Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I know it should be simple but a walk thru of how you did yours? I'm never happy with mine but I don't have a real grill though I need to try working with the ninja kinda George foreman thing my wife got some more
well it'd be harder and silly to do a smashburger on a surface that has ridges, you just need any flat pan and "smash" make thin, the patty so that it has the most meat to surface contact to form the browning everywhere

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
well it'd be harder and silly to do a smashburger on a surface that has ridges, you just need any flat pan and "smash" make thin, the patty so that it has the most meat to surface contact to form the browning everywhere
His just looked like nice char like some grill time might be there, Maybe I use too lean burger but I can't imagine that char in a smiley without just making it tough and dry

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I know it should be simple but a walk thru of how you did yours? I'm never happy with mine but I don't have a real grill though I need to try working with the ninja kinda George foreman thing my wife got some more

It's so simple. This was a double so two 3oz balls of ground meat. Heat up a cast iron pan on ultra high heat. Once smoking add a high smoke temp oil (ghee or avocado oil). Place a ball of meat on the pan and press down hard with one of these with a sheet of parchment paper between the press and the meat to prevent sticking. Salt and pepper the flattened meat. It'll be so thinly spread out that it'll take no time to cook. Like 45 seconds. Use a nice wide flat spatula to flip it, place a slice of American cheese on it and wait another 30-45 seconds. That's all there is to it really.

And you can't use anything too lean. 80/20 is best.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx you got work to do. Report back and let us know if any are worth buying, thanks

1. poor incel mans dishwasher
2. nope they get stuck, i had to buy a more powerful one for risotto
3. why, also, now you have a spike of death just stick up
4. i guess, but a battery vac takes up way less space, also anyone that has ever swept knows that once you get past 5ft of sweeping, all that shit is left behind
5. is that just an impeller?
6. kill yourself if you can't crack an egg
7. i could see that banana thing being a pretty cool treat actually
8. silicone ice cube tray is like pretty old
9. wth, this one is just a "generic" drain cleaner

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx my new wok arrived. However I was sitting outside a smoking a cigar and drinking a cocktail, and a jogger delivered it and he got weirded out because I was sitting out on my front porch, and he had to take a picture of it being delivered. I figured you might appreciate something that God damn stupid.

I'm actually pretty excited about using it though. I think I'm going to do some Mongolian beef later this week.
IMG_20240415_195636922.jpg

Many meals that will turn out to be outstanding are in the immediate future.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lanx Lanx my new wok arrived. However I was sitting outside a smoking a cigar and drinking a cocktail, and a jogger delivered it and he got weirded out because I was sitting out on my front porch, and he had to take a picture of it being delivered. I figured you might appreciate something that God damn stupid.

I'm actually pretty excited about using it though. I think I'm going to do some Mongolian beef later this week. View attachment 524887

Many meals that will turn out to be outstanding are in the immediate future.
did he take a pic of you b/c you are the hulk?

cast iron wok...

oh you got the non handle restaurant kind too, well you wouldn't have been flipping w/ that anyway then (you would have taken a gloved or towel wrap hand and placed your thumb over the handle ears and four fingers under the wok, basically like you were trying to cop a feel).

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
did he take a pic of you b/c you are the hulk?

cast iron wok...

oh you got the non handle restaurant kind too, well you wouldn't have been flipping w/ that anyway then (you would have taken a gloved or towel wrap hand and placed your thumb over the handle ears and four fingers under the wok, basically like you were trying to cop a feel).
Don't think I need it to be as late as nimble as a carbon steel. I think I'm going to be able to make some really good stir fry with it. It's going to be good, I will make certain to share photos of send meals.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Don't think I need it to be as late as nimble as a carbon steel. I think I'm going to be able to make some really good stir fry with it. It's going to be good, I will make certain to share photos of send meals.
heres a vid on you would have learned to flip it, if it was carbon steel

(i don't like the way this guy moves btw, but he fries well enough)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
heres a vid on you would have learned to flip it, if it was carbon steel

IMG_20240415_201548997~2.jpg

I'm excited as hell. Think I'm going to pick up a flank steak and do Mongolian beef this week. It looks really well preseasoned. Will probably fire it up out on the gas grill and get that good wok-a

I think it was 80 bucks, which isn't exactly cheap but I'm very impressed with just the fit and finish. I'm going to make some meals like it was The siege on firebase Gloria.

An honesty I'm very surprised at how well the preseason coating is. It's really good.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 524890
I'm excited as hell. Think I'm going to pick up a flank steak and do Mongolian beef this week. It looks really well preseasoned. Will probably fire it up out on the gas grill and get that good wok-a

I think it was 80 bucks, which isn't exactly cheap but I'm very impressed with just the fit and finish. I'm going to make some meals like it was The siege on firebase Gloria.

An honesty I'm very surprised at how well the preseason coating is. It's really good.
if it's as good as my bruntmor tangine you should be happy
81a21174c718e6a52f5d3fc297d7d76f.png

lulz my tagine is probably the same size and heft as your wok w/ the heavy ass lid ha...

shipping weight 15lbs

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

lulz my tagine is probably the same size and heft as your wok w/ the heavy ass lid ha....

shipping weight 15lbs
In all honesty I'm pretty surprised of how good it seems. It's pretty beefy, and the preseason coating is surprisingly good. I told my wife I'm making Mongolian beef this week. I'm very happy with the purchase, despite it being more than I really wanted to spend.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

lulz my tagine is probably the same size and heft as your wok w/ the heavy ass lid ha...

shipping weight 15lbs
That's the same brand as my wok

Attachments

• IMG_20240415_204739206.jpg
    IMG_20240415_204739206.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 2

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sorry , missed that, my wife was bugging me about dinner. Not going to let her eat Mongolian beef this week if she keeps it up.
yea i recognized the font on your box and i was wondering why it looked familiar ha

on another note i got nice spatulla/burger flipper
b4e9cb85dd064b4a268f30996d9a3f55.png

it's nice heavyish and very stiff so i can use the back end to smash burgers really well

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
View attachment 524890

A longish handle, rounded wok spatula will be useful. Gotta flip and move the food, not the wok when it's cast iron. I've used a rounded silicone spatula and it worked okay, but gets hot and doesn't scrape clean very well. Long stainless steel spoon worked better but felt slightly dumb. Wok spatula is best for a reason, though, properly curved and durable to work the food.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A longish handle, rounded wok spatula will be useful. Gotta flip and move the food, not the wok when it's cast iron. I've used a rounded silicone spatula and it worked okay, but gets hot and doesn't scrape clean very well. Long stainless steel spoon worked better but felt slightly dumb. Wok spatula is best for a reason, though, properly curved and durable to work the food.
this is the most asian wok spatula i could find on amazon
32d56f00f32178332d7ab1db25ab2608.png

Craft Wok Small Wok Spatula Stainless Steel Wok Chuan Turner with Ergonomic Wooden Handle Traditional Asian Cooking Utensil / 732W5-1

there are other ones, but they look shitty

• 2Like