Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Another post implying that theres some mystical quality about "good rice" that only Asians can detect.

But without even a basic description of what makes a difference.

Rice is rice. Give me at least a description of the difference you imagine you're detecting.

I'm reminded of the famous stories about Brits who claimed they could detect whether you put the milk or the tea in the cup first. For those not familiar, these stories are a staple of statistics classes. The punchline is that hell no they couldnt actually tell the difference, it was all in their imaginations.
do you use walmart rice?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Another post implying that theres some mystical quality about "good rice" that only Asians can detect.

Rice is rice. Give me at least a description of the difference you imagine you're detecting.

I'm reminded of the famous stories about Brits who claimed they could detect whether you put the milk or the tea in the cup first. For those not familiar, these stories are a staple of statistics classes. The punchline is that hell no they couldnt actually tell the difference, it was all in their imaginations.
Nothing mystical, it's just different types of rice and different cooking methods. Good is a subjective term.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nothing mystical, it's just different types of rice and different cooking methods. Good is a subjective term.
I would guess that like any produce/food there are differences in quality based on how it’s raised/grown. Though I can also see it being much harder to tell for things like rice.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is definitely different types of rice. Us whiteys are just used to the long grain BS were sold in the local supermarket. But you go to any asian store and they will have like 15 different varieties. They all cook different some are sticky, some are small perle type of seed, some are larger, but still not long grain, we have the flavored ones like jasmine... And indians have their own rice too, basmati, which is like 2x long grain and has to be cooked even different so you dont break the super long seed.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I would guess that like any produce/food there are differences in quality based on how it’s raised/grown. Though I can also see it being much harder to tell for things like rice.
That's a factor too. Rice is a massive cultural thing in Asian countries. They rarely sell the really good shit to other countries, because the demand at home is huuuuuuge. And they do have regional specific ways of cooking it. I talk about Japanese rice because I had a ton of it when I was there. And even the worst of it was vastly superior to 95% of any rice dish I have ever had in America. Hot, cold, fresh, leftovers, it was just amazing. It actually had an identifiable flavor and texture that rice in the US usually doesn't. We use rice as a garnish or a vehicle for other foods. In Japan rice is often the main dish.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Shit, we have too many types of rice. Cheap long grain for emergency, brown (least favorite), wild, some jasmine, and this really fantastic Basmati.

IMG_20240309_145538539.jpg

Probably the best rice I've ever bought, and I'll use it over most anything else.

Oh, and I think there's a bag of arboreal for risotto and now sushi rice.

Point is they all have their purpose but man there really is a night and day difference between good stuff and the cheap crap. Doesn't mean the cheap stuff doesn't have its place, but the higher quality rice definitely seems to cook up easier. I don't have a rice cooker and everything is on the stove top, but I've got my dedicated non-stick pot, and I think I've got it down pat at this point, except for maybe the sushi rice, but that'll come with practice.

Lanx Lanx I think this was the one you had suggested right?

IMG_20240309_150600942_HDR.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Shit, we have too many types of rice. Cheap long grain for emergency, brown (least favorite), wild, some jasmine, and this really fantastic Basmati.

View attachment 518942
Probably the best rice I've ever bought, and I'll use it over most anything else.

Oh, and I think there's a bag of arboreal for risotto and now sushi rice.

Point is they all have their purpose but man there really is a night and day difference between good stuff and the cheap crap. Doesn't mean the cheap stuff doesn't have its place, but the higher quality rice definitely seems to cook up easier. I don't have a rice cooker and everything is on the stove top, but I've got my dedicated non-stick pot, and I think I've got it down pat at this point, except for maybe the sushi rice, but that'll come with practice.

Lanx Lanx I think this was the one you had suggested right?

View attachment 518944
yea i think thats about as good as you'll get for shortgrain koshihikari, if you wanna try imported theres an option too.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The Jasmine rice you get at grocery stores around here sucks. I tend to stick to Basmati just because it's the most consistent. I know what I'm getting

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Wrong.

Premium Shortgrain is objectively superior to cheapass rice. The texture and flavor are noticeable. I did not believe this unil I started buying premium shortgrain. The same can be said for Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce vs Kikkoman Soy Sauce. The flavor quality is noticeable no matter how whitebread you are.

Now its almost all I buy outside of when Long Grain is necessary for certain dishes.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
yea i think thats about as good as you'll get for shortgrain koshihikari, if you wanna try imported theres an option too.
I just made two cups for tonight's dinner experiments on the stove top and I think I'm getting it down. It's fluffy but still sticky if you compact it. I can finally dialed in the ratio of one to one, bring it to a boil and then turn it as low as possible and cover. I only took about 10 minutes and then just shut it off.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah thats what I use for stovetop, one to one, bring it to boil with 2/3 the water then when it reaches boil pour in the rest (to stop the boil), turn stove down to 2, 25-30 min, then fluff with fork, and it always comes out perfect.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is Basmati the kind that they usually have at Indian restaurants where it doesn't stick together at all?

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Is Basmati the kind that they usually have at Indian restaurants where it doesn't stick together at all?
Yeah, it's fantastic. You can also cook it and get that crispy bottom Lanx mentioned. That's supposed to be pretty special for Indian cuisine if I'm not mistaken.

I'll typicallly use a little bit of olive oil and then if I have aromatics like garlic or Ginger, do that in the oil but you can also use dried spices. It's surprisingly subtle just adding a smash clove of garlic or a couple slices of ginger, or if you have fresh herbs to hand like sage a few leaves. I've never managed that overpower the rice but it always just kind of enhances it.

Then toss the grains in The fragrant oil, and toast those for maybe about a minute, then I add my water. Once it's boiling stir it once put the lid on, turn the heat down, and wait. Towards the end all pull the lid off and once it starts setting up, take the end of a wooden spoon and just kind of poke holes around the pot to let the rest of the moisture escape. Always turns out great. I guess you would just leave it in longer to get that crispy bottom if you wanted it, and maybe add some butter to help brown.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You can make some chicken bryani with basmati. Get chicken pieces and marinade in yougurt, mint, cilantro, garlic ginger paste, cumin, coriander red chili powder (non spicy kind). Then you have to soak and cook the rice like pasta to get it to 50% done, and drain. Place the chicken mixture at bottom of oven safe pot. Make sure the pot has a good sealing lid. Then add the 50% done rice on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the rice with some saffron water (soak saffron in some hot water) and bake for about a hour or 1.5 hours at 350F. You can also add some fried onions on top of the rice.You can also add some cut up indian green chili to the chicken mixture too for some spice, I think they are serrano.

Chicken comes out super tender and the rice is flavored by the chicken mixture.

He makes this on stove top but I find that it works better for me if I do the rice to 50% and bake the shit so you dont have to watch it as close on stovetop. But there is other ways to make this. Just look at youtube and they will have 101 ways to make this shit. Like some saute the chicken mixture beforehand and add this to 80%-90% done rice in layers. I guess that would be a good and even quicker way to make this too.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users