Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
if youre wondering if you can have as good as takeout rice, then your rice cooking is shit, get a rice cooker

if youre wondering if you can have as good as sit down restaurant rice? then your rice cooking is ok, it can get better by either getting better rice and/or a rice cooker

i do not know korean rice cookers, i have never used one, my korean friends have, thats what they grew up w/, i grew up w/ japanese rice cookers and manual stovetop.

Can you describe what you mean by "shitty rice", "ok rice", and "amazing rice"?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's a pretty fucked up etouffe recipe. Normally doesn't have cheese or cream. I can see a splash of cream at the end just to kind of round the sauce out but the cheese is not traditional at all.

Clove is another thing it typically don't see. If you want a real one, let me know. I'll screenshot one of my true blue restaurant cookbooks.
sure dawg, whatever cajun w/o the cheese/cream would be cool, i don't mind buying a meal like that, but making it, i only really use cheese in lasagne

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We have a korean one. The rest of my wife's family have the same brand but different models. No complaints except I speak/read korean for shit. We have an instapot as well and the cleanup is much easier.
haha yea cuckoo is the korean one, they make their rice cookers look like humidifiers, ha

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just dont make the shit enough to justify yet another appliance for the rice cooking. Rice around my house is MAYBE once or twice a month. And even then sometimes I make my own stove top rice and roni which is flavored in some way with some stock or whatever. Stove top and pot has been my go to for plain rice and the method has been doing fine since I have been cooking it. I have that shit down to a science and it comes out 99% perfect. Now if I ate that shit every day? Sure, rice cooker makes sense.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I just dont make the shit enough to justify yet another appliance for the rice cooking. Rice around my house is MAYBE once or twice a month. And even then sometimes I make my own stove top rice and roni which is flavored in some way with some stock or whatever. Stove top and pot has been my go to for plain rice and the method has been doing fine since I have been cooking it. I have that shit down to a science and it comes out 99% perfect. Now if I ate that shit every day? Sure, rice cooker makes sense.
Pretty much the same boat. I make it if we're doing Oriental, making gumbo, or maybe I'll make Spanish rice if I'm doing Mexican, but it's not a mainstay that I constantly have to have on hand.

It's easy enough to do well and a non-stick pot. I can do two cups of good jasmine rice with aromatics, not always turns out wonderful. I think it's a cultural difference.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's easy enough to do well and a non-stick pot. I can do two cups of good jasmine rice with aromatics, not always turns out wonderful. I think it's a cultural difference.
i made sure my new one had jasmine setting
NP-HCC-Control-Panel.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Asked for the Zojirushi as my housewarming gift and it was the best idea ever. I do cook a ton of stuff with rice, though, so I make good use of it. Think one of my favorite parts of using it vs. just making it in a pot is the warmer on it. I fucking suck at timing different parts of meals to finish around the same time, so it's nice that I can just always know to start the rice earlier and even if it finishes before I'm ready for it, it'll still be fresh and warm and perfect once I pop the lid. Super easy to clean and maintain. And I do appreciate the little jingles it makes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Asked for the Zojirushi as my housewarming gift and it was the best idea ever. I do cook a ton of stuff with rice, though, so I make good use of it. Think one of my favorite parts of using it vs. just making it in a pot is the warmer on it. I fucking suck at timing different parts of meals to finish around the same time, so it's nice that I can just always know to start the rice earlier and even if it finishes before I'm ready for it, it'll still be fresh and warm and perfect once I pop the lid. Super easy to clean and maintain. And I do appreciate the little jingles it makes.

the stickers are done fucking free hand!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No shit? Does it turn out better because it's been sitting Frozen for a while? Maybe because if you go to freeze it and you've already had it pre-cut with the stuff to change the alkalinity, the process of freezing is going to also help tenderize it because of the ice crystals? Is there a noticeable difference between fresh meat versus the Frozen?

The method that I followed I did a wet brine of soy sauce water and baking soda for a few hours. Then I dried the meat and did the cornstarch and egg white. I did add a Chipotle Chinese five-spice I think from McAdams that I really like. Five spice but it's got a bit of heat to it.

After doing the whole thing I've been trying to figure out what other cheap ass cuts of meat I could use to do stir fry and part of me is saying buy a chuck roast and really cut it up against the grain and separate it out. I think I might try what you're talking about I just have it ready on hand because sometimes when I'm not wanting to go big production would be great to have an easy stir fry meal, especially if I just want to use up whatever vegetables and stuff I have on hand and boil up a bit of rice or noodles.

here's a bunch i marinaded and plan to freeze, chuck steak was on sale and a bit "tougher" than ribeye so i soaked it up in a tenderizing marindae
apple
asian pear
kiwi
(i don't like pineapple, but you can do that too)

and then just 1 onion/garlic/ginger

i just used a stick blender in a quart container, basically got to the rim.

then just threw it in with the beef along with splashes of soy and mirin

i used water displacement to get it mostly flat, i like it way it stores and "maybe" it has more surface area to marinade?
0212241732_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From the oil talk we had. What about grape seed? Fairly cheap at Costco, not sure if like olive and avocado it's more free from chemical bs than canola/ soy

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Bought a cheap electric 22" flat top from amazon a few months ago - best cooking thing we've bought, by some margin. Smashburgers, Fajita's, cheesesteaks, even just bacon/eggs - clean up is nothing, can cook a lot at one time and the burgers are fantastic. Was only $114 or something too.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bought a cheap electric 22" flat top from amazon a few months ago - best cooking thing we've bought, by some margin. Smashburgers, Fajita's, cheesesteaks, even just bacon/eggs - clean up is nothing, can cook a lot at one time and the burgers are fantastic. Was only $114 or something too.
black stone or even cheaper

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx you ever make sushi at home?

Number of years ago the wife had gotten me rolling kit, and I guess we're Valentine's I was going to go ahead and get the stuff to make it on Friday or Saturday. Was thinking maybe three or four types of rolls. Probably nothing super fancy, but just need to put my ingredient list together and watch some videos.

Was wondering if there was a particular brand of rice worth getting, along with the vinegar if you made it that you use.

Might end up being a cluster fuck, but I figure it's something fun we can do together in the kitchen this weekend.

Hell if anybody has suggestions I'm all ears.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx you ever make sushi at home?

Number of years ago the wife had gotten me rolling kit, and I guess we're Valentine's I was going to go ahead and get the stuff to make it on Friday or Saturday. Was thinking maybe three or four types of rolls. Probably nothing super fancy, but just need to put my ingredient list together and watch some videos.

Was wondering if there was a particular brand of rice worth getting, along with the vinegar if you made it that you use.

Might end up being a cluster fuck, but I figure it's something fun we can do together in the kitchen this weekend.

Hell if anybody has suggestions I'm all ears.
you can get a small ball of good jap rice
Tamanishiki Super Premium Short Grain Rice, 4.4-Pounds

if youre gonna suck at rolling cuz you suck at using the mat or you didn't use saran wrap, get the sushi bazooka

wow it's only 7 bucks, coulda sworn i paid 20 a few years ago
yes it does work well tbh, i've messed up a few rolls to roll decently back in the day, but you need no skill with the sushi bazooka
URED Professional Super Space Sushi Bazooka, Upgrade Sushi Making Kit Mold Food Grade Plastic,Sushi Maker Rice Vegetable Meat Diy Machinekitchen Utensils For Beginners

of course youre not gonna forget rice vinegar

btw, make more rice than you need cuz you'll fuck up, even w/ the sushi bazooka

so if you do mess up that bad, maybe make some onigiri from it
Onigiri Mold, 3 Pack Rice Mold Musubi Maker Kit, Musubi Maker Press, Classic Triangle Rice Ball Mold Maker Sushi Mold for Kid Lunch Bento, Home DIY

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
you can get a small ball of good jap rice
Tamanishiki Super Premium Short Grain Rice, 4.4-Pounds

if youre gonna suck at rolling cuz you suck at using the mat or you didn't use saran wrap, get the sushi bazooka

wow it's only 7 bucks, coulda sworn i paid 20 a few years ago
yes it does work well tbh, i've messed up a few rolls to roll decently back in the day, but you need no skill with the sushi bazooka
URED Professional Super Space Sushi Bazooka, Upgrade Sushi Making Kit Mold Food Grade Plastic,Sushi Maker Rice Vegetable Meat Diy Machinekitchen Utensils For Beginners

of course youre not gonna forget rice vinegar

btw, make more rice than you need cuz you'll fuck up, even w/ the sushi bazooka

so if you do mess up that bad, maybe make some onigiri from it
Onigiri Mold, 3 Pack Rice Mold Musubi Maker Kit, Musubi Maker Press, Classic Triangle Rice Ball Mold Maker Sushi Mold for Kid Lunch Bento, Home DIY
Yeah, I saw one of the bazooka kits on Amazon when I was looking around. Probably pick one up. I still like to learn how to roll them by hand so you can make the types of rolls where the rice is on the outside along with ingredients on the top.

I did see some sort of silicone rolling mat, which I guess would alleviate the need for using plastic wrap all the time.

Any particular vinegar?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I saw one of the bazooka kits on Amazon when I was looking around. Probably pick one up. I still like to learn how to roll them by hand so you can make the types of rolls where the rice is on the outside along with ingredients on the top.

I did see some sort of silicone rolling mat, which I guess would alleviate the need for using plastic wrap all the time.

Any particular vinegar?
well you can just get rice vingar and call it a day
f056a4e0920f746bf99b114aeb937d68.png

or you can get the seasoned gold label for 10x Mizkan Rice Vinegar(Jun Kome Su) 500 mil-16.9 Fl Oz. Pack of 1. Gold Label

if youre making an amazon order, i'd probably just add the gold label
(i don't remember it being that expensive, maybe $10 when i had some, but, i guess biden)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
well you can just get rice vingar and call it a day
f056a4e0920f746bf99b114aeb937d68.png

or you can get the seasoned gold label for 10x Mizkan Rice Vinegar(Jun Kome Su) 500 mil-16.9 Fl Oz. Pack of 1. Gold Label

if youre making an amazon order, i'd probably just add the gold label
(i don't remember it being that expensive, maybe $10 when i had some, but, i gue

I'm assuming seasoned means it has the salt sugar and kombu already infused in it?

I guess another question is do you ever buy any fish and use it for sushi from the regular grocery store, or is it always from a fishmonger?

I ask because I know HEB has flash frozen fish, but I also know there's kind of a debate between the whole sushi grade versus regular. I get a little weary when it comes to trying to figure out what the hell to use if I just want to have a spicy tuna roll or whatever.

Was thinking about playing it safe and just getting some king crab, and maybe just doing some smoked salmon or something easy just a learn how to sort of put it all together and make it work. I know it's white boy sushi, but I'm not opposed to picking up and doing raw fish, I just don't have any relationships with a local seafood vendor so it starts to get sketchy. In fact I don't think we've got one anywhere close to where I live.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm assuming seasoned means it has the salt sugar and kombu already infused in it?

I guess another question is do you ever buy any fish and use it for sushi from the regular grocery store, or is it always from a fishmonger?

I ask because I know HEB has flash frozen fish, but I also know there's kind of a debate between the whole sushi grade versus regular. I get a little weary when it comes to trying to figure out what the hell to use if I just want to have a spicy tuna roll or whatever.

Was thinking about playing it safe and just getting some king crab, and maybe just doing some smoked salmon or something easy just a learn how to sort of put it all together and make it work. I know it's white boy sushi, but I'm not opposed to picking up and doing raw fish, I just don't have any relationships with a local seafood vendor so it starts to get sketchy. In fact I don't think we've got one anywhere close to where I live.
flash frozen is good,
japanese get frozen tuna sticks, soak in ziploc with icewater and it's ready

how white boy are you gonna be? do you need spicy mayo? did you get kewpie?
[KEWPIE Official Store] Japanese Mayonnaise, Rich and Creamy Umami Taste, Made In Japan (2 Packs) mix some kewpie and sriracha and thats like white boy spice mayo for rolls

how much variety you want? you gonna have shrimp tempura rolls?