cast off the chains of things like margarine, she got back to her East Texas roots. She knew how to make a great pie or cobbler, and that requires copious amounts of butter. She had just a lot of recipes at her mom used to do when they were growing up, and they were always delicious. Just simple normal American food. Salmon patties that she would make were probably the best I've ever had when I was growing up.

• 1Quality Calories

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I would think a "cream of anything" soup would just overpower a delicate soup such as clam chowder. You dont want clam chowder to taste like celery soup, but a clam chowder.

That's what the Dill weed in that clam chowder recipe is for. Once there is no cohesive flavor profile you don't care if the delicate flavors are overpowered.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yes, the processed canned soup will thicken it. Gag. The pictures. Gag.

The recipe overall is funny and imo not normal at all.

The self praise from the uploader "teen7043" saying it's better than a restaurant and actually the best ever.

It's a pretty high bacon to soup ratio, assuming "6 -7 pieces bacon, cut into small pieces" means 6 or 7 slices. Pieces cut into pieces as an instruction doesn't give me confidence.

One medium onion, but then 6 or 7 potatoes of indeterminate size. Cubed is a pet peeve of mine, but with cans of soup may as well do cubed potatoes to make it look even more like canned chowder.

The step right after adding the milk, cream and canned soup is to add butter to the pot and let it melt in. After adding all that cold liquid the butter isn't melting in anytime soon. And I know some people like the pat of butter on a fresh bowl of chowder, whereas I think it's unnecessary, but if one wants that why just cook in a tablespoon of butter? Is that really helping anything?

Stir together is a step. Could have skipped that "step" entirely by just writing "stirin clams, milk," etc. Avoided the chance of someone stirring apart, though, so kudos there.

Dill weed in chowder? Maybe it's the secret ingredient to elevate chowder, but seems weird.

It goes from crisping bacon in a sauce pan to adding a lot of ingredients and liquid.... Big sauce pan!

No mention of what to do with rendered fat from 6-7 slices of bacon. That's potentially a lot of fat for not doing a roux.

Some funny comments, too.

The obligatory question if one can make this in a crock pot: "Have anyone tried this in a crockpot?" And a food.com staffer responds with the obligatory suggestion to use a pressure cooker response, adding it will save time... Despite the question being about a slow cooker.

Comment condemning it as not traditional, and rightly so but still funny that there's always that person.

And someone asking a tech help question about saving recipes.

And of course a bunch of pictures from people who clearly modified the recipe, notably by adding amy amount of seasoning, parsley, paprika and other stuff very absent from the original recipe that has no seasoning or topping at all, but i guess they're just letting the can of soup do the seasoning.

All in all, I found it to be peak Internet with people who shouldn't have any ability to share their terrible opinions uploading shit recipes that are poorly worded and then a bunch of confused women commenting and the only "official" answer is barely relevant.

And then of course it's highly rated and I found it on another site from someone linking how to make New England clam chowder, which it's not, nor normal, despite sharing some ingredients.
I'll be honest I just looked at the ingredient list and didn't really deep dive into the whole thing like you did. I was feeling it's best to stay away from goofy food blogs trying to tell a story where I just want to know what the fuck is in the recipe, and I don't care about your journey and discovering how to make chowder.

My stance or opinion on the thing was solely based on the ingredient list and just knowing how to cook and figuring that it would probably work fine, but it wouldn't be the bee's knees chowder.

Dill does work with seafood and i typically use it pretty often or tarragon. Both of those herbs especially freshly do compliment seafood flavors. Dill is fairly delicate, or at least to me, but you got to be careful with tarragon. Don't necessarily need a step-by-step guide on one two put all of the components together. Don't typically follow recipes to the T either. Constantly adding other things or just tweaking stuff. It's what makes cooking fun.

Now my curiosity is peaked and I might have to go actually read it more in depth for a laugh. I do typically stay away from any of that type of stuff. I think the only food related website I used to read was serious eats, but they got hardcore leftist somewhere along the road. If I'm going to learn something about cooking it's typically America's test kitchen. It's no bullshit cooking and the recipes or techniques are always pretty Rock solid. I tried to watch Kenji, but I can't stand the way he shoots his videos and just kind of rambles, and then he always sits there and proceeds to chew his meal at the end and his microphone is right by his damn mouth. It's just fucked up. But what do I know that guy's probably making millions, and I do have his cookbook.

• 1Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

My girlfriend's family still uses the tubs of hydrogenated oil spread. On the table for spreading on cold rolls. Added to box mashed potatoes or whatever they're "cooking." Shit tastes weird and is... Greasy?

We started bringing our own butter chips to the great confusion of everyone. But better than when when I was asked if I wanted butter and was handed the tub and I would be a dick and say "sure, butter please" and then pretend to be very confused when her father or grandfather would say "You're holding the butter"

They also still think lesser processed whole milk and yogurt is bad. Eggs are bad. Etc.

• 1Worf