Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
gonna get me some instant Jjajangmen, gonna try a brand my friend said is good paldo and i picked up a ottogi brand i'm familiar w/. the problem i have w/ jjajangmen is i don't ever really use black bean paste (it actually is used in flavoring for chinese cooking, where jjajangmen came from really) so it ends up rotting in my fridge. i'll tell you how legit they are.

i'm sure you'd have to add some veggies to it, to really get it, maybe a bit of daikon and zucchini and some pork to make it a real meal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
gonna get me some instant Jjajangmen, gonna try a brand my friend said is good paldo and i picked up a ottogi brand i'm familiar w/. the problem i have w/ jjajangmen is i don't ever really use black bean paste (it actually is used in flavoring for chinese cooking, where jjajangmen came from really) so it ends up rotting in my fridge. i'll tell you how legit they are.

i'm sure you'd have to add some veggies to it, to really get it, maybe a bit of daikon and zucchini and some pork to make it a real meal.
We’ve tried ottogi before I think, I was ok. There are plenty of places around me within 10 minutes, so if we’re in the mood it’s an easy pick up.

That Netflix link is a show that talks about jajangmyeon and jampong and their origins from Chinese immigrants in Korea.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Last night I made dumplings filled with shredded pork and ginger soup. Having soup INSIDE the dumpling is something that I only just discovered. They were amazing. Would recommend.

This is a rough approximation of the recipe.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Last night I made dumplings filled with shredded pork and ginger soup. Having soup INSIDE the dumpling is something that I only just discovered. They were amazing. Would recommend.

i grew up eating this dudes xiao long bao in chinatown, then my wifes family would take us to the one in flushing every weekend

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i would replace the vinegar w/
919bc8840937d83e1a66a38dc8cdb425.png

Qian Hu Chinese Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine (Red) (750ml)

and make a dipping sauce w/
416PT1JmmuL.jpg

Gold Plum Chinkiang Vinegar, 18.6 Fl Oz (Pack of 1)

theres a better recipe out there i'll find one for you

*edit
woks of life has one, this looks good, looks like a restaurant recipe, they talk a lot of shit for the first 3 pages tho, so just scroll to the end

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bought a Pizza Stone and baked a dough for the first time in like 25 years.

Naepolana dough. Made a Poolish and let it sit for 24 hours and finished the dough today. Used whatever I had in the fridge as toppings. Best pizza I've had in years.

Was done in the oven as I dont have a gas or wood Pizza Oven, they are kinda pricey.

Not the prettiest pizza but the taste was on point.

PXL_20240217_141447602.MP.jpg

• 7Like
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 9 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Instead of a oven stone, look into pizza steel. The thicker the better. They are like $50-$100 will last you a lifetime, dont crack, they are not porous, and keep heat 100% better than any stone.

1708182523433.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Instead of a oven stone, look into pizza steel. The thicker the better. They are like $50-$100 will last you a lifetime, dont crack, they are not porous, and keep heat 100% better than any stone.

View attachment 514999
Yea I was pondering on what to get. Decided on a lava stone due to family suggestion. But steel will probably last longer for sure.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea I was pondering on what to get. Decided on a lava stone due to family suggestion. But steel will probably last longer for sure.
i've seen comparisons where after a certain temp the steel really starts to shine over stone, but you have to get your oven hot enough first

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I forget that the rotisserie kit I got for the Weber kettle has the pizza making implements. What's the weather warms up the spring I'll have to bust it out and try to make pizza.

Lanx Lanx you ever buy the pre-made dumplings at the Asian grocery store. I went to the one by the house this morning to pick up a couple of things for sushi night, and bought a bag of them, but I don't know what the hell the brands are, and if you need to steer clear a certain ones.

First time I was there though and it's not huge but it's got a pretty nice variety of stuff. Only thing I couldn't find was kombu that was on my list.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I forget that the rotisserie kit I got for the Weber kettle has the pizza making implements. What's the weather warms up the spring I'll have to bust it out and try to make pizza.

Lanx Lanx you ever buy the pre-made dumplings at the Asian grocery store. I went to the one by the house this morning to pick up a couple of things for sushi night, and bought a bag of them, but I don't know what the hell the brands are, and if you need to steer clear a certain ones.

First time I was there though and it's not huge but it's got a pretty nice variety of stuff. Only thing I couldn't find was kombu that was on my list.
you probably missed it, most every asian grocer will have kombu, it's essential
3c95e86ba061ae92055d0813cf6a4a90.jpg

it'd be in the "dried" stuff, dried shitake, dried tea leaves (usually)

dumplings or gyoza?

like dumplings for dim sum? dumplings for steaming? xiao long bao?

cuz in order to steam you need a steamer and since most steamers are huge, you need a wok to use it, or a really large 12in skillet and since i've never tried a "roundabout" way of doing it

i just tell my friends to buy gyoza and call it a day. ajinomoto makes a good frozen gyoza, you'd easily remember it as it's the brand that your favorite rice asian uses as msg
d362de6219c9f6a29b186e19a248208e.png

cuz for gyoza all you need is a skillet and a lid. get your skillet hot on high, drop in frozen gyzoa
(choose the flat side so it looks nice)

put 2 tbls of water to steam and cover with lid, like youre making a burger w/ melted cheese, for 5mins

but if youre looking for a shrimp dumpling (har gow) youre gonna want the ones that come individually separated
d1244d0a4d3a032ded003c1e21e75b8a.png

b/c the ones that come in a bag will break on you, they separate it individually b/c the skin(dough) is so thin if it's not kept intack (like if 1 sticks to another) then it'll just break apart when steaming and ooze all over.
(these are usually dominated by the veit congers, b/c all shrimp farming is done there)

you can get korean manduu which is japanese gyoza only w/ thicker skin and is probably more available in the brand bibigo

looks like this
a3180b26cdca968dd3bfeb81d826abb6.png

i see em in kroger and costco, they actually make a decent microwave steam dumpling, it's a tray and plastic container for 6, and microwave for 2mins, not bad. (it could use better sauce, but eh, i posted up on lurkingdirk lurkingdirk post you can just use chinese black vinegar and ginger for a sauce)

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
i've seen comparisons where after a certain temp the steel really starts to shine over stone, but you have to get your oven hot enough first

It's one of the reasons I got an upgraded hood fan and oven I can turn up to 11 with a pizza steel. Of course haven't tried any of them yet, but eventually we'll see if my efforts paid off because pizza in the convection oven used to set off smoke alarms and still not be very good.

Air fried meatballs which successfully tested the hood fan. No smoke alarms. Dog still ran outside to his preferred evacuation point just in case. Huge mess in the oven, though, so now I need to test out the cleaning settings (apparently steam clean works well with less chemicals).

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Bought a Pizza Stone and baked a dough for the first time in like 25 years.

Naepolana dough. Made a Poolish and let it sit for 24 hours and finished the dough today. Used whatever I had in the fridge as toppings. Best pizza I've had in years.

Was done in the oven as I dont have a gas or wood Pizza Oven, they are kinda pricey.

Not the prettiest pizza but the taste was on point.

View attachment 514998

Looks good. What was your method? Lots of disagreement on stone/steel placement and temps and such.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
you probably missed it, most every asian grocer will have kombu, it's essential
3c95e86ba061ae92055d0813cf6a4a90.jpg

it'd be in the "dried" stuff, dried shitake, dried tea leaves (usually)

dumplings or gyoza?

like dumplings for dim sum? dumplings for steaming? xiao long bao?

cuz in order to steam you need a steamer and since most steamers are huge, you need a wok to use it, or a really large 12in skillet and since i've never tried a "roundabout" way of doing it

i just tell my friends to buy gyoza and call it a day. ajinomoto makes a good frozen gyoza, you'd easily remember it as it's the brand that your favorite rice asian uses as msg
d362de6219c9f6a29b186e19a248208e.png

cuz for gyoza all you need is a skillet and a lid. get your skillet hot on high, drop in frozen gyzoa
(choose the flat side so it looks nice)

put 2 tbls of water to steam and cover with lid, like youre making a burger w/ melted cheese, for 5mins

but if youre looking for a shrimp dumpling (har gow) youre gonna want the ones that come individually separated
d1244d0a4d3a032ded003c1e21e75b8a.png

b/c the ones that come in a bag will break on you, they separate it individually b/c the skin(dough) is so thin if it's not kept intack (like if 1 sticks to another) then it'll just break apart when steaming and ooze all over.
(these are usually dominated by the veit congers, b/c all shrimp farming is done there)

you can get korean manduu which is japanese gyoza only w/ thicker skin and is probably more available in the brand bibigo

looks like this
a3180b26cdca968dd3bfeb81d826abb6.png

i see em in kroger and costco, they actually make a decent microwave steam dumpling, it's a tray and plastic container for 6, and microwave for 2mins, not bad. (it could use better sauce, but eh, i posted up on lurkingdirk lurkingdirk post you can just use chinese black vinegar and ginger for a sauce)
Gyoza I guess, but they all look like dumplings. I did pick up a leek and cabbage gyoza to give it a shot. We normally buy the trader Joe's ones or whatever, and they're okay but they had such a huge variety from a bunch of different brands I wasn't certain which ones were worth it. The reason to cook and always turn out well, but I was just more curious if there's particular ones that are just delicious.

I did look all over for the kombu, the one I'll I didn't really pay attention to was over by the tea, and maybe that's where it was at. I went to the place twice though and unfortunately they've only got like two people working there, and I couldn't find anybody to direct me. I don't know if it'll necessarily be a game breaking deal if I don't have it this time. I just figured they would definitely and I really tried to make certain I scanned the aisles.

Aazrael

Looks good. What was your method? Lots of disagreement on stone/steel placement and temps and such.
We use only electric ovens in Sweden so maxed out the oven at 325C I think it is. Overhead grill was on and the top varm air fan was on and bottom heat also. Put the stone in the middle and it seemed to have worked. Can probably raise it a notch for better heat on the Pizza, The result was more than good enough for a first try though.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gyoza I guess, but they all look like dumplings. I did pick up a leek and cabbage gyoza to give it a shot. We normally buy the trader Joe's ones or whatever, and they're okay but they had such a huge variety from a bunch of different brands I wasn't certain which ones were worth it. The reason to cook and always turn out well, but I was just more curious if there's particular ones that are just delicious.

I did look all over for the kombu, the one I'll I didn't really pay attention to was over by the tea, and maybe that's where it was at. I went to the place twice though and unfortunately they've only got like two people working there, and I couldn't find anybody to direct me. I don't know if it'll necessarily be a game breaking deal if I don't have it this time. I just figured they would definitely and I really tried to make certain I scanned the aisles.
this? it's what i google for trader joe dumplings
890da0dff4e9fcf9b6ea3359d9511f2f.png

in which case thats xiao long bao, the pork soup dumplings that lurkingdirk lurkingdirk had a post on

kombu for japanese is to make dashi, what needs dashi? miso soup?, but yea dashi is basically nothing w/o kombu it's basically the essence of umami

if the asian grocer really didn't have kombu (which is like saying they don't sell rice) then for next time try amazon
WEL-PAC Dashi Kombu Dried Seaweed (Pack 1)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
this? it's what i google for trader joe dumplings
890da0dff4e9fcf9b6ea3359d9511f2f.png

in which case thats xiao long bao, the pork soup dumplings that lurkingdirk lurkingdirk had a post on

kombu for japanese is to make dashi, what needs dashi? miso soup?, but yea dashi is basically nothing w/o kombu it's basically the essence of umami

if the asian grocer really didn't have kombu (which is like saying they don't sell rice) then for next time try amazon
WEL-PAC Dashi Kombu Dried Seaweed (Pack 1)
I don't think we ever bought those, but I guess I was thinking of their gyoza and shumi

The kombu was to put a piece in the rice vinegar solution. I saw morimoto do it, and a few other sushi making videos I watched the other day. They basically took the rice vinegar and then dissolved sugar salt and then put a piece of combo in it and let it sit for so many hours, I'm at time kind of varied all across the map. I guess that's why I asked the other day whether or not the rice vinegar if it says seasoned has already done the salt sugar and kombu, where do you just take the regular non-season vinegar and add those things in it.